PDA

View Full Version : paring chisel sharpening angle

Ray Newman
06-12-2023, 5:06 PM
Colleagues: my paring chisel needs sharpening due to a drop and landing straight on the bevel.

What is a good a grind and micro bevel angle? A friend says 20 degree grind, 3 degree micro bevel. I just never seemed to get the angles right when when previously sharpened.

Tony Wilkins
06-12-2023, 5:36 PM
Colleagues: my paring chisel needs sharpening due to a drop and landing straight on the bevel.

What is a good a grind and micro bevel angle? A friend says 20 degree grind, 3 degree micro bevel. I just never seemed to get the angles right when when previously sharpened.
What steel is it made of?

Tom M King
06-12-2023, 6:08 PM
Yes, depends on the chisel. My Marples I use 20. I have a couple of Stanley no.40's at 18. I don't do micro-bevels.

Jim Koepke
06-12-2023, 7:00 PM
As has been said, the deal is in the steel.

My chisels are mostly old oil hardened steels. For paring they have a flat bevel, no micro bevel, somewhere between 15-20º. They may require a touch up on the stones more often.

In thinking about it, There may not be any chisel other than carbon steel in my assortment.

jtk

Edward Weber
06-12-2023, 7:27 PM
As has been said, the deal is in the steel.

My chisels are mostly old oil hardened steels. For paring they have a flat bevel, no micro bevel, somewhere between 15-20º. They may require a touch up on the stones more often.

In thinking about it, There may not be any chisel other than carbon steel in my assortment.

jtk

+1
I also use 20 for paring, single bevel and most are in the 75-100 or more year range. I admit I have some newer chisels as well.
Oddly i bought the new ones first then went in search of the old ones.

Derek Cohen
06-12-2023, 7:46 PM
My Kyohisa slicks are all flat bevelled at 25 degrees.

Bevel angles are a compromise between ease of entry and durability. A 20 degree edge will not last long, sometimes one or two strokes depending on the wood.

I do not do secondary bevels as chisels are used both BU and BD.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ray Newman
06-12-2023, 11:17 PM
Gents: have no idea about the steel.

The 8” cranked neck blade has my initials and 1983 electro penciled.

Under magnification, it appears the blade is faintly and incompletely marked: “Dimic (??or is Diamond??)…Taylor…Sheffield…”

Thanks for any help.

David Carroll
06-13-2023, 6:34 AM
Diamic is a trade name used by Henry Taylor Tools. They are still around.

DC

David M Peters
06-13-2023, 2:50 PM
I'd do a 20 degree bevel and adjust from there. If it rolls over too easily increase the angle. Not sharp enough, decrease it. If it's not sharp enough for the task with a low angle then you might need to get one with better steel.

Ray Newman
06-13-2023, 3:47 PM
Gents: thanks from the help. On a whim, I sent Henry Taylor an E-mail asking 'bout the grind. I though H. Taylor, like so many of the old tool manufacturers, was out of business. Again, thanks.

Derek Cohen
06-13-2023, 7:52 PM
Ray, when you posted originally the description was “paring chisel”. Now that it is a “cranked paring chisel” I would recommend 25 degrees. This chisel will be used for paring away protrusions such as dowel stubs. That will impact the edge more forcefully than light paring of flat surfaces.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ray Newman
06-13-2023, 10:43 PM
Dere: sorry 'bout the confusion. I will try a 25 degree angle.