PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Bench dog no 1

Jason Buresh
06-19-2023, 9:34 AM
I was surfing the web this morning and it popped up that Rockler now has a new product based on the Stanley No 1. It looks like it's manufactured in India. May be similar in quality to the wood river?

Anyway, seems like an affordable way to get this size plane if you were curious about one.

Frederick Skelly
06-19-2023, 10:11 AM
I bought the Wood River version when it first came out, just to have one. It’s about the size of a small block plane. I use it on small boxes and such. But it’s not a “required” tool - more like a curiosity that I find uses for. No regrets though. I don’t know how the quality compares to the WR version, but I imagine the Rockler version will be similar in functionality. (Full disclosure: I’m a sucker for trying out small planes - I even have/use a Veritas toy plane on certain tasks.)

Jason Buresh
06-19-2023, 10:30 AM
I bought the Wood River version when it first came out, just to have one. It’s about the size of a small block plane. I use it on small boxes and such. But it’s not a “required” tool - more like a curiosity that I find uses for. No regrets though. I don’t know how the quality compares to the WR version, but I imagine the Rockler version will be similar in functionality. (Full disclosure: I’m a sucker for trying out small planes - I even have/use a Veritas toy plane on certain tasks.)

I have the veritas mini router plane and it is fun!

Jim Koepke
06-20-2023, 12:07 AM
I have the veritas mini router plane and it is fun!

I have one and have used it on a few projects.

I added a spring to the adjuster mechanism to make setting the cutter a little easier.

jtk