PDA

View Full Version : Trax Panel Saw

Dave Rawn
01-31-2006, 1:09 PM
I'm thinking about buying a panel saw to cut 5'x5' 1/8 inch baltic birch panel down to 15"x30" pieces. Right now I cut up 130 sheets at a time on a table saw it is really time consuming cutting one sheet at a time. The panel saw I'm looking at is a Trax pane saw. Any suggestions or recommendations would help

Charles McKinley
02-01-2006, 4:03 PM
Hi Dave,

How accurate is the pannel saw? I built my panel saw from a kit and I can't quite get it perfectly square. Have you considered a festool saw and building a jig?

Paul B. Cresti
02-01-2006, 4:20 PM
Dave,
As far as I know if you are doing a lot of sheetgoods your only real options are either a European Format Slider, a vertical panel saw or a CNC machine. If you want to do mutlitple sheets at once you will most definately need a big robust slider, which do exist, but they just are not your average saw. I can think of a few ;) I am not sure if a vertical panel saw does multiple other than maybe one of those big Holzmas (SP?) but then those can more $$ than the sliders. We all know how much CNC'c can be. I think the real decision for you is how important is it to you to cut multiple sheets, how much money are willling to spend and what kind of accuracy are you looking for. If you want to stay real cost affective than on of the guided saw systems would work but if you want continual quick accurate repeatability all day long every day a Euro slider may be ther next cheapest alternative.

Frank Pellow
02-01-2006, 4:21 PM
... Have you considered a festool saw and building a jig?
That would certainly be my recommendation. Others might suggest the EZ guided circular saw system. Either would be better than a panel saw.

Dan Racette
02-01-2006, 4:33 PM
have you considered having a shop that already owns some panel processing equipment to sub-contract for you? Then you could try all three methods and see which one gets you the best results and then decide if you don't want to sub out those services any more?

Just a thought.

based on your amount, I would have to agree with paul. Holz-her "grade" panel processing equipment, a euro slider, or a cnc system is the efficient and cost effective way to reduce your labour and increase your capacity of cuts. but that all depends on how expensive you labour value is. If you are me, and you are the only "labour" in your shop, well you are either killing yourself in time that you can't afford to pay others for, or you think your time is almost "invaluable" and anything is cost justifiable. I am in the former!

Frank Pellow
02-01-2006, 5:12 PM
Dave,
As far as I know if you are doing a lot of sheetgoods your only real options are either a European Format Slider, a vertical panel saw or a CNC machine. If you want to do mutlitple sheets at once you will most definately need a big robust slider, ...
Paul I have disagrred with you about this before and I will disagree again.

A guided circualr saw with good support and alignment of the sheets, can also be used here. I have cut 3 (clamped together) sheets of 12 mm baltic birch ply with my Festool guided circular saw.

Doug Jones from Oregon
02-01-2006, 5:36 PM
I go through a unit of 5.2mm mdf every month and have the board supplier cut the 16 different sizes I need. They cut them on a big CNC panel saw, probably 5-6 sheets at a time. Right on square all the time.Works out to pennies a piece. I cannot justify the investment in the equipment or the real estate it would take for the cost. Sometimes it just pays to sub it out. You might look around your area to the shops supplying the cabinet industry materials.

Doug

Keith Outten
02-01-2006, 5:40 PM
Dave,

I bought an SSC panel saw a few years ago to cut 3/4" sheets for a very large cabinet job that took us 4 years to complete. I purchased the saw from Woodworkers Supply and I think it was about $1,200.00. The SSC will cut up to 3 sheets at a time but 2 might be more comfortable for the motor. When we were working the cabinet job we cut about 96 sheets in a day without a strain and only one sheet at a time. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the SSC saw adjusted any closer than 1/32" error over eight feet.

We used to stack a pile of 3/4" ply right in front of the saw and it would disapear real quick :) I know the panel saw paid for itself over using my table saw in no time and I have a 62" slider on my TS.

Hope this helps.

Keith

tod evans
02-01-2006, 6:29 PM
dave, like anything you get what you pay for...... and the saw you ask about really isn`t in the upper group... would cutting baltic be the sole use for this tool? or do you have other projects you do? if you`re only doing a unit every other month it would probably be cost effective to sub it out to a local shop with a slider....02 tod

Paul B. Cresti
02-01-2006, 7:35 PM
Frank Frank Frank,
Why do you want to go ahead and say something like that? I am sitting here, after diner and giving my kids a bath, all nicey nice sippin my espresso and eatin my biscotti and then I see this ;):D

Paul I have disagrred with you about this before and I will disagree again.

A guided circualr saw with good support and alignment of the sheets, can also be used here. I have cut 3 (clamped together) sheets of 12 mm baltic birch ply with my Festool guided circular saw.

I think problem here is that he has stated he needs to go through 130 sheets a day? I am sure he could do it with a guided saw but not that many sheets in a day and sized to parts, accurately and quickly. All tools have there time and place for use. Remember I own a guided saw and a slider and each has its place. I would assume Dave is a small business owner and his time is money to him but spending lots of money on equipment is also just as tough. As business owners we all have to make that "jump" eventually when we decide to upgrade or not. Many variables come into play: will it pay for itself, do I get it before I need it to be ready or do I get it when I can no longer live without it. It is a gamble no matter what and you can only hope for the best. If you are a shop owner and you are plowing through sheetgoods the only viable decision is to eventually equip yourself with the proper machinery to meet your clients needs both quality wise and time wise. The only machines that meet those needs in a shop environment are the ones I have mentioned before. Once you have used one of these other options you will understand what I mean. We all need to make our own decisions based upon our needs. Instead of us "discussing our differences" lets give Dave the options I think he was asking for?

Keith Outten
02-01-2006, 7:58 PM
Paul,

Geez dude listen to yourself...surely someone else here at the Creek has an acceptable answer other than you alone. Give the rest of us some credit :)

The only machines that meet those needs in a shop environment are the ones I have mentioned before. Once you have used one of these other options you will understand what I mean. We all need to make our own decisions based upon our needs. Instead of us "discussing our differences" lets give Dave the options I think he was asking for?

Note the words "I have mentioned" and "the options I think".

There are a number of ways to accomplish any task that would be considered acceptable. There is also a huge list of equipment that is also acceptable. One thing you did get right is that Dave needs to make his own decision based on his needs...and his budget I expect. You didn't mention his budget, possibly you don't have to consider the financial factor in your shop.

Paul B. Cresti
02-01-2006, 8:50 PM
Keith,
With all do respect If you were standing in front of me you would find out I am a very quiet person but I do enjoy to joke around, so stop taking my posts so seriously :)

Someone asked for opinions and "I" gave him mine. No one has to agree with it, that is why it is called "my" opinion. Is not this forum about people exchanging ideas and opinions? I entered into the world of Euro machines because of someone elses opinion. Did I have to listen to him? No I did not have to, it was my choice to. Dave asked for a opinion on a machine and I gave him some other options he could look at, more choices that is it. He has to ultimately decide what he wants and needs. So much for trying to tell people about what I have learned through some of my experiences with different types of machines. I have been blessed enough to have an understanding wife and best friend whom has allowed me to invest into a business and a dream of mine of being both an Architect & Woodworker.
If I have offended people by giving "my opinions" just say so and I will fade away.

Rick Shelton
02-01-2006, 9:24 PM
No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the SSC saw adjusted any closer than 1/32" error over eight feet.

Plenty accurate enough for cabinet work. I don't see how you could do much better. Not for that price anyhow.

Burt Waddell
02-01-2006, 9:38 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>This would be a perfect solution. For less than $200 (less than 10% of the shipping cost of other models) and guaranteed to outperform all older methods and tools.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- image --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="1%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=black><TD colSpan=3 height=1>http://eurekazone.com/gallery/images/pixel_trans.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=black>http://eurekazone.com/gallery/images/pixel_trans.gif</TD><TD align=middle>http://eurekazone.com/albums/ez/sliding_repeaters_002.sized.jpg (http://eurekazone.com/gallery/ez/sliding_repeaters_002?full=1)</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=black>http://eurekazone.com/gallery/images/pixel_trans.gif</TD></TR><TR bgColor=black><TD colSpan=3 height=1>http://eurekazone.com/gallery/images/pixel_trans.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- caption -->
Repeatability without a fence.

<!-- Comments -->

Dev Emch
02-01-2006, 9:39 PM
This sounds like a lot of work. But one saw does come to mind as the ultimate solution to this exact type of work.

The Striebig Vertical Panel Saw.

New ones can be costly. I would contact Colonial saw and begin sniffing about for a used one. A guy I know in HI found one on ebay in CA. Very nice saw and he paid about $5000 plus shipping.

This saw can precision cut stacks like crazy. It can have as much as a 7.5 HP motor with retractable riving knives and adjustable scoring blades.

The new ones can even S4S entire plywood panels.

Striebig.... The name worth remembering!

Burt Waddell
02-01-2006, 9:55 PM
With the EZ Smart repeater this can be "0" in eight feet and you can't beat the cost.

Dev Emch
02-01-2006, 9:58 PM
Paul,

Geez dude listen to yourself...surely someone else here at the Creek has an acceptable answer other than you alone. Give the rest of us some credit :)

The only machines that meet those needs in a shop environment are the ones I have mentioned before. Once you have used one of these other options you will understand what I mean. We all need to make our own decisions based upon our needs. Instead of us "discussing our differences" lets give Dave the options I think he was asking for?

Note the words "I have mentioned" and "the options I think".

There are a number of ways to accomplish any task that would be considered acceptable. There is also a huge list of equipment that is also acceptable. One thing you did get right is that Dave needs to make his own decision based on his needs...and his budget I expect. You didn't mention his budget, possibly you don't have to consider the financial factor in your shop.

The problem is volume, accuracy, speed and quality. First of all, any solution must be blowout free. Under Dave's name is something about a business doing laser engraving. If he is laser engraving baltic birch, I doubt customers want a fuzzy, blown out edge.

How much accuracy is needed? I dont know and it was not speced out. But I would assume that it needs to be fairly accurate. After all, Dave is putting his name on the product.

The killer is volume. Each time Dave goes through this exercise, he is reducing 130 sheets of baltic birch into what i assume are product blanks. I dont know about you guys but I cringe just thinking about this job should I have to use a guided saw or even a table saw. Holly Cow! Talk about bordom! I would look forward to sweeping the floor just for a change of pace.

I find precision cutting sheet goods to be the least enjoyable aspect of woodworking. If it were up to me, I would be hunting down a Striebig if for the only reason that of saving my sanity. Now Paul's slider will also do a good job on this albeit a tad more time consuming. But folks, do you really advocate sending poor Dave into the shop with 130 sheets of baltic birch and guided saw system? The guys going to go postal at about sheet number 110!

Frank Pellow
02-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Frank Frank Frank,
Why do you want to go ahead and say something like that? I am sitting here, after diner and giving my kids a bath, all nicey nice sippin my espresso and eatin my biscotti and then I see this ;):D

I think problem here is that he has stated he needs to go through 130 sheets a day? ?
Paul, I read 130 sheets at a time, not 130 sheet per day. If it really is 130 sheets each day, then I agree that using a guided circular saw sytem to do the cutting could eat up a big chunk of each day. If it is less frequent (say every two weeks) then a GCSS might be OK.

Burt Waddell
02-01-2006, 10:54 PM
The problem is volume and the answer is EZ as in EZ smart Sliding square with a repeater attached. You can have them cut before you can load them using traditional methods. Make a squaring jig and cut multiple boards at a time. Dev, you should out an EZ Smart some time. You'll be as surprised as I was!!

Dev Emch
02-02-2006, 12:24 AM
The problem is volume and the answer is EZ as in EZ smart Sliding square with a repeater attached. You can have them cut before you can load them using traditional methods. Make a squaring jig and cut multiple boards at a time. Dev, you should out an EZ Smart some time. You'll be as surprised as I was!!

Got one with 7.5 rip snortin' ponies?

Keith Outten
02-02-2006, 1:09 AM
If I had to cut 130 sheets per day I would opt for a CNC machine, the cost would be insignificant given the workload. If the production rate is 130 sheets per week or month then there are lots of alternatives and a less costly machine could be considered, even the EZ guide system would be feasible and the price is hard to beat. I remember that eight hours straight on my panel saw would leave me bone tired, handling a hundred full 3/4" sheets all day but it was a lot faster and less work than wrestling sheets on a table saw.

If you ganged at least 4 sheets of 1/8" ply at a time it would cut the job down considerably no matter which saw you selected.

Doug Jones from Oregon
02-02-2006, 12:24 PM
If you do this frequently, like a few times a month, and you're serious about purchasing equipment...I'd go with a multi rip panel saw. We had one in a past shop and one could put a huge amount of material through it very quickly.

When we sold it I think we got about $5k for it which to me was a great deal for someone.

Doug

Mark Rios
02-02-2006, 4:24 PM
Got one with 7.5 rip snortin' ponies?

ROFL:D :D :D

Dev, Would I need a 8/4 or a 6/4 extension cord on that thing? Also, do you think that Festool makes a cart to carry, oh...say... 50' of extension cord? Maybe with an automatic cord feeder/retractor?