PDA

View Full Version : New drill press?

Gary Markham
06-14-2023, 7:27 PM
I am working on a project with a lot of holes up to 1” dia that have to match up for connectors. I have a 30+ year old craftsman 15” drill press and have had trouble with hole alignment. I replaced the chuck and belts which helped, and have a laser coming tomorrow. I have wanted a larger drill several times so if I did upgrade which is the better option. A bigger standard drill like a 17”-20” jet, grizzly or similar or a nova Viking or voyager. I know the Viking is not much bigger at 16” but that’s really all I need. I want to upgrade for quality accuracy more than throat or travel. I was thinking bigger table, stable weight and bigger Morse taper would improve accuracy. Although the nova MT is the same as I have now. Thoughts?
thanks
Gary

Derek Cohen
06-14-2023, 7:41 PM
Gary, if you can afford the Voyager, then I would recommend it. I’ve had one for about 3 years now and it has not skipped a beat. I will likely never use all its features, but the variable speed on tap, the powerful motor, its ability to dial in the ideal speed for a wide range of drill bit types into different media, and long throw, all make for a more productive experience.

Regards from Perth

Derek

andy bessette
06-14-2023, 8:37 PM
Almost anything will be a step up from a Craftsman. But it sounds like it is not your drill press which is limiting you, but rather your lack of proper layout, setup and fixturing. A laser would be entirely useless to me.

If you have room for only 1 machine, and really want to upgrade, I would look for a quality, used, heavy duty, 3-phase machine and run it off a VFD.

Greg Parrish
06-14-2023, 8:54 PM
I had the Voyager floor press in my prior shop and it was really nice. I now have the Viking bench press and I’ve already had numerous times that it didn’t have enough column height. Quill travel was good but with a long bit and a tall piece, there just wasn’t enough column height. Power wise, and feature wise, I haven’t noticed much difference. From a quality stand point, I had run out issues with both but it was the nova chuck and taper. If you have issues you can always replace the taper/chuck and I think it would be much truer running. Commons features include the extreme ease of changing speed by spinning a knob, large table, both direct drive, etc. They do make a Viking floor model as well, I think.

Cary Falk
06-14-2023, 8:57 PM
I'm no expert on drill presses but I have had several over the years. I now have an old Powermatic 1200 VS. My 3 favorite things on a DP are quill travel, not having to change belts, and a crank to change table height. Most people make or buy an aux table that is geared towards woodworking so to me table size doesn't mean much. I had a laser come with my Steel City drill press and it was worthless for aligning things because the lines were so wide. A floor model takes up only slightly more room than a benchtop so you might as well get a floor model and build a cabinet below the table. I only slightly pay attention to drill presses on the market, but if I was in the market, I think the Voyager would be pretty close to top on my list. The only downsides are the price and if the electronics crap out the drill is toast if parts ever become obsolete. I don't know if that is true though. If you can swing the cost of the Voyager, then that is probably what I would do.

Kent A Bathurst
06-14-2023, 9:18 PM
Voyager plus Llambrich keyless chuck

Unreal quality and engineering all around

Ultimate “cry once “

Bill Dufour
06-14-2023, 11:10 PM
If you have room for only 1 machine, and really want to upgrade, I would look for a quality, used, heavy duty, 3-phase machine and run it off a VFD.[/QUOTE]
I will say again that pretty much any tool designed for factory three phase is better made and designed.
Also normally cheaper to buy used. A VFD gives variable speed, quick reverse and power brakes.
Bill D

John Ziebron
06-14-2023, 11:21 PM
Years ago I upgraded and bought the PM2800B. And had issues with it from the start including the Reeves drive. Plus I didn't like the fact that the display was always on and you had to unplug it to really turn off power. I had it for less than a year when the Voyager came out. I bought one of the first ones.

And I've never regretted it. The 6 inch quill travel is great and being able to dial down to 50 RPMs with a powerful motor I've used it to tap metal. As Kent inherently points out the chucks that come with any drill press are not very good. I went middle of the road in cost and bought the Jacobs super ball bearing keyed one. Almost immeasurable runout and I can chuck my smallest drill in it -.022".

Jonathan Jung
06-19-2023, 8:12 PM
Almost anything will be a step up from a Craftsman. But it sounds like it is not your drill press which is limiting you, but rather your lack of proper layout, setup and fixturing. A laser would be entirely useless to me.

If you have room for only 1 machine, and really want to upgrade, I would look for a quality, used, heavy duty, 3-phase machine and run it off a VFD.
+1 agree, a 3 phase drill press with a VFD is a fantastic choice. I have 2 1940s-1950s Walker-Turner units and enjoy them a lot.

Steven Cooper2
06-19-2023, 11:44 PM
Anther vote in old machine with vfd.

I've got an old early 40s delta 19 inch dp i got for free from someone cleaning their garage, and the a vfd on it and it is fantastic. Hopefully the solid bits last another 80 years.

Of course a nova would be nice too.

Dave Sabo
06-20-2023, 9:02 AM
I see a lot of guys recommending an old 3ph machine with a VFD, and just shake my head.

It's not so simple as deciding "I want that" and placing the order. Around my orbit (SE USA) they don't appear for sale every month and a year or more may go by before I see one. Machines w/o a vfd are a bit more common, but not by much. And then I've got to source, install, and program the vfd instead of making holes. Now, I'm certain I can get a 3ph press from one of the industrial equip. brokers in the area, but their prices are pretty close to a NOVA - and I've still got the VFD hassle. So what's the point of that ??? All of this also assumes that said press doesn't need new bearings, spring, chuck, ect..ect...

I agree with the notion that an old 3ph w/VFD is a good option if one is available to you. If it's not, I think waiting around for one to materialize carries too high an opportunity cost.

andy bessette
06-20-2023, 9:19 AM
...waiting around for one to materialize carries too high an opportunity cost.

It may not be the best option for lazy shoppers or for those only willing to buy a used machine if it already comes with a VFD.

David M Peters
06-20-2023, 11:03 AM
I think it would be worthwhile talking about your process for locating holes. I doubt that there's enough runout or play in the machine to cause them to be mis-located.

I have a nice 17" Jet drill press but still make mistakes with it!

Gary Markham
06-20-2023, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all the input. I do agree a lot of my issue is my process. These parts are riser boxes and treads for a stacked stair assembly for a sea ray yacht. I am attaching the 4 step unit together with zip connectors once all 8 pieces are in the cabin because the assembly won’t fit through the door. Anyway I have to holes in the riser edge to match the hole in the tread. I am working with the drill press over my bench and the table rotated to the back. This is because the biggest riser is u shaped and about 30x25” and 9” tall. I discovered the drill was pushing off the work piece and rotating the column backwards. Also the column was not as square to the bench top as could be. I squared the dill to the bench top with a 1/2” aircraft dill (straight and long) chucked up and also weighted the base with cement blocks to keep it from pushing off. Holes are much better now. Thanks for pushing me to check the whole process
gary

Dave Sabo
06-20-2023, 11:13 PM
It may not be the best option for lazy shoppers or for those only willing to buy a used machine if it already comes with a VFD.

or for those needing a press in the short term to do a job, laziness has nothing to do with it.

Do you buy your food? Clothes ? Lumber?

Why, because you’re lazy ?

James Jayko
06-21-2023, 8:25 AM
or for those needing a press in the short term to do a job, laziness has nothing to do with it.

Do you buy your food? Clothes ? Lumber?

Why, because you’re lazy ?

I think Gary's point was that they (drill presses already fitted with a VFD) don't come around every day so you'll have to look a bit harder...

Dave Sabo
06-21-2023, 10:20 AM
I think Gary's point was that they (drill presses already fitted with a VFD) don't come around every day so you'll have to look a bit harder...

um.......did you mean Andy ?

And I think he meant what he said, other wise he woulda left out the part before the "or".

Clearly my point was lost that not every market has 3ph presses available all the time - with or without VFD's - or at prices that make sense ...............and that not everyone who needs a new press has the luxury of time to wait for one to materialize. For those that can wait (maybe indefinitely) it is a viable option. Assuming the price is right, cause if it's not........more waiting.

Got nothing to do with effort.

andy bessette
06-21-2023, 10:35 AM
or for those needing a press in the short term to do a job...

When you want it bad, you get it bad.

I suppose there are actually some who wake up one morning with the idea: "I just have to have a drill press...now!

Joel Gelman
06-21-2023, 11:02 AM
My dream drill press for a decade was a Delta (Walker-Turner) radial drill press. I finally found one that was right, and 3 phase. A couple of pictures before restoration including upgrades with a power lift and a VFD where I could turn a knob and see the RPM on a display. No belt changes to adjust speed. I think in many ways a vintage radial drill press is way better than anything you can get new, and major advantages are being able to drill holes much farther from the edge of the wood and the fact that the table does not move up and down (while it can swivel side to side in the process). In my case, with the VFD, I found that there was inadequate torque when using larger Forstner bits, especially at the proper lower RPM. I am NOT a physics expert so forgive me if I am not correct in the use of the words torque and horsepower, but it is my understanding that when you use the VFD you cut your torque and HP in half. I am not sure about that, but what I am sure of is that my larger Forstner bits stop turning as I am cutting wood, and that is not how my Powermatic worked. Solution is I am about to swap the motor for a 1 HP one. If I had to do it over, I would still get the Radial Drill press. I think when the motor is swapped all will be well. I made this comment due to the posts about the 3 phase with VFD.

Chris Parks
06-21-2023, 10:30 PM
Joel, your low speed power loss is most probably caused by the VFD you have and a VFD with vector control will sort out the problem. Even with vector control extremely low speed will still stall the motor but that would also be the case without a VFD.

Bill Dufour
06-21-2023, 11:14 PM
A. motor run by a vfd is full horsepower at rated 60Hz. reduce it to 30 hz and horsepower drops to 50%. Go to zero hz and zero horsepower is produced. It is a nice simple ratio. Max horsepower is only as much as the vfd can produce. Very not safe to run a motor above 80hz or below about 30HZ.
Bill D

Ron Selzer
06-24-2023, 6:42 PM
but what I am sure of is that my larger Forstner bits stop turning as I am cutting wood

Did you switch your belt over to the slowest speed before using the larger Forester bits? This will let the motor run faster for the spindle speed and thus have more horsepower available.
Ron

Bill Dufour
06-24-2023, 8:05 PM
Power lift? Do you mean power downfeed? Delta bought out WT just to get the DP line
Bill D

Dave Sabo
06-24-2023, 8:31 PM
When you want it bad, you get it bad.

I suppose there are actually some who wake up one morning with the idea: "I just have to have a drill press...now!

Dont be absurd Andy.

While 3ph presses may be plentiful and available every week or month on the secondary market for bargain prices in SoCal , that’s not the case everywhere. So if I’m in the market for a press and my area doesn’t have them often, or at reasonable prices ; then I have to ask myself how long do I want to wait hoping that a suitable one materializes? That might be tomorrow, or next year, or next decade. That uncertainty , and lack of opportunity using a tool has a cost.

For the skinflint retiree with more time than money an a penchant for doing without - waiting around for that bargain basement 3ph press for 150 bucks would be quite attractive. For others, waiting indefinitely just to save a few bucks has little appeal. Especially if they get caught on the wrong side of an inflationary cycle like we’ve experienced recently.

andy bessette
06-24-2023, 8:55 PM
Dont be absurd Andy.

While 3ph presses may be plentiful and available every week or month on the secondary market for bargain prices in SoCal , that’s not the case everywhere. So if I’m in the market for a press and my area doesn’t have them often, or at reasonable prices ; then I have to ask myself how long do I want to wait hoping that a suitable one materializes? That might be tomorrow, or next year, or next decade. That uncertainty , and lack of opportunity using a tool has a cost.

For the skinflint retiree with more time than money an a penchant for doing without - waiting around for that bargain basement 3ph press for 150 bucks would be quite attractive. For others, waiting indefinitely just to save a few bucks has little appeal. Especially if they get caught on the wrong side of an inflationary cycle like we’ve experienced recently.

Dave, if you really believe that you can't, you're right! Absurd would be waiting around for a $150 3-phase machine to suddenly "materialize". That's not how it works. It generally takes real effort to find bargains. But one can much more easily find good value at fair prices. And that can be shipped anywhere.

Tom Bussey
06-25-2023, 11:30 AM
Usually an electric shop will have 3ph motors around. It it easy to change out motors on a drill press. If you are happy with your drill press except for something. You can get the motor usually that is also the place to get a VFD.

andy bessette
06-25-2023, 11:41 AM
Usually an electric shop will have 3ph motors around. It it easy to change out motors on a drill press. If you are happ with your drill press except for something. You can get the motor usually that is also the place to get a VFD.

One thing to note is that drill presses that come with 3-phase motors are usually heavy duty in all aspects.

Joel Gelman
06-25-2023, 12:33 PM
A friend has an identical radial drill press but without the VFD. He has no problem drilling with Forstner bits. He can't change the speed by turning a knob and see the RPM on a display, but he has to deal with belt changes to change the speed. Trade off. Not such an issue for him as he keeps it at a faster speed even though the speed charts suggest fast for smaller bits and much slower for larger Forstner bits. I am actually looking at changing to a ENC brand (from Canada) single phase VFD to go to a 3 phase 1 HP Marathon 1750RPM motor and so the drill press will plug into a single phase 220 outlet. Actually my PM2800B 1 HP single phase Powermatic worked fine. Therefore, I do not think 3 phase is all that necessary for a drill press. I just like the advantages of a heavy duty machine that offers the advantages of a radial drill press design and a fixed table and an ability to raise and lower the bit without having a lateral shift etc.

Enclosed are pictures. Also a picture of the power lift where you raise and lower the head without cranking.

If one wants a radial drill press, easy to find by searching "radial drill press" on eBay. Of course condition varies and restored is harder to find. My power lift and VFD and cosmetic upgrades are bonuses, but all that matters is that it work smoothly without runout or other mechanical issues.

Bill Dufour
06-26-2023, 12:03 AM
Looks like the power lift is just a big gearmotor replacing the handcrank on the stock raise/lower table gearbox. I have a vague plan for something like that.
Bill D