PDA

View Full Version : What a Wine Find

Jim Koepke
06-16-2023, 6:37 PM
How many people are going to start tearing down old walls due to this?

https://vinepair.com/booze-news/madeira-wine-bottles-1700-found/

jtk

Bill Dufour
06-16-2023, 11:59 PM
Better then Al Capone's vault at any rate.
Our French friend told us when a child is born the father should buy at least one case of wine and put it away for the wedding reception. For his oldest daughters reception he served at least one case and several big bottles aged 25 years or more
Bill D.
BilL D

Patty Hann
06-17-2023, 12:24 AM
Our French friend told us when a child is born the father should buy at least one case of wine and put it away for the wedding reception. For his oldest daughters reception he served at least one case and several big bottles aged 25 years or more
Bill D.
BilL D

After 20-25 years, unless it is (1) high quality wine, and (2) stored in ideal conditions, you'll have bottles and bottles of vinegar.
(But, you will be set for the salad dressing at the reception.:D)

Jim Koepke
06-17-2023, 3:40 AM
Bill D.
BilL D

After 20-25 years, unless it is (1) high quality wine, and (2) stored in ideal conditions, you'll have bottles and bottles of vinegar.
(But, you will be set for the salad dressing at the reception.:D)

I have bought birth year vintages of wine for my son and some of my grandchildren. Good Cabernets have aged well so far for two 21st birthdays. Have one more bottle to open next year.

Depending on the time of year it was two or three years after their birth years before the wines were released to market.

jtk

Patty Hann
06-17-2023, 3:52 AM
I have bought birth year vintages of wine for my son and some of my grandchildren. Good Cabernets have aged well so far for two 21st birthdays. Have one more bottle to open next year.

Depending on the time of year it was two or three years after their birth years before the wines were released to market.

jtk

Where do you store it?

Jim Koepke
06-17-2023, 3:45 PM
Where do you store it?

I kept some bottles in a fire safe file cabinet in the coolest part of my garage. Also have kept them on shelves in my bedroom.

The were stored laying on their sides so the cork would stay in contact with the wine. On the shelves they were covered in old cloths to keep out light and help with temp stability.

Just remember to give the bottles a quarter turn once a year, but that isn't as important as not letting them go through extreme temperatures.

Also it is a good idea to let them stand upright for a day or two before opening to let any sediment drop to the bottom of the bottle.

jtk

Patty Hann
06-17-2023, 6:06 PM
I kept some bottles in a fire safe file cabinet in the coolest part of my garage. Also have kept them on shelves in my bedroom.

The were stored laying on their sides so the cork would stay in contact with the wine. On the shelves they were covered in old cloths to keep out light and help with temp stability.

Just remember to give the bottles a quarter turn once a year, but that isn't as important as not letting them go through extreme temperatures.

Also it is a good idea to let them stand upright for a day or two before opening to let any sediment drop to the bottom of the bottle.

jtk

Thank you... I have not had any luck in making a red last longer than about 6 years.