PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone DC, Horizontal filter ???

Guy Boulianne
01-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi everyone.

Has anyone ever installed the cartridge filter horizontally ??? It would use overhead space close to the corner instead of tool's outfeed space or hanging in the "circulation" area. My DC is a Gorilla, Up but not running yet.

I know it would make cleaning a different approach but from thewoodworking I am doing and what i Have read here and there, I dont believe I will have to clean the filter more than once or twice a year. I would have to remove the filter and go outside to clean it. What I am wondering about is will it clog the bottom section pleats in a way that will restrict the airflow in a noticeable manner ??? Would just loosening the bottom knob (that would be the "end" knob in my setting) and giving a quarter of a turn to the cartridge once in a while have a good effect on that ??? Or would I just have to take the filter outside for cleaning more often (twice more ofter that in the conventionnal vertical setup).

I think I will ask the same question to Oneida once the machine will be runjing (The filter is mouinted vertically for now but it will be an easy task to change that).

Thanks for your comments.

GUy

Alan Schaffter
01-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Did that in my old shop. I put the Farr cartridge (3 hp DC with Wood cyclone) up between the joists. I had no problems. Rotating it every couple of weeks/months, depending on you shop usage wouldn't hurt, but remember, any dust that gets to the cartridge is airborne in suspension and will go wherever there is flow in the cartridge. The only stuff that will go to the bottom is whatever is airborne in the cartridge after you shut the DC off.

Jim Becker
01-31-2006, 2:32 PM
You "can" do it...and you can also locate the filter somewhere else with ductwork (even 30 guage will work fine) where you can hang it in the normal position. Mounting the Oneida filter in the "normal" orientation is going to make it a lot easier to clean each time you, umm...forget to empty the bin and plug the filter with blow-by. It happens... ;) Not to mention it makes regular cleaning a lot easier. (The more you use your system with sanding devices, the more often you'll need to clean the filter, too) My filter is located about 5 feet away from my cyclone for convenience in arranging my DC/compressor closet. I could have put it somewhere else quite easily by extending the duct to that location.

Guy Boulianne
02-01-2006, 9:39 AM
You "can" do it...and you can also locate the filter somewhere else with ductwork (even 30 guage will work fine) where you can hang it in the normal position. Mounting the Oneida filter in the "normal" orientation is going to make it a lot easier to clean each time you, umm...forget to empty the bin and plug the filter with blow-by. It happens... ;) Not to mention it makes regular cleaning a lot easier. (The more you use your system with sanding devices, the more often you'll need to clean the filter, too) My filter is located about 5 feet away from my cyclone for convenience in arranging my DC/compressor closet. I could have put it somewhere else quite easily by extending the duct to that location.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Jim, Are you sure it does happen t overfill the bin ??? I dont why you assume that :rolleyes:

To obain my best setup I would just have to turn the outlet loooooong 90 degree horizontally (instead of vertically) and add a 90 degree to bring things vertical again. The SP (Bill Pentz's static calculator) is at .07" for an 8" 90 degree elbow (furnace pipe, to be used on RETURN ONLY) so it should not have any notiveable impact on my worst case calculated SP, at around 7" at the TS.

Jim Becker
02-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Guy, you'll be fine extending the line to the filter. Oneida offers flanges that make the process easy, although they are not inexpensive. They are very heavy and have the gaskets to insure that the fines stay in the line to the filter. I'll try and post a picture sometime today.

Joe Chritz
02-01-2006, 12:42 PM
If you do order the flanges for the Super Gorilla make sure to ask for the correct size. When I installed my recent DC (A 2 HP super gorilla) I was sent flanges that apparently where for an older model or something.

They corrected the problem and sent the correct ones but it would save a couple days in installatiion.

I will say that the system is rockin. Moving from a small bag DC to a big cyclone with ducting and blast gates was like moving into a sports car.

As far as mounting it horizontally I would think also that the fine dust would clog the filter some. I get very little dust in the basin, but what I do is extremely fine.

I think Oneida said within 10 feet to mount the filter. Mine just pokes through the wall from an unheated area to the heated shop space.

I know pictures, pictures. Today I promise.

Enjoy the system

Joe

Guy Boulianne
02-10-2006, 10:37 AM
You know what ????

What I was about to do was turning the transition elbow (from the blower outlet to the filter) horizontally, and then, if I wanted to set the filter vertically later on, just add an additional elbow.... Well, the outlet is not a sqare but a rectangle.... and so the flange and the bored holes to attach it.... So if I want to stick with this plan, I will have to add a fitting between thw outlet and the transition, with a larger flange and use two sets of bolts to install it. Quite a bit more work than just turn the thing 90 degree.... 20 minutes wasted, or invested to learn ;-), to uninstall the filter, unbolt the transition, turn the thing horizontal, see that it was not to work this way, rebolt it vertical and re-install the filter, a lot of this in a step ladder. I mounted my collector at the maximum heigth that I could, this happens to set the motor at 1" from the sloped ceiling, and the ductwork just 1" or 2" lower than the the lower portion of the ceiling (90"), without any elbows in the horizontal plane.

I should complete the wiring and a minimal ducting tonight or tomorrow to test it !!!!

Guy