PDA

View Full Version : omga miter saws.. who is buying these?

andrew whicker
06-26-2023, 9:32 AM
https://www.omgainc.com/products/2076-t-53-370.html

I'm just curious. They don't have a ton of capacity. Is this something to spend on money because you're making picture frames, but you don't own a V cutting machine?

Has anyone used one? I'd hope there is zero blade deflection at the cost...

I was curious because I see on on FB marketplace for $4k (used). Just seems very expensive for such small capacity. I'm not sure what type of business buys this equipment.

Jim Becker
06-26-2023, 9:34 AM
Several 'Creekers, including Brian Holcomb, use Omga. They are expensive but "darn accurate". Many use induction motors, too...they are not the typical screaming, mass market miter saws. :)

andrew whicker
06-26-2023, 9:41 AM
They look really well made. Nothing negative to say about them.

I was more curious where they fit. I guess you have their radial arm saw and this miter.

Their radial arm saw looks very nice.

I suppose the crown molding cut in your shop would be done with this machine.

Jim Becker
06-26-2023, 10:47 AM
They absolutely have a place in work where that format saw is indicated and the smoothness of operation combined with incredible precision counts. I had an opportunity "fondle" Brian's Omga saw (actually his first one...I think he upgraded later) and it was a superb machine and amazingly smooth. You could feel that. Not for everyone for sure, however, and yes, IMHO best for workstation use in a shop.

Kent A Bathurst
06-26-2023, 11:14 AM
They are used in industrial applications. All of their product line. I used their arm saws and up-cut saws in various processes. Never used their miter saws, but for no other reason than I was using CTD instead

Often had air-actuated material clamps and air-actuated cut stroke - dual palm buttons so I knew where the operator’s hands were when the cycle started

I’d expect very good quality and performance.

Jared Sankovich
06-26-2023, 11:23 AM
They look really well made. Nothing negative to say about them.

I was more curious where they fit. I guess you have their radial arm saw and this miter.

Their radial arm saw looks very nice.

I suppose the crown molding cut in your shop would be done with this machine.

More than one person here is using them for crosscutting face frame stock.

Joel Gelman
06-26-2023, 1:06 PM
I have one, but not the compound miter, and purchased it before the recent price increase. Their clamps are a huge plus for safety. They come in vertical and horizontal and I think the vertical pushing down are the most important. Alternatively you can use them and also the horizontal to push the wood against the fence. I ALWAYS use the vertical clamps. As an FYI I believe they make or used to make saws other than the 350 and 370 for less money but a different animal. The way to know is look at the weight. The shipping weight of the 350 or 370 is 269+ lbs.

These are not for job site. These are for shop use, ideally with Accurate Technology pro stop or Tiger Stop or some other precision stop with fence infeed-outfeed. No one that has one has anything bad to say about them that I could find online, and I know several people who have them and love them.

It is for the person who wants to make face frames or drawer parts etc. where you go to the miter saw station, set the digital stop, and get the best most accurate no vibration or wobble cut. It is often used with a central dust collection unit where you push a button to turn it on, and then when you are done with all of your cuts, you push a button to turn if off, not like the Kapex where it turns on and off when you make and stop making the cut.

If you find one slightly used at a good price in excellent condition, I think it would hold its value well.

Phillip Mitchell
06-26-2023, 1:40 PM
I have been very close to buying a used model a few times, but just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Yes, the capacity is limited. I have looked at the 50-350 model (350mm blade diameter) and seen them as low as ~ $1k on the used market. The often come with their own stand + dust collection cabinet underneath.

I passed on an Omga radial arm for $400 a while back due to too large of a footprint. If I had a larger shop with actual space for a proper miter saw bench with ample outfeed support on both sides of the blade and integrated stops then I’m sure I would have already gotten one.

It is nice to have an dead accurate crosscut station with good stops from a workflow / production POV that is not only at your table saw / sliding table saw, at least for the wider range of custom stuff I do, but also for cabinet shops, as stated, for FF and drawer material. I have not found a carpentry / “on site” grade miter saw that can offer that repeatedly, especially for thicker material.

$4k is more than I would pay for a used one, but they are certainly around for less and often in great condition.

Patrick Kane
06-26-2023, 1:44 PM

Agreed, I assumed these were almost exclusively for cabinet shops cutting rails/stiles and face frame parts to length. They are quite heavy and would be a bear to transport. Not to mention, they are almost always three phase. Even though it's a miter saw, it really shouldnt be lumped in with that general classification.

andrew whicker
06-26-2023, 2:41 PM
Interesting. What made you go this route vs an upcut saw?

Kevin Jenness
06-26-2023, 2:52 PM
I picked up two non-tilting versions of this saw for my old employer- for $800! Replaced the capacitors and 10 years later they still run like a top. Dead nuts cuts, no blade deflection at all, used for face frames, moldings, anywhere an accurate finish cut is needed within the saws' capacity. They have an old radial arm and a DeWalt slide saw for rougher or larger work. Very useful for a custom shop. I suppose for production an upcut saw might be a better choice, but I can't imagine an improvement in accuracy. They are slow to get up to speed, but the switch can be modified to stay on rather than automatically toggle off.

Richard Coers
06-26-2023, 6:24 PM
Omga are made for long cycle times, like running pretty much for 8 hours with no issues. My friend has a radial arm saw which puts old and hobby radial arm saws to shame. Truth about you get what you pay for.

David Zaret
06-26-2023, 8:13 PM

that's me! have a 370, and love it. 95% of it is used to hack up face frame or door stock.

Keegan Shields
06-26-2023, 10:08 PM
There’s an Omga radial arm saw that’s been listed on the Dallas/Fort Worth Craigslist for over a year. Owner is asking for $1,750 but I bet he would take less. 3 phase. Looks like a beast.

Joel Gelman
06-27-2023, 12:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhm67OPcvc&t=186s

Great demo of the Omga at 6:45 on this fantastic video. What is not shown is the OMGA with clamps, and I think the clamps with foot pedal is a great option. Nice how OMGA makes clamps that are low profile that attach to the saw so that you can. clamp close to the blade on both sides. With the clamps you do not have to even touch the wood when making the cut. Super safety feature.

David Zaret
06-27-2023, 6:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhm67OPcvc&t=186s

Great demo of the Omga at 6:45 on this fantastic video. What is not shown is the OMGA with clamps, and I think the clamps with foot pedal is a great option. Nice how OMGA makes clamps that are low profile that attach to the saw so that you can. clamp close to the blade on both sides. With the clamps you do not have to even touch the wood when making the cut. Super safety feature.

hey thanks joel. since filming this a number of years ago, i got a new fence (automated tiger stop), and mac's clamps on the OMGA. the clamps are indeed great - but, i didn't feel i could do the foot pedal given the tripping hazard and flow in my shop. if my saw was tucked away a bit more, i think that's a superb option. i'd love a photo of your setup, it might inspire further improvement.

Matthew Formoso
06-27-2023, 11:47 PM
professional cabinet shops are buying these. They last forever and are very accurate. My shop uses a Dewalt and I dread having to cut miters.

Simon Dupay
06-28-2023, 1:28 AM
there's also CTD saws which seem to be just as good, We have the omga at work after replacing a few dozen aluminum saws

brent stanley
06-28-2023, 7:11 AM
Wadkin Bursgreen, Stromab, Graule etc are still making top tier radial arm saws that work at the pinnacle of accuracy and precision.

https://www.scosarg.com/graule-model-zs200n-radial-arm-saw-for-aluminium

https://www.scosarg.com/stromab-us11-500mm-universal-radial-arm-saw-zm292

Joel Gelman
07-01-2023, 7:46 PM
Hi David,

I emailed you 2 short video clips of the Omega clamps being used. one focuses on the clamps and the other is farther back showing the foot pedal. I guess Sawmillcreek does not support video clip uploads, only images and links to video clips. If that is not the case, and someone can guide me, happy to upload here. I really do not do instagram and all that. I am attaching a screenshot. I setup a dual dust collection with the main collection using the port on the saw but a secondary collection as shown. That gets in the way when not at 90 degrees (95+ % of my cuts) and so I can use the mag switch to get it out of the way when doing miters.

John Erickson
07-02-2023, 5:28 PM
When I purchased my MEC 300 20+ years ago for my cabinet shop, I built a steel frame that my 4' infeed and 8' stop side tables are mounted. At the same time I purchased from Maya Positioning, 2 guide rails and 2 Rigid Posi-Stop Model 2. The whole setup works so well that in 20+ years I have had no issues with accuracy. My saw has been discontinued many years ago but parts are still available, I had to replace the on/off switch recently.