PDA

View Full Version : Farmhouse Exterior Paint Colors?

Carroll Courtney
06-22-2023, 11:11 AM
Guys I’m no where’s near painting stage of my shop/1000 sq ft living space. But I like start making plans by figuring color choices. But first, the shop/ home is one bldg which is 32’x70’ The shop will have 12’ ceiling height and living space will be 10’ ceiling height.Both roof pitch is same 5/12. The shop will have 36” 26 ga metal wainscoting then lap siding from there up. Now where the shop stops and living space starts be Board/ Batten smart siding. The metal roof be Frosted White 26 ga. I believe that most farmhouses in past were white so I’m open minded looking for paint color suggestions. I’m not against kinda bending the farmhouse color rules. Members up north in New England states has to be capital of Old Farmhouses, either original colors or new modern day color choices. Any pics would be awesome, links to websites etc also be appreciated

Tom M King
06-22-2023, 11:36 AM
If you have a Wife, no one here can be any help.

I painted a small building here SW Paper White and it came out a little darker than we would have preferred. We were trying to get away from such a bright white, like it was, but would have been better served to go one shade lighter on the SW color chart.

I've had nothing but great results from whatever the current top of the line SW exterior paint is. Not too long ago, they came out with an Emerald Rain Refresh. It's supposed to be self-cleaning from rain. I've used some last Spring, but it hasn't been on long enough to tell if the RR is much better than Emerald. The Rain Refresh does seem a little more runny than regular Emerald, but it's not bad.

My truck is still not back on the road, but I have it mostly done. Chisels will go out shortly.

Jim Becker
06-22-2023, 12:41 PM
You didn't seem to mention the color of the metal wainscot on the shop portion, or is that color in flux?

One thing about colors...don't get too complicated and consider the setting as part of the color equation, too. Do you want the structure to blend into the landscape or stand out from the landscape? Are there other structures nearby that might contrast/conflict/blend-well with the choices you are considering? Do you prefer a strong contrast between the sidewalls and the trim or something closer and more subtle? I'm in the latter camp, for example, and relative to my earlier question, I like to blend with the landscape. But that's me.

Carroll Courtney
06-22-2023, 3:32 PM
Thanks Tom and Jim for responding. No worries on chisels Tom, right now looks like fall before I will get started on windows since working on framing part. Going get my TS up there and build frames and fit sashes. Jim, wife and I like for it to blend in not draw to much attention say from tax assessor😩 Nothing fancy just something that looks decent but not plain or boring. This really is hard question for anyone to answer, there’s just too many variables to deal with. But I have setup account at local SW’s paint store

Tom M King
06-22-2023, 5:39 PM
Did you get one of the color sample books from SW? If not, they'll give you one if you ask for it. Pam and I have gotten much use out of them. We have found the lighter colors to be harder to visualize on a large surface like a building, but have had good luck with darker colors.

I would maybe buy one of the small sample containers of your choice, and try it in place on a good size place on the building.

We hit the right color the first time with Salute on the mechanic shop.

Jim Becker
06-22-2023, 8:47 PM
I'm with Tom...get all the color sample/example books from SW. They often have combinations that provide the primary hue with multiple "trim" colors from subtle to bold for contrast. Color combination "families", if you will.

Tax collector's going to get you regardless 'cause they factor in cost of the improvements when they reassess. I just got the verdict for adding my shop building to our property. It kicked the assessment up 5 grand and the resultant tax increase is a cumulative of about $400 annually. They never physically looked at it...the data all comes off the permit and zoning applications, at least in this jurisdiction.

Carroll Courtney
06-26-2023, 1:27 PM
Thanks guys, that sounds like good plan help wife and I make decision