PDA

View Full Version : Byrd vs Hermance vs New Machine

Mark Gibney
06-20-2023, 10:30 AM
I picked up a Jet JWP 20H planer for $900. Older machine, obviously, but in good shape. The bed is flat, 5hp 3 phase motor, straight knives.
I'm thinking of getting a helical head for it.
A Byrd head would run me $1,450 (plus tax and $100 shipping).
A Hermance head would be $3,420 plus about $150 shipping.

Here are the prices on a few new machines, all with helical heads and 5hp single phase motors.

The Laguna PX/20 20" planer with helical head (sheartec) is $5,500 before tax, from Rockler. Shipping $200.
The South Bend SB1109 20" helical head planer is $4,500
The Grizzly G1033X 20" planer is $4,000. Shipping $370.
The Laguna and S. Bend have digital readouts.

Tax will take those machines to about $6K, $5K and $4.5K, very rounded figures.
I feel that with the price of a Byrd head I have a good planer for about $2,500.
The Hermance head brings the total price to about $4,600.

I have a Byrd head on an 8" Delta jointer and a Hermance on a 16" jointer, overall I get better results from the Hermance, but I don't use it as often, the Delta gets used every day. I'm pulled towards the Hermance head, but then looking at the prices of brand new machines it seems a bit crazy to pay that money.
So, posting here to get some wisdom from the hive mind. What to do?

Thanks, Mark

Cary Falk
06-20-2023, 2:51 PM
I have a planer with a Grizzly insert head and a Jointer with a byrd head. I don't have an issue with either of the. A 20" planer with a carbide head for $2500 is pretty attractive. You didn't say what you are going to do with the 3 phase issue, VFD or new motor which will increase the cost a little bit. I think VFDs are a PITA. Even with a new motor you are still ahead money wise.

Phillip Mitchell
06-20-2023, 3:17 PM
Mark probably has 3 phase in his shop, just guessing.

I don’t love Byrd heads, but that’s probably what I’d do within those choices and $ amounts. I don’t know if the Jet deserves a Hermance head, imo. That’s kinda like putting racing slicks on a Camry.

I like Tersa / Terminus insert knives personally, though I’m sure Hermance is very nice (and helical carbide.) I have been less than impressed with a few different Byrd helical heads personally with regards to tracks/chronic alignment issues after rotating knives set from the factory, though the internet at large will sing a different song. I’m sure most of them are great; I may have just experienced a few duds.

Edit: what planer did you have in the mix prior to the Jet showing up?

Richard Coers
06-20-2023, 3:47 PM
Do you really run that much abrasive or figured wood? I'm very happy with straight knives for the past 45 years. Your post is a little confusing. You bought a planer, but you want to buy a new more expensive planer, or just spend more money for a head that costs more than the planer? I think you should sort it out to want you really want. It's not easy to give advice to that many options. Only you know how much and what kind of wood you send through a planer, and also up to you about how much money you want to spend.

Greg Quenneville
06-20-2023, 7:53 PM
There is also the Sheartak option for $1,200 plus shipping and tax:

https://www.sheartak.com/spiral-cutterhead/jet/sheartak-spiral-cutterhead-for-jet-20inch-planer-jwp20h

On edit…I have only ever used straight knives, and so far happily so. If I decide to convert my machine the Sheartak is the head I would choose.

Mark Gibney
06-21-2023, 12:48 AM
To clear up any confusion - I bought a used Jet 20" planer (1980s Taiwan), and I have the option to put a helical head in it, OR sell it on and buy a new machine. Some of the new machines look attractively priced, and I avoid a the hassle of installing the head etc.

On the other hand I like this machine, it's incredibly heavily built - the base is thick cast iron. They are fairly simple machines (the table just travels up and down) so even though it's a Jet I feel it would be worth upgrading if I keep it.

Cary, I do have 3 phase in the shop.
Phillip, I use a PM100 with a Byrd head (12").
Richard, I prefer helical over straight knives, maybe because I learned on them.

So that's about it. Keep it and gild it, or sell it on and buy a fancy new one. Just looking for feedback as I mull it over. Thanks all.

Jim Becker
06-21-2023, 11:15 AM
It sounds like a decent machine is already sitting there, so there's good reason to seriously opt for changing out the cutterhead for a heilical, whether or not it's the less or more expensive replacement head option. Of course, that assumes you're able and willing to do the work for the change. In the end that provides "business as usual" with a smoother finish and a quieter experience, but with no new capabilities or features and that's a valid scenario. While "new" is always nice to have, the question I would ask is "what 'MORE' does it bring into the shop" from what existing plus a head upgrade provides? What additional features and capabilities does "this new one" have that I can't get with just a cutterhead replacement on existing? The only reason outside of "want" that buying new that is just equivalent is not doing the labor for the replacement.

Michael Burnside
06-21-2023, 11:56 AM
Well, this seems easy to me, but maybe I'm underthinking it? If what you want most is a Hermance head, then I believe you only have one choice as all the new options don't use that head. If you just want a helical head at the lowest cost, then the old Jet + Byrd fits the bill. If you want new, choose between the 3 you listed.

Mark Gibney
06-21-2023, 11:57 PM
Jim, Michael, and everyone, thanks - all the feedback and advice was great. Got me seeing what way I want to go, which is the Hermance head. The three month lead time sucks, but sometimes you gotta wait for love.
Thank you all.

Brian Gumpper
06-22-2023, 1:24 PM
Mark,

Curious who you are talking to about the Hermance head. I've sold them over the years but Hermance sold that part of their business when Wurth bought them. Saw the new guys at IWF but they weren't ready for prime time then. The Hermance price was always close enough to Byrd but looks like the new guys, can't remember their name, jacked the prices up. I sell a lot of Byrd but always liked a second option.

Mark Gibney
06-22-2023, 11:17 PM
Brian, I would ship the old head to H3D Tool Corp, Ohio.
And yes, the prices have gone up.

Jonathan Jung
07-01-2023, 12:02 PM
Mark, you might want to think twice before the Hermance Helixhead. I waited 16 months for mine, a 16" helical for my jointer, and when it finally arrived, I was so gutted to find it is not made right. H3D now runs makes the Helixhead (bought from Hermance) and it seems they don't play the have the same quality or reputation as Hermance.

The point shop guy, Riley, is terrible at communicating, and does not stand behind the product. Mine leaves grooves because some teeth have play in their pockets. Riley tried to help initially by sending out a different make of teeth, but that didn't fix it entirely. He's now not responding to emails or following up.

The outside sales rep for the west coast was also unhelpful, and when I mentioned Riley to him, he got even less interested in helping out, so I never heard back from him. He said he knew that Riley is not an easy guy to work with.

Big bummer because I want an option for custom heads in the future.

Mark Gibney
07-02-2023, 1:16 AM
Sorry to hear that Jonathan, it sounds like you have an uphill battle to get this sorted to your satisfaction.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely take this into account.