PDA

View Full Version : Pneumatic Hold Down Clamps

Alan Lightstone
06-27-2023, 8:50 AM
Looking at the OMGA website after the thread a few days ago got me thinking. One thing I dislike about my Kapex is that the hold-down clamps are too far lateral, and don't help with many pieces I am cutting. The OMGA has an option of pneumatic hold-down clamps.

Anyone make / use these? Looks like a pricey endeavor, but its got me thinking... They would really need to auto-adjust for thickness, or probably wouldn't be worth the time to adjust every time.

George Yetka
06-27-2023, 8:57 AM
I also dont like that you are given the ability to add a sacrificial fence but if you put one on, even a thin one, you dont get much use out of the hold down. I had aspirations of mounting something behind my kapex on either side far enough back that I get full swing either way and will allow hold down from anywhere while using a fence.

Jim Becker
06-27-2023, 9:45 AM
Airtight and others make pneumatic clamps systems. Yes, they are pricey but many folks equip sliding table saws and other tools with them for safety and/or convenience. You can also "roll your own" as the various components to create them are not hard to come by.

Alan Lightstone
06-27-2023, 10:03 AM
Airtight and others make pneumatic clamps systems. Yes, they are pricey but many folks equip sliding table saws and other tools with them for safety and/or convenience. You can also "roll your own" as the various components to create them are not hard to come by.
Wow. Those look pretty awesome (although really for shapers and sliding table saws). Gotta be pricey.

Joel Gelman
06-27-2023, 11:49 AM
When I had a Kapex, I had an Airtight clamp made for it by Mac Campsure. Total waste for me as it was bulky and no ideal way to mount and position it close to the blade. That is not to say the Airtight clamps are not great. I have them for a slider table saw and ALWAYS use them and would never want to be without them.

With the OMGA, I have the clamps, and mentioned them on another recent thread on OMGA. I use them every time I use the saw. The vertical clamps can be positioned on both sides of the blade close to the blade, especially for 90 degree cuts. For miters, they can be adjusted a bit farther away.

For me, the ability to have these clamps that are made for the saw are the main reason I went with the OMGA, I think they are a safety feature as I think the Mac clamps are a safety feature for the slider.

When it comes to safety, for me, that is justification for a purchase as I can't afford to not invest in safety. It is my way of paying for disability insurance.

Ron Selzer
06-27-2023, 11:53 AM
"When it comes to safety, for me, that is justification for a purchase as I can't afford to not invest in safety. It is my way of paying for disability insurance."

WHERE IS THE LIKE BUTTON??

Ron

Joel Gelman
06-27-2023, 11:58 AM
As an FYI, the OMGA clamps come with a foot pedal. Really cool to put the wood up against the stop, step on the pedal and cut with neither hand touching the wood. Amazing how easily, accurately, and safely you can cut rails and stiles and/or face frame and/or drawer parts to length with the OMGA and clamps with good dust collection.

Alan Lightstone
06-28-2023, 8:08 AM
"When it comes to safety, for me, that is justification for a purchase as I can't afford to not invest in safety. It is my way of paying for disability insurance."

WHERE IS THE LIKE BUTTON??

Ron
My local Woodcraft refuses to let its workers use the Festool hold down clamps when they cut on their Kapex. Unbelievable.

Richard Coers
06-29-2023, 11:24 AM
I was going to say it's a good diy project, but then saw the prices of air cylinders today. Wow! I used to pick them up at a surplus store for $10 each.