PDA

View Full Version : Insect Bites

ChrisA Edwards
06-25-2023, 9:04 AM
Just passing this along.

My wife reacts badly to bug bites and seems to be one of those people that Mosquito's, etc., swarm to.

A friend recommended this device and my wife has been using it now for a few weeks, while camping and generally when bugs are present.

When she gets bitten, she zaps herself and immediately the itching and swelling, disappears.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MT4Z89C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Tom M King
06-25-2023, 11:56 AM
Ordered one. Thanks. I see it works from heat.

Jim Becker
06-25-2023, 12:39 PM
Professor Dr. SWMBO got one when she was still involved in beekeeping, even though stings were rare...definitely works.

Stan Calow
06-25-2023, 1:21 PM
Heard of them, but assumed it was a "as seen on TV" thing. So worth a try. We have a problem with oak mites here. It's a parasite of certain wasps, that form galls in mostly pin oaks. Drops from trees onto people by accident. Bites are much more painful, itchy and sometimes leave long-lasting (months) marks on some people. I am hoping this works for them too.

Jim Koepke
06-25-2023, 5:24 PM
Something that may also help relieve the pain of insect encounters is a common "weed" known as plantain major and/or plantain lanceolata:

Both are common across North America, even though they were not here before Europeans set foot on the continent.

Crush a fresh leaf or two and apply to the bite or sting.

Occasionally at the farmers market someone would get bit or stung and this grew in many places around the site. People were surprised at how quickly the pain was relieved.

jtk

Thomas McCurnin
06-25-2023, 9:34 PM
Benedryl (the pink pills) also work

Stan Calow
06-25-2023, 9:37 PM
Both are common across North America, even though they were not here before Europeans set foot on the continent.

jtk

The native Tribes around here calledit "white man's foot" for that reason.

Kev Williams
06-25-2023, 11:20 PM
assuming what I read the other day is true;

-Mosquitoes kill more humans than any other creature on earth--

I've always used anything I can find with Deet to keep them away-
fortunately other than the basic pesky itch bug bites don't affect me too much, thankfully....

Jim Koepke
06-26-2023, 1:11 AM
The native Tribes around here calledit "white man's foot" for that reason.

Yep, the seeds have tendency to stick to footwear and spread around that way. Where plantain grew, white man had walked.

-Mosquitoes kill more humans than any other creature on earth--

I've always used anything I can find with Deet to keep them away-
fortunately other than the basic pesky itch bug bites don't affect me too much, thankfully....

I do not like Deet or any of the spray on repellents. B vitamins, garlic and other aromatic herbs tend to smell terrible to most insects that view humans as a walking buffet. Mosquitos are attracted to a person who has eaten a banana. Something to avoid before going into the wild during mosquito season.

There are also some sources that claim a fabric softer sheet also tends to repel mosquitos and other insects. Let it hang out of your pocket or tie it through a belt loop.

jtk

Mel Fulks
06-26-2023, 1:47 AM
I’ve had good luck with pennyroyal grown in our yard. Easy to grow and, it spreads. Lots of warnings about using it only sparingly in
food. Has some toxicity. Crush before use. Women who are pregnant are warned in all the books to stay away from it.

Patty Hann
06-26-2023, 2:56 AM
I was born in Missouri, grew up there and left when I turned 19.
I can't recall ever getting bit by mosquitoes. I'd watch them alight on my forearm and ...nothing.
My Dad never got bit either. We both have hazel eyes.
Everyone else in my family (4 siblings) had brown eyes, as did my Mom. They always got bit...lots.
Maybe there was a genetic factor at play.

Here in AZ they don't bite me either.
Now, in both places they still drive me to distraction by buzzing around, especially that whining sound when they are close to your ears. I especially hate that.
Just no bites.

Maurice Mcmurry
06-26-2023, 5:42 AM
I am not too troubled by mosquitoes but ticks are a real problem, chiggers too. I have started using lavender oil dissolved in alcohol then mixed with water. Witch hazel and soap are suggested as well but are not necessary. It works. When I spray myself and the dog down we do not come home with ticks and the dog does not itch and scratch all night long. As a bonus mosquitos, gnats and black files do not like lavender either.
If I remember correctly, it was during the construction of the Panama Canal that it was discovered that mosquitoes are responsible for Malaria.

Rob Luter
06-26-2023, 7:47 AM
Ordered one. Thanks. I see it works from heat.

We just used to hold the burning ember at the end of a lit cigarette close to the skin to heat the bite up. That's when I was young and stupid. I quit smoking decades ago.

I'm fortunate that mosquitos don't seem to like the vibe I'm putting down. I'm rarely bitten, and if so I don't show much if any evidence afterwards. It must be my body chemistry. I had a friend from the UK that had horrible reactions his first year in the US. Any mosquito bite resulted in a huge welt that looked like he'd been shot with a pellet gun.

Alan Rutherford
06-26-2023, 7:49 AM
Benedryl (the pink pills) also work

Benadryl does not play well with your brain, especially if you are older. A few might not hurt but if you're going to keep something around, one of the newer antihistamines like Claritin or Zyrtec don't cause the same problems.

Hot running water also kills the itch of bites and rashes.

Rob Luter
06-26-2023, 7:56 AM
https://thechive.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/WAR-06_25_23-1-14.png?attachment_cache_bust=4427375&w=600

Stan Calow
06-26-2023, 7:56 AM

-Mosquitoes kill more humans than any other creature on earth-- .

I heard it this way in school: that malaria (spread by mosquitoes) has killed half the people ever born on Earth.

It was the link between mosquitoes and yellow fever that was discovered during the Panama Canal construction. Walter Reed, US Army doc, with a hospital named after him.

DEET works; everything else works less well. And chemicals are chemicals, naturally derived or not.

Maurice Mcmurry
06-26-2023, 8:48 AM
Walter Reed! Thanks! the name had escaped me. It has been a few years since I read "Path To The Sea" and "Parting The Desert" Both are fascinating.

Jim Koepke
06-26-2023, 11:19 AM
I quit smoking decades ago.

I never smoked. The cigarette smoked. I was just the sucker.

Ten years free of my tobacco addiction.

jtk

Patty Hann
06-26-2023, 1:08 PM

jtk

Reminds me of this [stupid] joke:

Q: "Is it OK if I smoke?"

A: "Only if you are on fire."

:rolleyes:

Alan Lightstone
06-26-2023, 2:46 PM
I originally thought that this was nonsense, but in actuality it's been researched and seems valid. Who knew?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257884/

How it works (we all will go to sleep reading this. TL;DR totally acceptable:)

An explanation of the mechanism of action for the effectiveness of concentrated heat in this study can be found in the activation and suppression of receptors. A rapid temperature increase to a maximum of 51°C leads to an activation of transient receptor potential cation channel subfamily V member 1 (TRPV1) via C- and Aδ-fibers. Midge saliva leads to an activation effect comparable to the stimulation of the proteinase-activated receptor-2 (PAR-2). PAR-2 are localized on human skin mast cells. PAR2 activation leads to an increase of Ca2+ ions from intracellular calcium stores and subsequent histamine release. Through the activation of TRPV1 by concentrated heat, PAR-2 carrying C-fibers may be influenced, suppressing pruritus. Further clinical studies showed that itch intensity ratings were significantly reduced during repeated noxious heat.

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-26-2023, 5:16 PM
Thanks for sharing the product. I might have to give it a try one of these days. Mosquitos find their way to me whenever I do not have repellant on me.

Back in the 90's I was told if you rub the tips of a Bracken Fern on a bug bite, it will give quick relief, but I haven't given it a try yet.

I use a now hard-to-find horse product called Calm Coat. I stocked up on it years ago before the inventor sold it to a large company. It was originally designed to help rescue horses with skin conditions, but many of us found it also worked wonders on bee stings, bug bites and hives on all of our other critters and ourselves.

If you want to make your own repellent, there are tons of natural horse fly spray recipes online that use a combination of essential oils. The concoction works on both flies and mosquitos. I use it on our farm animals as well as myself.

Alan Lightstone
06-26-2023, 8:09 PM
I just received an email from the Florida Department of Health stating that there have been four confirmed cases of malaria in Sarasota County, just south of us. First cases in the US in 20 years. So that insect repellent is sounding better and better by the minute.

Stan Calow
06-27-2023, 7:54 AM
There are cases in Texas too. The significance is that in both Florida and Texas, theses cases were determined to be locally transmitted, not people who had traveled somewhere and brought it back.

Maurice Mcmurry
06-27-2023, 8:23 AM
Are we all going to have to be on malaria preventive's? Work took me to the D.R. and Nicaragua for several years and all of the meds were no fun.

Mel Fulks
06-27-2023, 11:16 AM
I don’t think it’s a warmer world. They tried to scare us about a colder world , called it another coming Ice Age , then switched it to warmer. I think it’s the same bunch
who decree ladies skirt lengths. And we have plenty of Deet. Global warming is a remake of of “Chicken Little” with more whimsy.

Jim Koepke
06-27-2023, 6:38 PM
I don’t think it’s a warmer world. They tried to scare us about a colder world , called it another coming Ice Age , then switched it to warmer. I think it’s the same bunch
who decree ladies skirt lengths. And we have plenty of Deet. Global warming is a remake of of “Chicken Little” with more whimsy.

The global cooling theory was debunked about 50 years ago:

Global cooling was a conjecture, especially during the 1970s, of imminent cooling of the Earth culminating in a period of extensive glaciation, due to the cooling effects of aerosols or orbital forcing. Some press reports in the 1970s speculated about continued cooling; these did not accurately reflect the scientific literature of the time, which was generally more concerned with warming from an enhanced greenhouse effect.

In the mid 1970s, the limited temperature series available suggested that the temperature had decreased for several decades up to then. As longer time series of higher quality became available, it became clear that global temperature showed significant increases overall.

From > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

If you know anyone in the Gulf Coast area, give them a call and ask them if they think they are going through global cooling.

In the Pacific Northwest in some places we are experiencing colder weather because of the melting of the Arctic ice pack. It all depends on wind patterns which are also changing.

jtk

Mike Soaper
06-27-2023, 10:57 PM
As someone who was in Antarctica and Greenland in the mid 70's the changes there now is scary stuff.

Back on topic, back in the day my aunt used Avon skin-so-soft to deter mosquitoes, didn't work much for me though.

Alan Lightstone
06-28-2023, 7:29 PM
As someone who was in Antarctica and Greenland in the mid 70's the changes there now is scary stuff.

Back on topic, back in the day my aunt used Avon skin-so-soft to deter mosquitoes, didn't work much for me though.

Consumer Reports has tested Skin So Soft on several occasions. Per their April 2023 issue:

The Skin So Soft Original Bath Oil didn’t perform well the last time we tested it several years ago.

“That result tracks with the previous time we tested the product’s insect-repellent abilities, way back in 1993.

In our most recent evaluation, the oil provided only about 2 hours of protection from deer ticks and two kinds of mosquitoes, the Aedes variety (aggressive daytime biters that can spread Zika), and Culex (nighttime biters that can carry West Nile). That would put it among the worst-performing insect repellents we tested: The products we recommend generally protect for upward of 5 or 6 hours.”

“While we know that many consumers have turned to Skin So Soft Bath Oil, the product is actually not intended to repel mosquitoes or sold for that purpose, and is not approved by the [Environmental Protection Agency] as a repellent,” Avon told Consumer Reports in 2016.

Stan Calow
06-29-2023, 8:18 AM
Since the word of mouth advertising was working so well, they developed a couple of other products using actual repellent chemicals, and used the SSS name on them. Good marketing.

Mike Soaper
06-29-2023, 9:54 PM
I have a vague distant memory of talk about a change in SSS's ingredients, A quick search indicated that around the 1990's citronella was removed as a ingredient and was replaced with Jojbo oil.

There's an article in the 2006 British Columbia Medial Journal which indicates that SSS is 85% effective as DEET. The study was small and only tested for 90-120 min periods. It also says that SSS could be used to prevent nuisance bites, "products less effective than DEET should be avoided in areas where mosquito-transmitted disease results in significant morbidity or mortality".

Mosquito repellent effectiveness: A placebo controlled trial comparing 95% DEET, Avon Skin So Soft, and a “special mixture” | British Columbia Medical Journal (bcmj.org) (https://bcmj.org/articles/mosquito-repellent-effectiveness-placebo-controlled-trial-comparing-95-deet-avon-skin-so)

Alan Lightstone
06-30-2023, 8:02 AM
I have a vague distant memory of talk about a change in SSS's ingredients, A quick search indicated that around the 1990's citronella was removed as a ingredient and was replaced with Jojbo oil.

There's an article in the 2006 British Columbia Medial Journal which indicates that SSS is 85% effective as DEET. The study was small and only tested for 90-120 min periods. It also says that SSS could be used to prevent nuisance bites, "products less effective than DEET should be avoided in areas where mosquito-transmitted disease results in significant morbidity or mortality".

Mosquito repellent effectiveness: A placebo controlled trial comparing 95% DEET, Avon Skin So Soft, and a “special mixture” | British Columbia Medical Journal (bcmj.org) (https://bcmj.org/articles/mosquito-repellent-effectiveness-placebo-controlled-trial-comparing-95-deet-avon-skin-so)

Part of the problem with the British Columbia Medical Journal study is that they only tested for 2 hours. The Consumer Reports study showed that after 2 hours, the SSS didn't work any more. Most of the other repellants lasted for 6 hours.

Clearly all old news now, as they have reformulated their product and added Picaridin which is very effective. Still not remotely the best insect repellant on the market, but at least better than it used to be.

Personally we use Ben's wipes. DEET based. Highly effective. And in bad areas, we spray permethrin on clothes (what the armed forces use). Seems to be extremely effective for us, and is supposed to work for 6 weeks, even with repeated clothing washing.

Tom M King
06-30-2023, 11:50 AM
The little gizmo works. I had a chigger bite right in the middle of my back under my beltline early this morning. I had Pam apply the heat thing to it on the highest setting. It felt like it burned a little bit while it was on, but as soon as she took it off there was no more burning, and discomfort from the bug has been gone all morning.

Jim Koepke
06-30-2023, 1:58 PM
And in bad areas, we spray permethrin on clothes (what the armed forces use). Seems to be extremely effective for us, and is supposed to work for 6 weeks, even with repeated clothing washing.

Permethrin is highly toxic to both freshwater and estuarine aquatic organisms. Most agricultural, public health, and down-the-drain scenarios modeled resulted in exceedances in the acute risk quotient (RQ) for freshwater and estuarine fish, invertebrates, and sediment organisms.

From > https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/reregistration/fs_PC-109701_1-Jun-06.pdf

Cats are also susceptible to poisoning by permethrin.

Permethrin is a synthetic compound similar to the natural compound pyrethrin > https://www.gardenia.net/plant/tanacetum-cinerariifolium

So you can actually grow your own pesticide. Just do not grow it near plants you want bees to pollinate. Many pollinator insects stay away from various varieties of tanacetum plants. Feverfew is in the same plant family.

The main difference between Pyrethrin and Permethrin is that Pyrethrin is a natural pesticide with low toxicity to mammals, whereas Permethrin is synthetic. Both Pyrethrins and Permethrins are insecticides, but their effects on mammals vary.

One of the disadvantages of either is that they will also kill beneficial insects. Though most beneficial insects won't try to bite or sting if you aren't bothering them.

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
06-30-2023, 8:41 PM
Mosquitoes like type O+ blood better than any other. This week at beach, wife and friend (both O+) were sitting on deck with myself and another friend. Wife and friend had to go in as mosquitoes were biting them, while leaving other friend and myself alone. Almost immediately, mosquitoes zeroed on us, as their favorite food source had disappeared. Prior to their retreat, neither of us had been bothered.

Patty Hann
06-30-2023, 11:34 PM
Mosquitoes like type O+ blood better than any other. This week at beach, wife and friend (both O+) were sitting on deck with myself and another friend. Wife and friend had to go in as mosquitoes were biting them, while leaving other friend and myself alone. Almost immediately, mosquitoes zeroed on us, as their favorite food source had disappeared. Prior to their retreat, neither of us had been bothered.

What blood type are you? (If I may ask....but you need not answer)
I read that A+ is a "low mosquito bother" blood type.
I am A+

Mel Fulks
07-01-2023, 1:28 AM
I think I’m O. Used to often be the only one in a gathering being bitten by mosquitoes.
OFF works well . But I really like using the pennyroyal…..tested and used for centuries.

Bruce Wrenn
07-03-2023, 12:46 PM
What blood type are you? (If I may ask....but you need not answer)
I read that A+ is a "low mosquito bother" blood type.
I am A+ A+, wife is O+, so when we are outside together, misquitos leave me alone

Stan Calow
07-03-2023, 1:15 PM
Pyrethrin was derived from plants, but most of it used commercially is synthesized.

I wonder how the mosquitoes know you're + or - before they bite? I can just about buy that people with different blood types might smell different, but with all the other smells we carry, I dont know. Maybe the O+ just reacts more?

Patty Hann
07-03-2023, 3:30 PM
Pyrethrin was derived from plants, but most of it used commercially is synthesized.

I wonder how the mosquitoes know you're + or - before they bite? I can just about buy that people with different blood types might smell different, but with all the other smells we carry, I dont know. Maybe the O+ just reacts more?

Bugs been around a looooooong time. They evolved all that time by learning (so to speak) what works and what doesn't in the way of survival.
However they do it, they've figured out how to spot the O+ folks and zero in to get them.
Maybe any blood type will do when they can't get O+, but if any are out there, well, I don't envy them.

Kent A Bathurst
07-03-2023, 5:50 PM
I am A+

I'm AB-. They ignore me. Maybe because there are so few of us, they never developed a taste for it.

Patty Hann
07-03-2023, 6:57 PM
Blood types prevalence

O positive: 35%
O negative: 13%
A positive: 30%
A negative: 8%
B positive: 8%
B negative: 2%
AB positive: 2%
AB negative: 1%

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-03-2023, 8:54 PM
I read about O blood several years ago and thought "A-ha! That's why!" ..... I'm O+ and could walk fully clothed in white, in a nudist colony, and mosquitos would still find a way to bite me, while my LOML could be nekked right beside me and not receive a single bite. I asked my LOML "What is your blood type?" O+

There goes that theory. I have also tried using the same soap and shampoo as my LOML. I still get bit.

There was an interesting article in the NYT recently about a study in Zambia on mosquitos, carboxylic acids and eucalyptol. If you belong to your local library, you can view it, or clear your browser cache and cookies and you should be able to have 1 free view. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/25/science/malaria-mosquitoes-zambia.html

ChrisA Edwards
07-03-2023, 9:59 PM
I'm AB- as well, they still go for me, but not so much when the wife is around, she's O-.

I just don't tend to have anywhere as much of a reaction when bitten.

Jim Koepke
07-03-2023, 10:38 PM
I wonder how the mosquitoes know you're + or - before they bite?

Mosquitos can sense many things differently than do humans. Mosquitoes can sense carbon dioxide.

mosquitoes realize that where there is carbon dioxide, there is an animal host. This is important for female mosquitoes particularly, as they are the only ones that need blood. Females need the lipids in the blood for egg production and so, they search out carbon dioxide knowing a host will be nearby.

> https://pointe-pest.com/mosquito-faqs/why-are-mosquitoes-attracted-to-carbon-dioxide/

They can likely pick up other indicators in their victim's breath, like bananas or garlic.

jtk

Bruce Page
07-03-2023, 11:20 PM
Just passing this along.

My wife has one and says it works well. Like Patty, insects don't like me, never have. I'm not complaining.

Bruce Page
07-03-2023, 11:25 PM

jtk

Congrats! LOML & I will have 10 years on the 15th.

Jim Koepke
07-04-2023, 12:53 AM
Congrats! LOML & I will have 10 years on the 15th.

Thanks, and congrats to the two of you.

It is possibly the hardest habit to kick.

jtk

Patty Hann
07-04-2023, 2:08 AM
Thanks, and congrats to the two of you.

It is possibly the hardest habit to kick.

jtk

Giving up Oreos is the second hardest :rolleyes:

Jim Koepke
07-04-2023, 1:40 PM
Interesting article in the NY Times > https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/03/well/mosquito-bites-humans-repellent.html

Much of the information covers what has been posted in this thread.

They do suggest a Thermacell Mosquito repellant (https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-Rechargeable-Protection-DEET-Free-Alternative/dp/B09LXCSSVR/ref=pd_bxgy_sccl_1/136-6162658-2117847?pd_rd_w=0lN9f&content-id=amzn1.sym.26a5c67f-1a30-486b-bb90-b523ad38d5a0&pf_rd_p=26a5c67f-1a30-486b-bb90-b523ad38d5a0&pf_rd_r=M3QY7PAJJ25X1QJGF69B&pd_rd_wg=8gsRG&pd_rd_r=c4e94f23-93c9-445a-8f85-2f979ca8872d&pd_rd_i=B09LXCSSVR&psc=1). It won't work in a windy area.

Other bits from the article:

Chief among the first group of factors is how you smell. Dozens of diverse molecules distributed throughout your body come together to create your unique odor.

Certain clothing colors like black and dark blue can act like a mosquito magnet, he added. Research also suggests that mosquitoes are drawn to bright oranges and reds.

Also recommended was aiming a fan under tables where people will be sitting. It keeps mosquitoes away from feet and legs.

A link to recommended repellants > https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-bug-repellent/

jtk

Patty Hann
07-04-2023, 2:06 PM
Interesting article in the NY Times > https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/03/well/mosquito-bites-humans-repellent.html

... Also recommended was aiming a fan under tables where people will be sitting. It keeps mosquitoes away from feet and legs.

A link to recommended repellants > https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-bug-repellent/

jtk

I sit out early in the morning in September to watch the "winter stars" come up.
This is strictly visual. It is from my front porch which has an almost unobstructed east-facing view.
(Bonus: National Forest begins about 25 miles east of me; that is good because the skies are fairly dark in that direction.)
Anyway, the mosquitoes are out in force because it is still monsoon ("rainy season", such as it is in the low deserts).
So I place one of those little Vornado fans near me to blow the "skeeters" away; it works well if the setting is on Med or High.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2023, 4:12 PM
We are down to just having 3 great-grandkids and 3 grandkids under the age of 15 staying with us for a couple weeks. After reading this thread, I ordered one of the devices from Amazon. Yesterday my wife took the group to Wallowa Lake State Park in northeastern Oregon for a tram ride up, lunch and hike on Mt. Howard. Two of the kids got a total of 3 mosquito bites. Though the application and use of the device was a couple hours after the bites were occurred, the itching stopped immediately and haven't returned.

I was skeptical. I hope to further test the device.

Brian Deakin
07-08-2023, 5:27 AM
Member may find the link below useful

https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/insect-bites-stings/management/management-in-primary-care/

if you open the blue text this provides additional information