PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have an Amazon experience like this?

John Ziebron
06-11-2023, 12:23 PM
I recently had a long, drawn out experience with getting a refund from Amazon and was wondering if others had an experience like this. I will try to keep this saga as brief as possible. Not that it should matter but I will preface this story by saying that I probably buy more than the average Amazon customer, am a Prime member and my purchases for the past 5 years they have been with an Amazon credit card. Also, in all the years of Amazon purchases I can count on one hand the number of times I had returned items.

Back in mid May I placed an order for a kitchen utensil. Total cost with tax was $26.45. A couple of days later I received a package in the mail but it contained a brass walking cane topper. Within the next 2 hours I applied, and was granted, a return/refund from Amazon and this incorrect item was taken to my local UPS Store for return shipment. The receipt I got contained a tracking reference number that is not like the usual ones we are used to. Later I discovered that it references a bulk shipment. Bottom line here is that I cannot track this number to ensure this incorrect item actually gets delivered.
As most of you are aware, when you go through this process the moment the return carrier scans it Amazon issues the refund which is then indicated as such on their website. And that was what happened in this case. Four days later I decided to check the CC website but the credit was not there. I then called Amazon Customer Service and, after some checking, was told that my credit should appear in a couple of days, which it did not. Four more days later the next person I talked to told me that the incorrect item was just received and that my refund would not be issued until this item was placed back in stock and that would take 3-4 days.

In the course of 3 weeks I had talked to 4 CS reps at Amazon, the last 2 supposedly being supervisors. I was told by 2 of them that the item was received and all four supposedly did something to assure me that my refund was taken care of. But it still never appeared on the CC website. In between these phone calls I received 5 automated emails indicating that a refund could not be issued because Amazon claimed that I told the USPS that this package was lost and not delivered, which was not true. Interestingly though, the emails also state that they have confirmed that I received the package but, of course, there is never a mention of my returning the item. I did convey all this information to the people I spoke with. I even replied back to 2 of these emails (one of them actually requested I supply information) with all the details including pictures of the package label showing the USPS tracking number and the UPS Store receipt.

None of this seemed to matter as the last email I received at this point said that unless I provide further feedback Amazon considers this matter closed and no refund would be issued. As a last resort, I called the CC company to dispute this charge. The young lady was very understanding and took down all the information. She also posted the credit, which appeared the next day, and said the ball is in Amazon's court to prove I don't deserve a refund. 4 days later I received an email from Amazon (this one from an apparent different source than the others) saying they have been made aware of my dispute and asked if I could explain my reasons for it. I replied back with the simplest explanation I could. 7 minutes later a reply came back saying they would notify the CC company to close the dispute in my favor.

I understand that with the millions of shipments from and to Amazon every day there will be problems. But in my mind this was just a cut and dry case of them shipping the wrong item and if I weren't diligent in checking the CC status I never would have gotten my refund. Clearly, Amazon's internal systems don't always play well together. The real monkey wrench here seemed to be that Amazon incorrectly indicated that I claimed I never received the package. But I don't understand why 4 humans couldn't override that mistake and understand that they received back the wrong item. I can't help but think that AI is somehow involved in this. I sincerely hope that none of you will have to go through an experience like this that took over 7 hours out of my life.

On a bright ending note, I did reorder the item 3 days after sending the wrong one back and did receive the kitchen utensil that I wanted.:o

Patty Hann
06-11-2023, 12:48 PM
Never had that problem with Amazon but then, as they warn you in the financial world, "Past performance is no guarantee of future results", I wouldn't be at all surprised if something like that will eventually happen to me (or others).
What a nightmare,...Glad you were able to resolve it.

What DID happen was that I received one of those cutesy "adorable" statue things (about 6" high) of a dog (or maybe it was a cat) from one of those places like the Bradford Exchange (or similar) which I had never ordered.
Along with it came a copy of my "order" (all personal info was correct) saying that unless I returned the statue within [whatever time frame] my CC would be charged.
The info they had did not show any CC info.

I know that if you receive something that you did not order (from any merchant) you are not required to either pay for it or return it.
However, I didn't want to take any chances so I canceled my Visa card (and Visa said they would deny any charge made by the company).
Also, the "statue company" did send me a return label (no charge) to send back the statue, which I did, tho' at no little inconvenience to me.

And when I called to find out why I had been sent the statue, they said their files showed I had signed up for their "subscription service".
You know the kind... they send me one of those cheesy things every other month, which upon receiving I either have to pay for it or return it.
(the "Columbia Record Club" zombie rise-eth)

So I canceled all of that (or hoped that I did) and waited....
That was last year and nothing more showed up. But I have to wonder how I got "subscribed" in the first place....

Frederick Skelly
06-11-2023, 2:15 PM
[QUOTE=Patty Hann;3260385]But I have to wonder how I got "subscribed" in the first place....

Could be that someone thought it might be funny to sign you up. It’s easy enough to do - the neighbor’s kid playing a prank, etc. (In school, I knew a girl who did just that.)

Sam Force
06-11-2023, 5:22 PM
Years ago my wife ordered a pair of Reebok shoes, she was notified they were delivered in just 2 days. They never showed up at our house, after several attempts to contact the seller and get either the shoes or a refund she got nothing. After several failed attempts Amazon became involved and informed her that the shoes were delivered to .... S Carolina on a specific date. When she informed them that that could be correct but that she lived in Illinois, a refund was quickly made.

Larry Frank
06-11-2023, 6:30 PM
I buy a lot from Amazon and amazed at how well they do and few problems. I can get many things overnight. I have had a couple of problems but mostly very good rxlet.

Stan Calow
06-12-2023, 9:07 AM
Not as bad as that, but bad enough that I now scrutinize the product descriptions really closely to avoid any third party supplier based in China. It seems that some of them are small mom & pop businesses that don't quite have a good handle on customer service, or the infrastructure to handle complaints and returns. And some that must use some Chinese form of google translate to do their correspondence.

Bill George
06-12-2023, 10:19 AM
Yes Problems with Amazon and I am a good customer. Couple issues with them, read my posts on here.

Brian Elfert
06-12-2023, 12:06 PM
The biggest problem I had was a $1,500 item that got damaged in transit and Amazon returned it to the warehouse. I had to place a second order as Amazon didn't automatically send a replacement. I waited a few weeks for a refund for the first item and my refund never came. I contacted them via chat support and they issued the refund right away as they could see I never got the item.

Lee DeRaud
06-13-2023, 3:15 PM
Not as bad as that, but bad enough that I now scrutinize the product descriptions really closely to avoid any third party supplier based in China. It seems that some of them are small mom & pop businesses that don't quite have a good handle on customer service, or the infrastructure to handle complaints and returns. And some that must use some Chinese form of google translate to do their correspondence.
I'm wondering if something like that is in play here. I realize some things are location-dependent, but "received via USPS" and "returned via UPS" just screams "not shipped from Amazon" to me.

Bill Howatt
06-13-2023, 4:26 PM
I always look in the description for things like "Shipped from Amazon", "Sold by Amazon" or "Fulfilled by Amazon". Amazon has become a host for all sorts of small businesses, not just off-shore which likely would be more of hassle if there is a problem - I'm sure a lot of them are very good but...

John Ziebron
06-13-2023, 6:55 PM
I'm wondering if something like that is in play here. I realize some things are location-dependent, but "received via USPS" and "returned via UPS" just screams "not shipped from Amazon" to me.

The kitchen utensil I ordered was made in Japan and sold by a Japanese store but it was shipped by Amazon. I would say the vast majority of items I purchase from Amazon are shipped via USPS. In fact it seems like if I get an order from Amazon that is shipped by UPS or FedEx it comes directly from the 3rd party seller. And Amazon seems to prefer returns go UPS. They probably figure they have a better chance of getting it back.

Jim Becker
06-13-2023, 8:10 PM
The kitchen utensil I ordered was made in Japan and sold by a Japanese store but it was shipped by Amazon. I would say the vast majority of items I purchase from Amazon are shipped via USPS. In fact it seems like if I get an order from Amazon that is shipped by UPS or FedEx it comes directly from the 3rd party seller. And Amazon seems to prefer returns go UPS. They probably figure they have a better chance of getting it back.
95% of what we buy from Amazon comes in private delivery vans; the remainder is either USPS if small or UPS if larger and for the two latter methods, that's mostly third party shipping rather than Amazon fulfillment. This is certainly a geography thing because there are multiple large Amazon distribution centers here in the general Philadelphia area.

And to the question in the OP, no, we've not had that kind of issue. Refunds/Returns have always been easy. The only issue I've had was a few years ago my account was flagged and forbidden to post reviews. As it turned out, someone had cloned things, making it appear like I was reviewing things but I was not. That got cleared up with a bit of effort but with eventual success.

John Ziebron
06-13-2023, 10:38 PM
I live in a rural area between a couple of small cities. And in the last couple of years I've seen Amazon vans closer to those cities but I have not ever had a delivery by one of them nor have I ever seen one come down my 2 mile long road. But I suspect that will change in the near future.

Jim Becker
06-14-2023, 9:26 AM
Yea, I think that there are (reasonable) distance limitations on the direct delivery services which are largely contracted to small companies. The drivers have to be able to deliver at least a certain quantity of packages to make that cost effective as well as so the drivers can make money. They have long days as it is from what I've read. Getting out in the more rural areas is at odds with that because there is less "delivery density" to make a route pay off.