PDA

View Full Version : A surprising replacement for New Skin Liquid bandage

Andrew Joiner
06-11-2023, 6:38 PM
I started using New Skin brand of liquid bandage in 1990. It was great, dried quick and stayed waterproof. I bought some last year now and it's been a disappointment. I think they changed the formula. It takes forever to dry and even two coats don't stay on long.
I just bought the Walmart Equate version to test. It has 2 active ingredients. New Skin has only one. I tested it on a piece of cardboard next to the New Skin. Wow, the Equate version dry's quicker than the New Skin.
Today I got a deep cut and my finger. The Equate version really works. Even better than the 1990s formula of new skin. Sometimes you've got to test products and you don't always necessarily get what you pay for. The Equate brand costs less than New Skin !

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-11-2023, 7:35 PM
Thanks for sharing. Will need to pick some up. I'm sure I will need it any day now. :rolleyes:

Tom M King
06-11-2023, 7:59 PM
Thanks a lot for this. We sometimes use it when a puppy's umbilical cord won't stop bleeding easily. Better is good.

Alan Lightstone
06-11-2023, 9:31 PM
I've always used the medical grade liquid bandage, which is Dermabond, made by Ethicon. It's what we use in the OR to close skin. Single-use, sterile. I think it's a form of modified cyanoacrylate glue.

$22.49 each single use device. Ah, medical markups.

Bruce Volden
06-12-2023, 12:26 PM
This stuff works good on old guy's skin tags~~~~~~just sayin.

Bruce

Alan Lightstone
06-18-2023, 8:38 AM
For kicks I ordered some Nexcare Skin Crack Care to try. Gonna be the end of July, as I added it to my Subscribe and Save orders. After it arrives, the next time I get a cut (sadly a lot more common as you get older), I'll report back.

Still want to try medium or thick CA glue. I'm thinking that will work just about as good as the Dermabond, for a tiny fraction of the price.

Joe Wood
06-18-2023, 9:03 AM
Who has a link to the equate new skin? I can't find it on this page https://www.walmart.com/search?q=equate+new+skin

mike calabrese
06-18-2023, 9:07 AM
https://www.walmart.com/search?q=liquid%20bandage&typeahead=liquid%20bandage

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Liquid-Bandage-Topical-Analgesic-Antiseptic-for-Small-Cuts-0-3oz/2931704218?athbdg=L1103&from=/search
calabrese55

Joe Wood
06-18-2023, 9:18 AM
Thanks for that Mike, and Andrew!

Mike Soaper
06-18-2023, 9:32 AM
i've read

"most cyanoacrylate glues not designed specifically for medical use are formulated from methyl-2-cyanoacrylate, since it produces the strongest bond. Not only can such glues irritate the skin, during polymerization they can generate significant heat, to the point of causing skin burns. I gather this is a problem only if a large area of skin is affected."

Was Super Glue invented to seal battle wounds in Vietnam? - The Straight Dope (https://www.straightdope.com/21343325/was-super-glue-invented-to-seal-battle-wounds-in-vietnam#:~:text=In%201964%20Eastman%20submitted%20 an%20application%20to%20use,a%20specially%20traine d%20surgical%20team%2C%20with%20impressive%20resul ts.)

Alan Lightstone
06-19-2023, 2:16 PM
Interesting.

Here's a short paper about this from the NIH:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532293/

So I guess 2-Octyle Cyanoacrylate is the proper stuff.

George Yetka
06-19-2023, 2:53 PM
For kicks I ordered some Nexcare Skin Crack Care to try. Gonna be the end of July, as I added it to my Subscribe and Save orders. After it arrives, the next time I get a cut (sadly a lot more common as you get older), I'll report back.

Still want to try medium or thick CA glue. I'm thinking that will work just about as good as the Dermabond, for a tiny fraction of the price.

In my experience there is quite a bit of burn with this

Mike Null
06-19-2023, 3:38 PM
We've been using ordinary superglue for several years and are generally satisfied with it.

Alan Lightstone
06-19-2023, 3:45 PM
In my experience there is quite a bit of burn with this
Burnt skin, or it just stings?

George Yetka
06-19-2023, 3:51 PM
Burnt skin, or it just stings?
Stung. Your better off with other products. Electrical tape and a piece of paper towel works well for temporary use then Neosporin and bandaid later

Alan Lightstone
08-02-2023, 9:46 AM
So, doomed by this thread, I've gotten a couple of cuts I needed to address over the past few days. I bought some New Skin to try out, and some Nexcare.

Well, after trying them both (and some nice bleeding), I can say the Nexcare is head and shoulders above the New Skin. I just tossed out the New Skin. The New Skin easily failed and the cuts reopened despite multiple applications.

I got the Nexcare on Amazon. I'm ordering another one for the workshop. Dermabond is clearly better than both, but the cost is crazy high.

Haven't tried the Equate yet. Really not anxious to get more cuts and be a guinea pig for this.

Patty Hann
08-02-2023, 10:02 AM
So, doomed by this thread, I've gotten a couple of cuts I needed to address over the past few days. I bought some New Skin to try out, and some Nexcare.

Well, after trying them both (and some nice bleeding), I can say the Nexcare is head and shoulders above the New Skin. I just tossed out the New Skin. The New Skin easily failed and the cuts reopened despite multiple applications.

I got the Nexcare on Amazon. I'm ordering another one for the workshop. Dermabond is clearly better than both, but the cost is crazy high.

Haven't tried the Equate yet. Really not anxious to get more cuts and be a guinea pig for this.

So specifically which Nexcare product are you using/referring to, should some of us become unwitting guinea pigs.
(There are lots of bandages on the Nexcare website, and other stuff as well.) Thanks

Alan Lightstone
08-02-2023, 10:23 AM
So specifically which Nexcare product are you using/referring to, should some of us become unwitting guinea pigs.
(There are lots of bandages on the Nexcare website, and other stuff as well.) Thanks
Nexcare Skin Crack Care

Here's the Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Nexcare-Skin-Crack-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B0000DH8OW?th=1

I'm always amazed that CVS seems to have less and less Bandaid brand bandages and 3M stuff these days, and more house brands. In my experience, their bandaids are far worse.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big believer in generic medicines, but some of this other stuff is meh...

Patty Hann
08-02-2023, 11:02 AM
Nexcare Skin Crack Care

Here's the Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Nexcare-Skin-Crack-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B0000DH8OW?th=1

I'm always amazed that CVS seems to have less and less Bandaid brand bandages and 3M stuff these days, and more house brands. In my experience, their bandaids are far worse.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big believer in generic medicines, but some of this other stuff is meh...

Thankee

House/generic brand vs name brands....Yep...lots of house brands are inferior.
Some things don't matter, or at least I've never noticed any difference.
I use Equate for Antibiotic ointment and for almost all OTC meds, and alcohol, peroxide, gauze pads.
But not bandaids....I still use J&J because the generics ones (as you noted) don't stick.

Tom M King
08-02-2023, 8:05 PM
Thanks for posting the link Alan.