PDA

View Full Version : Steel

Gabriele Piccini
01-31-2006, 9:40 AM
Hello there, I not very often post on this forum but I need help about steel for infill plane.
Reading posts regarding these planes I learned that C1018 steel could be the right stuff. Here (in Italy) I'm not able to find such type. I found the type here is called FeB 44 K and has this composition:

<TABLE borderColor=#808080 cellSpacing=1 borderColorDark=#808080 width=582 borderColorLight=#808080 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=91 height=1>
COMPOSIZIONE CHIMICA

</TD><TD align=middle width=91 height=1>
ACCIAIO

</TD><TD align=middle width=91 height=1>% C max</TD><TD align=middle width=91 height=1>% P max</TD><TD align=middle width=91 height=1>
% S max

</TD><TD align=middle width=91 height=1>% N max</TD><TD align=middle width=71 height=1>Carbonio Equivalente</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width=91 height=10>analisi di colata</TD><TD align=middle width=91 height=10>
FeB 44K

</TD><TD align=middle width=91 height=10>

</TD><TD align=middle width=91 height=10>0,012</TD><TD align=middle width=71 height=10>< 0,50</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Could be it a right steel to initiate without purchase on the web and pay a lot for ship?

Philip Glover
01-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Here is the chemistry for SAE 1018

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=570 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>Carbon

</TD><TD></TD><TD colSpan=3>0.14 - 0.2

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>Iron

</TD><TD></TD><TD colSpan=3>Remainder

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>Manganese

</TD><TD></TD><TD colSpan=3>0.6 - 0.9

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>Phosphorus

</TD><TD></TD><TD colSpan=3>0.04 max

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>Sulphur

Regards,

Phil Glover

</TD><TD></TD><TD colSpan=3>0.05 max

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ben Franklin
01-31-2006, 3:03 PM
Gabriele,
First a little about C1018. This is an American designation from AISI-SAE, and so it is no surprise that the Italians do not use this designation.

C = Basic Open Hearth Process - carbon

10XX = Plain Carbon Steel

The general range of 1010-1030 are Low Carbon Steels of 0.10% - 0.30% Carbon

The 18 portion of the designation means 0.18% Carbon

Standard 1018 Chemical Composition ranges:

0.15/0.20 % C
0.060/0.090 % Mn
0.040 % P (max)
0.050 % S (max)

Assuming the FeB 44K is another low carbon steel (which is what it appears to be from the composition you have listed), C1018 will be a little softer and will be somewhat less prone to work hardening. If your material were not a low-carbon steel, the chemical composition should have more elements listed. The % Mn will determine its machinability, and so since that does not appear to be listed, I'm guessing that this will be nominal for a low carbon steel.

Steels in the C1018-C1022 (or so) range are well-suited to cold forming - which is what you are doing in the peening operation of making an infill.

If your FeB 44K has been cold-rolled, you should consider annealing it to eliminate residual stresses. To determine if you need to do this, test the brittleness of the material by peening a scrap. If it cracks or breaks, then you will need to anneal it.

FeB 44K is considered slightly more "machinable" than C1018. I think that the slight additional hardness allows for crisper chips. This would mean that the filing process used in making an infill would be slightly easier.

All in all, my (slightly informed) guess would be that this steel would be just fine.

Ben Franklin

Gabriele Piccini
02-01-2006, 2:40 AM
Hello Ben

many thanks for the exaustive explanation.

philip marcou
02-05-2006, 3:52 AM
Gabriele, if you want , send us pictures and descriptions of your progress on this project.Ask questions.
You can see a picture of my first attempt, then the real thing with brass. I like to use the all steel one now, even though it has some features that need re-doing- I will keep it as a proto type. I used O1 oil hardening tool steel (DIN1.2510)

Gabriele Piccini
02-06-2006, 3:20 AM
Hi Philip,

send pictures of my jobs ???:eek: I haven't done anything.. for now:D .....I'm finding any advice about infill planes to know where to move me.. The principle trouble is actually I don't have a proper workshop...:( and time,time,time and time :rolleyes: ...and I don't know where to find such metal bars.let us see if the following days will be more lucky..

.. :eek: ahhh. is that your first attempt?? Sure it could only be in this way.. whatching the following planes....I like your planes too much :) .

mmhhh.. one thing.. is it necessary a lathe or one can do by freehands??

philip marcou
02-08-2006, 3:57 AM
Gabriele, the first knife made by me was with some files and a hacksaw, and a drill press. I vowed never again....
You could make a plane that way-but it would be needless punishment. A lathe is good for so many things. I have plenty machines and tools because they are what I like. Then good thing about metal working is that it requires much less space than woodworking, and there is very little noise too.
You should try to get a small lathe and milling machine combination machine.
Where to find such metal bars-hey, Italy is full of small engineering shops-ask those guys for tool steel, and check out their shops.

Gabriele Piccini
02-13-2006, 2:24 AM
Hi Philip,
Thanks for your advices and time.:)