PDA

View Full Version : Do you change the oil on your whole house generator yourself?

dennis thompson
06-10-2023, 7:46 AM
I just got a call from the company that installed my whole house generator that they will be coming out on Tuesday to change the oil in my generator.
I also got a bill for $400 to do the oil change once a year and to come out one more time to test the generator.
I looked at my warranty and in an amazing coincidence, the 5-year warranty expires TODAY! June 10.
I would guess the generator has run for about10-20 hours over the last year, we haven't had any extended blackouts.
I can buy the oil and oil filter for $45. It looks pretty easy to change the oil & filter.
Do you change your oil on your generator yourself?
Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

Dwayne Watt
06-10-2023, 9:13 AM
You got a bill before they showed up to do any work? And it is $400! I want that oil change gig.
Regardless, changing oil on a small engine is not exactly rocket science. Messy, perhaps, but nothing more. I'd be willing to wager they will "find" something wrong on Tuesday as well given your warranty expires today. Testing a generator should be nothing more than switch off the main breaker at your meter and seeing the generator fire up within a few seconds. Personally, I would tell them to take a hike.

Bill George
06-10-2023, 9:42 AM
My guess they are doing more than an oil change, test run checking frequency and so on.

Jim Becker
06-10-2023, 9:49 AM
While it's not uncommon for the installer to provide these maintenance services, $400 is a bit steep for an oil change and plug replacement, which is what is normally done for the maintenance interval on a whole house generator. While it's not a difficult job, it certainly takes some labor time to do the work. THey usually do also look at diagnostics, etc. There's no reason you can't do it yourself if you want to. Just be sure you use the specified fluid or direct equivalent and the correct spark plug(s).

Bill Howatt
06-10-2023, 10:07 AM
If it's out of warranty, I'd certainly do the plug and oil change myself at that price, in warranty, I'd have them do it to keep arguments out of the warranty validity.
Remember the time factor in the price is when they leave their facility and return, not when they arrive at your house.
I googled a gas furnace cost for an annual inspection and it looks like around the $100 mark but that would be a very rough estimate and changing the oil, filter and plug might be a bit more effort.
Any chance you observed exactly all he did at a previous trip so you know what else, if anything, to do. I know I'd be checking the time-to-start and the voltage output as well. Hopefully you have or can get some preventative maintenance information for your model.

Bruce Wrenn
06-10-2023, 10:55 AM
Our whole house generator is a portable, that I made stationary. Oil change (it doesn't have a filter) means taking cap off, adding a section of drain pipe, opening drain valve and let it drain into waste oil can. Refill with fresh oil. Total time, including letting engine warm up before oil change, less than 30 minutes. My engine uses 36oz of oil in a change, so I open a quart (32 oz), plus have 4 oz measured out into another bottle. Both bottles have spouts from grease bottles on them, so pouring it in is easy. Thankfully in last few years, run time during the year is almost always the run time during monthly tests, less than 3 hours.

Bill Dufour
06-10-2023, 12:14 PM
On our old rototiller draining oil was messy job until..I got short length of hydraulic hose that threaded into the drain port. A pipe cap on the far end and the job became clean. Stationary engine copper pipe would be fine for such short run time. Copper pipe will crack from excess vibration but not in a few weeks of 24/7 running.
On my lathe similar situation for the headstock gearbox. I added a ball valve and an elbow pointing down for that. I changed out the elbow for a tee to hang the drain bucket on.
They make spring loaded ball valves to replace car engine drain plugs. The out port can be left as is or a rubber tube attached. I added a rubber 90 degree piece so flow is straight down. They even make remote cable operated valves.
Bill D.

https://www.fumotousa.com/f110n.html

https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F110N-LC-10-Lever-Engine/dp/B079RP4L36

Tom M King
06-10-2023, 12:40 PM
I would put a Fumoto valve on it and leave a hose on the valve. I use them everywhere possible. Cleanest oil changes ever.

Rod Sheridan
06-10-2023, 5:15 PM
You got a bill before they showed up to do any work? And it is $400! I want that oil change gig.
Regardless, changing oil on a small engine is not exactly rocket science. Messy, perhaps, but nothing more. I'd be willing to wager they will "find" something wrong on Tuesday as well given your warranty expires today. Testing a generator should be nothing more than switch off the main breaker at your meter and seeing the generator fire up within a few seconds. Personally, I would tell them to take a hike.

As someone who looked after standby power generation equipment for decades, testing a standby generator and transfer switch certainly isn’t as simple as you think it is.

Regards, Rod

Ralph Okonieski
06-10-2023, 5:46 PM
I do not change the oil myself. But, the amount we pay (~half of your cost) is part of a maintenance agreement.

Brian Runau
06-10-2023, 6:19 PM
I just got a call from the company that installed my whole house generator that they will be coming out on Tuesday to change the oil in my generator.
I also got a bill for $400 to do the oil change once a year and to come out one more time to test the generator.
I looked at my warranty and in an amazing coincidence, the 5-year warranty expires TODAY! June 10.
I would guess the generator has run for about10-20 hours over the last year, we haven't had any extended blackouts.
I can buy the oil and oil filter for $45. It looks pretty easy to change the oil & filter.
Do you change your oil on your generator yourself?
Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
I sign a 3 year deal, includes a new battery every 3 years, oil change and check up once a year. Less than 400. Shop around for a service agreement in your area. Brian

Jack Frederick
06-10-2023, 9:09 PM
My generator reported its test running per schedule and would show any errors as well as run hours . Yes, I changed my oil, filter and plug. On my single cylinder Generac the price issue is valve adjustment. Check the service manual for things other than oil, filter, filter and plug and decide when to call them.

Tom M King
06-10-2023, 10:21 PM
Adjusting valves on a small engine is a pretty simple job.

dennis thompson
06-11-2023, 6:00 AM
As someone who looked after standby power generation equipment for decades, testing a standby generator and transfer switch certainly isn’t as simple as you think it is.

Regards, Rod
Rod
Would you then recommend I retain my generator company?
Thanks

Rod Sheridan
06-11-2023, 8:43 PM
Rod
Would you then recommend I retain my generator company?
Thanks

Dennis, I would first request a detailed itemization of the work to be performed.

A small generator has less consumable items, however labour can be similar.

Aside from routine mechanical checks ( I don’t know if yours is air or liquid cooled), I would expect a lab analysis of lubricating oil, a corrosion inhibitor test of jacket water if liquid cooled, every few years an insulation resistance check of alternator windings, cranking battery tests, load test using a load bank for one hour, and transfer switch inspection, maintenance and testing.

Regards, Rod

roger wiegand
06-13-2023, 8:24 AM
I do all the PM on our generator. It seems pretty straightforward. The price for a "service contract" from the vendor was up in the $400 region, and basically covered only oil/filter changes as far as I could tell. What really frosted my cake was the clause in the contract that disclaimed all responsibility for any damage their negligence might cause-- so if they left the drain plug loose and all the oil ran out it's not their responsibility.

At that price I'd be expecting a real service contract where they fix it when it breaks (with priority in emergencies) as well as do the periodic maintenance.

Bill Dufour
06-13-2023, 11:10 AM
I doubt a home backup generator will need a valve adjustment in 25 years for most. How often do you adjust the lawnmower valves? By the time I need to do it the carb is shot and the plug needs cleaning.
For a standby generator I would put a spare plug in a sealed jar or medicine bottle next to the machine. Easy to find in the dark when needed. For $400 I would switch the carb over to run on NG or propane. Skip one tune up to pay for the carb. I think that will have a better return and make it more likely to run when needed.
Who says service every 12 months why not 11 or 13 or 18, 24 etc? Car oil change and services are now computer generated.
Bill D

Tom M King
06-13-2023, 2:34 PM
I had a Stihl FS110 that was new in 1999. For several years, I had a man that ran it for over 20 hours a week in grass growing season. A few years ago I read on one of the forums that those 4Mix motors needed to have their valves adjusted after a while. I opened it up, and the valve lash was right on spec. It needed no adjustment. That string trimmer still runs like it always has, but I've done some adjusting of shrubbery with the tractor, and a new wide mower that can project the deck under bushes, so the only string trimming needed is done with an 18v cordless one. I gave that trimmer to the guy that used to run it for me, along with the smaller riding mower last year.

dennis thompson
06-19-2023, 6:26 PM
As I said when I started this thread the cost for twice a year maintenance was $400 which I thought was a lot. I decided to try the company my neighbor uses, they wanted $600:eek:

Jim Becker
06-19-2023, 6:59 PM
I missed that it was twice a year, Dennis. $200 per is pretty reasonable...if you actually need it changed that often. The Generac at our previous property was specified to have that done once a year. The Generac here at the new place (same model) is spec'd to have oil change and plug maintenance every two years. The installer for the old place, at least at original install timeframe charged $280 for that service. I don't know what it is from my current installer as I didn't ask...

dennis thompson
06-19-2023, 8:47 PM
I missed that it was twice a year, Dennis. $200 per is pretty reasonable...if you actually need it changed that often. The Generac at our previous property was specified to have that done once a year. The Generac here at the new place (same model) is spec'd to have oil change and plug maintenance every two years. The installer for the old place, at least at original install timeframe charged $280 for that service. I don't know what it is from my current installer as I didn't ask...

The $400 included one oil change, the second visit was just a checkup

Jim Becker
06-20-2023, 9:57 AM
The $400 included one oil change, the second visit was just a checkup
Not such a good deal then...not sure why the second checkup is even needed, particularly in "our" geography where there's not generally a large amount of run time unless there's a very unusual weather event like Sandy a number of years ago.

Tom M King
06-20-2023, 11:16 AM
How much does the unit cost to start with? Just the unit cost. No add ons.

Jim Becker
06-20-2023, 4:24 PM
How much does the unit cost to start with? Just the unit cost. No add ons.
$6-10K for a 22kw unit, depending on the source plus any infrastructure work and labor. I had to add an second 100 gallon propane tank here which was a chunk of money, too.

Robert LaPlaca
06-20-2023, 5:06 PM
I have a 22kw Generac NG unit installed at our home in Charlotte. The electrical company that installed the unit services the generator once a year, they replace the oil, the spark plug and any other required service, they charge $240 for the yearly service.

Paul F Franklin
06-20-2023, 7:09 PM
I recently signed a contract to have a 26KW NG generator installed. I asked about maintenance contract cost during the quoting process. The installation manager, who had seen my shop during the quote process, said it's $236/yr, but that I was obviously handy and could handle it easily myself.

Allan Dozier
06-20-2023, 9:17 PM
As long as we are talking generators, I just finished welding up a stand to put ours on. I made it out of stainless steel so should be plenty strong enough. Most of the ones I see sold are aluminum and with the added freight charges were quite expensive so I decided to make one. In addition to keeping dirt off and keeping it above snow it should make oil changes much easier since no pump needed. 503069

dennis thompson
06-20-2023, 10:08 PM
My generator was $9,750 installed, that included the transfer switch. The installer also had to dig a trench of about 25 feet to run the natural gas line to the generator. I also have an outdoor shower (I live in a beach community) and he had to move a couple of the shower walls to accommodate the generator.

Larry Frank
06-21-2023, 7:25 AM
I am not real happy with my General whole house generator. It is about 3 years old and have had too many issues. The first was with the battery clamps when it was a year old. They had corroded. Obviously, there was an issue with them but not covered by warranty !

I have had an error code 1501 A couple of times and had to clear the code.

Now, it is just dead and I suspect a battery issue. Wonder what that will cost??

Tom M King
06-21-2023, 8:43 AM
Larry, I would change those cheap battery cable ends to some good quality tin coated copper ones, and that should take care of your problem. You can probably even find them on Amazon.

I have one of these hammer crimp battery cable tools here, and have never had a battery cable put together with it that has failed. I used to get cables made at a Napa store, but they always made the cable a little too long, so I decided to try one of these. I'm running a number of made here battery cables on tractors, boats, and equipment.

It's really aggravating to have tractor battery cables not exactly the right length when there are two batteries close together. With this tool, I can make them exactly like I want.

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Hammer-Crimper-Tool-Warranty/dp/B00E1UUVT0/ref=pd_lpo_sccl_1/138-7493386-2594623?pd_rd_w=bsGG9&content-id=amzn1.sym.116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_p=116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_r=GNZ6DYKQ9F45FR34M1QC&pd_rd_wg=RvH7w&pd_rd_r=248dc3bb-50a1-4b48-9c78-88a9cf949495&pd_rd_i=B00E1UUVT0&psc=1

Tom M King
06-21-2023, 9:18 AM
I use conductive grease on mechanical electrical connections. I even fixed a non-working garage door opener by putting this on the little eye wires that just stick into the head assembly. It has a lot of black carbon in it, so you have to be really careful in handling it or you will get black grease fingerprints all over everything. I've never had an electrical connection fail with it, including on tractors and equipment that sits outside all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Carbon-Conductive-Grease/dp/B005T8ROWA?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

It's not the same as di-electric grease. Di-electric is non conductive, but protects the area around where the contact is. This stuff increases the conductivity of the connection and still protects it from corrosion. The tradeoff is that it can be very messy.

Brian Elfert
06-21-2023, 10:19 AM
I installed my own Kohler whole house generator. I have not had a power outage more than a couple second blip since I moved into the house in 2014. I have a well so I wanted the generator. I ran a 110 volt circuit out to the generator so I could have a Battery Tender connected to the battery.

I do all my own service work. Kohler was nice enough to install a long drain hose on the engine for draining the oil. Generac put cheap battery chargers in a lot of their generators that were boiling batteries dry. A battery that is overcharged will cause the clamps to corrode.

Dave Cav
06-24-2023, 7:23 PM
I have a whole house natural gas Kohler. The last time I had it serviced was 4/21 and the price was $412 which includes the tax, fees and travel from Salt Lake City to northern Utah. I'm going to call again Monday to see what the current price is and if it's about the same I'm going to schedule another service. The service tech showed me all the maintenance points last time (including checking brushes) and I watched the oil change process in case I wanted to do it myself, but honestly I just don't want to mess around with it, and would rather have a factory tech come out every two years. When he came out last time he said every two years was plenty often, and with NG fuel and synth oil I'm not too worried about it.