PDA

View Full Version : Saw and plane till is finished

Malcolm Schweizer
06-20-2023, 12:05 PM
Good day all:

I have wanted to build one of these for a very long time. I finally just did it. Video gives more details. I made the slope at 22.5 degrees, which gives me 26” height on the face (sloped part) with 10” depth, which minus the 3/4” ply back equals exactly the depth of my hollows and rounds.

The shelves for the block planes are dominoed, screwed, and glued. They are solid!
https://youtu.be/YJ1jj1tbNxU

A few photos.

503039 503040 503041

Ron Selzer
06-20-2023, 12:08 PM
I like, I need and probably will never build
Ron

Tony Wilkins
06-20-2023, 12:20 PM
Looking good!

Cameron Wood
06-20-2023, 1:12 PM
Very nice. I enjoyed the Youtube confession as well.:)

Eric Brown
06-20-2023, 4:43 PM
Very nicely done. Enjoy it.

Dave Anderson NH
06-21-2023, 6:33 AM
Well Done Malcolm. I really think the edge treatment adds a lot.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-21-2023, 7:09 AM
Well Done Malcolm. I really think the edge treatment adds a lot.

Thank you, and thanks to all. The funny thing is that when I cut into the wood, there was a worm hole right on the edge, so I said, “well, I guess it’s going to have trim on it.” I was going to just route the edge, but I realized anyway that the trim hides the dadoes, so it worked out for the better. I had very little of that color of mahogany left, but literally JUST enough.

Rob Lee
06-21-2023, 9:54 AM
Thank you, and thanks to all. The funny thing is that when I cut into the wood, there was a worm hole right on the edge, so I said, “well, I guess it’s going to have trim on it.” I was going to just route the edge, but I realized anyway that the trim hides the dadoes, so it worked out for the better. I had very little of that color of mahogany left, but literally JUST enough.

Very nice Malcolm.

but.........where's the expansion space?

:)

Malcolm Schweizer
06-21-2023, 12:15 PM
Very nice Malcolm.

but.........where's the expansion space?

:)

I opened up a lot of drawer space!!! I did start to leave room for a No. 6, but I don’t really think I would use it.

Jim Koepke
06-21-2023, 12:40 PM
Nice storage system.

My only wish would be to find a way to use the space behind the main panel. Even if only to stow dowel stock.

jtk

Paul McGaha
06-21-2023, 1:20 PM
Awesome Malcolm. I love it.

Good job on the youtube video also.

PHM

Joe A Faulkner
06-21-2023, 10:15 PM
I like it too. you must do a better job than I do controlling dust, and where do you keep your chisels?

Malcolm Schweizer
06-21-2023, 10:46 PM
I like it too. you must do a better job than I do controlling dust, and where do you keep your chisels?

Every Friday the shop gets blown out with a leaf blower, swept, and vacuumed. Every machine has a dedicated dust collector.

Chisels stay in a drawer. I prefer it that way- easy to scan them all and pick the one or more that I need. Also, if I hung chisels and carving tools it might be longer than this till! I do need to make a tray for chisels so they don’t roll around in the drawer. That’s on the list.

Doug Weiner
06-22-2023, 11:51 PM
Lots of clever ideas. Perfect timing - I’ve got my wood all organized and now time for the tools. Thanks for posting.