PDA

View Full Version : how many coats of arm-r-seal

Brian Runau
06-20-2023, 10:35 AM
Finishing a sewing table for my wife using Arm-R-Seal. 3 coats is normal. It is just fabric and the feet on the sewing machine have rubber pads. Do I need to add extra coats for more protection?

Thanks.

Brian

Edward Weber
06-20-2023, 11:42 AM
A "normal" 3 coats should be fine, but the top edge of the table will wear more quickly with fabric being drawn over it repeatedly. I don't know what profile you put on your table but even a small 1/8" radius can help.

Brian Runau
06-20-2023, 12:01 PM
A "normal" 3 coats should be fine, but the top edge of the table will wear more quickly with fabric being drawn over it repeatedly. I don't know what profile you put on your table but even a small 1/8" radius can help.

I took a round over bit and rounded the top edge pretty good. Thanks Brian

John TenEyck
06-20-2023, 12:24 PM
However many you think are needed. No two people apply it the same, so 3 coats may be adequate for some while it might take 6 for someone else to get the same film build. For me, it's usually 3 or 4.

John

Brian Runau
06-21-2023, 8:28 AM
However many you think are needed. No two people apply it the same, so 3 coats may be adequate for some while it might take 6 for someone else to get the same film build. For me, it's usually 3 or 4.

John

thanks John. brian

Brian Tymchak
06-24-2023, 7:05 AM
Depends on the project, but if I brush it on 2-3. If I pad it on 4-5+. All the birch trim on my shop tables got 2 brushed coats, then buffed with 4o steel wool, and the edges are holding up fine after 8-10 years of use. ARS is pretty tough stuff.