PDA

View Full Version : SCM Minimax FS41C won't turn on

Russ Matoy
06-20-2023, 10:15 PM
Hey guys, just looking for some ideas on what the issue might be. Typically when I plug the machine in I hear a click (guessing a magnetic switch engaging). I am not hearing that currently and the machine won't turn on.

Verified the line is under power (table saw will work).
E-stop is not engaged.
I opened it up and found nothing out of the ordinary and everything moves freely.
Ran the bed down in case there is a limit switch.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Robert LaPlaca
06-21-2023, 8:44 AM
Russ,

I know you said you checked the e-stop, but it sounds like a safety stop is still engaged..I have an older vintage FS41E, on my machine there is a e-stop on both the front and the rear of the machine… Also need the machine fully setup in either jointer mode or planer mode, if in planer mode the chip chute needs to be fully in place over the cutterhead..

John TenEyck
06-21-2023, 9:32 AM
My older FS-35 has an overload relay/power switch. It clicks when I plug in the machine. I'm guessing yours has the same feature. With mine, that unit has both the overload relay and power switch in the same unit, and is the switch used to turn on the machine. If the overload trips, I have to push in another button to reset it. Hope that helps.

John

Russ Matoy
06-21-2023, 7:45 PM
I moved everything from planer mode to jointer and back and was able to start it. I'm guessing one of the safety switches got hung up. A bit strange since I hadn't moved anything since I had shut it off the night before, but least nothing was broken.

John TenEyck
06-22-2023, 9:42 AM
Good news, as long as doesn't repeat itself.

John

Bill Dufour
06-22-2023, 1:45 PM
Most likely is sawdust inside or on the NC stop switches so they jam and do not make contact.
While it is working open up the contactor box and push in, using a piece of clean dry wood, the contactor armature so it closes and see if it will run. Good infoprmation to know for next time. Many are wired so it will run even if the stop switches are open. It will just not latch closed and keep running if the stop switches are bad. Some may not.
Bill D