PDA

View Full Version : Rip Fence Suggestion Anyone?

Ron Franssen
01-31-2006, 11:40 AM
I currently have a delta contractor saw with a biesemeyer home shop fence. It is capable of ripping about 28 inches to the right. I want to be able to rip a minimum of 36 inches and prefereably around 48".

So I'm looking at upgrading the rails for the biesemeyer (around 200 bucks).

However, for a few dollars more you can get a whole new fence, like the vega. So has anyone actually used the vega and the biesemeyer and how do they stack up against each other.

remember, i have the home/shop version of the biesemeyer. I'm looking to purchase the pro model of the vega if I do go ahead.

thanks for any help

scott spencer
01-31-2006, 2:08 PM
Hi Ron - I've owned two Biese's and had a Vega in my shop for about 6 weeks last winter/spring, and have used a friend's before. The Vega is a very nice fence, but I wouldn't want to give up my Biese for it. (the micro adjust is nice on the Vega...)

Have you considered sliding your rails to the right? Also, you might find a metal shop that will sell you the dimensional steel tubing and you can paint it yourself. Or, Amazon has the Biese 40" on sale for $260 delivered right now after automatic discounts at checkout.

Good luck!

Danny Buie
01-31-2006, 9:15 PM
Ron,
I have used a Biesmeyer for about 15 years, both the Home Shop and the Pro versions. If you are up to a little work you could buy the steel and extend your Biesmeyer. I looked at doing this very thing but I have puchased a second fence.

MetalDepot.com will sell and ship small quantites of steel. An 8' piece of 1.5" X 2.5" rectangular tube is less than $25.00. The angle is priced similar. You may be able to save on the angle by purchasing it at the local borg. Drill holes, paint and a adhesive backed tape will finish the job.

If you are not in a hurry watch the Biesmeyer website for their closeouts. This saved me a chunk. The problem is waiting for the item you need to appear.

If you are really set on the Vega put the old on on the bay. They seem to go close to retail.
Good Luck
Danny Buie
Baton Rouge, La.