PDA

View Full Version : Good classic car forums, youtube channels, etc...

andrew whicker
06-23-2023, 12:19 PM
Hi,

I may be finding myself into a 1964 F-250 pretty soon. I'm assuming there's a lot of overlap between woodworkers and car people. Was curious what sources of information you use and recommend?

My first goal would be the boring, but necessary: brakes (upgrade to disc), suspension (new springs and dampeners) and add power steering. Daily driver goals. I see kits for the brakes and suspension, but they seem way over priced and marketed towards hot rodders (and 95% want to drop 2 inches off the stock height). I'm looking more to solve the issue with off the shelf parts and knowledge like "you can use the spindle off a _____ to get you where you need to be" etc.

Not trying to re-invent the wheel.

Warren Lake
06-23-2023, 12:34 PM
cant tell you for ford only have GM stuff but the 67 - 72 Chev GMC forum is outstanding. Ton of fanatics and great info and help.

Enjoy the truck I have 20 years on this one and its been excellent. Neighbour paid likely over 100k for some new super fancy thing that would not start and needed 14k of work covered under warranty and think still issues. Old stuff as simple as a lawn mower. Her husband has asked to buy my truck several times. On lowering hes old school and doesnt like it an past had one other mechanic say same. I've seen tons and they look good and also happy with stock height. ill look at tw0 levels of drop leaves if I find you can do that then raise it up and have choices I still want tilt in there like the old school hot rod guys.

Rick Potter
06-24-2023, 3:23 AM
You might try Ford Barn. It is older Fords only, and has a site for post '53 cars (when they went to OHV) that can assist with engine questions etc. but it might also give you leads on truck sites.

Lots of very smart folks there.

There is also a youtube channel about a guy that put an electric motor in an old 250. Can't remember the name but interesting videos. He shows actually using it to tow, climb, haul etc.

Rick Potter
06-28-2023, 12:20 PM
Darn, I was hoping this thread might have more legs.

Warren Lake
06-28-2023, 1:30 PM
usually there are a number of forums on any car maybe five on wally wagons even the saturn has several can look on you tube as well but forums are smart. on the 92 my cruise did not work, mechanic said leave its a grand to fix it. Forum member said go to the rear window lift it and there are two contacts clean with 600 paper and try that. I did and the cruise worked perfectly. Specialized knowledge of one car that one mechanic didnt know and he was in the trade 40 years.

Bill George
07-04-2023, 9:44 AM
For you car folks there is a cable show series called "Chasing Classic Cars" I can no longer get the show, but they explore finding and restoring older cars.

Doug Garson
07-04-2023, 11:55 AM
Check out Daze Cars, I'm not into classic cars but used his videos when converting my drill press to a treadmill motor, his main interest is classic cars particulaly Fords. I think he sells parts as well as good instructional videos.

Rick Potter
07-04-2023, 2:12 PM
'Hoovies Garage' on You tube is just plain crazy, and habit forming. He makes his living off You tube videos by buying, repairing, and selling weird or exotic cars. The one where he buries a K car then digs it up a year later is classic goofball.