PDA

View Full Version : There's a new kid in town

Mike Burkeen
01-31-2006, 8:18 AM
I have been lurking around here for a while and thought I would come out of the woodwork (pun intended) and introduce myself. I'm a 44 yr old Kid with a new toy. PSI turncrafter mini lathe. I have been making a few pens and now it seems all I can think about is "What am I going to make next" Does this mean I'm hooked?

I am very fortunate to live in the same little town as one the Creek's best .. Kieth Burns. I also had the pleasure of going to his shop last week for an impromptu lesson on sharpening and lathes in general. Super nice guy and pretty darn good at this round and round stuff. Thanks Kieth :) .

He was nice enough to give me a scrap of Poplar to practice on. Here is what became of some of it. (Hope this works)

Chris Barton
01-31-2006, 8:20 AM
Welcome to the creek Mike? Wade on in the waters fine! Nice turnings for a first post. We will be expecting many more.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-31-2006, 8:25 AM
Mike, welcome to the creek! Those turnings look a lot better than my first!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-31-2006, 8:28 AM
Mike.....Welcome to the Creek! Neat place to exchange information. Did I mention we like photos? BTW don't I repeat DON'T stir up the turners....It's worse than a hornet's nest!:rolleyes: :D Again.....Welcome!

Andy Hoyt
01-31-2006, 8:32 AM
Mike.....Welcome to the Creek! Neat place to exchange information. Did I mention we like photos? BTW don't I repeat DON'T stir up the turners....It's worse than a hornet's nest!:rolleyes: :D Again.....Welcome!

Ohh, were already stirred up Ken!

By the way - what are your plans for today?

And Mike - Welcome buddy, glad you're here. Good job with those two pieces. Did Keith fill you in about Tick Tock One? And how many cats were really present?

Bob Noles
01-31-2006, 8:42 AM
Mike,

Welcome to the Creek. Any friend of Keith's is a friend of ours for sure :)

I have the PSI Midi and have been enjoying my learning curve on it. We do like pictures around here and appreciate those of your 1st post.

btw... be careful who you hang around with as bombs drop from time to time around here and we don't want you to be an innocent victim :D

Jean Holland
01-31-2006, 8:42 AM
Wecome to the Creek. As Ken said, we do love pictures. The people here are wonderful. You are vey lucky to have someone close by to help you learn....take advantage (I'm sure he won't mind).

Jim Dunn
01-31-2006, 8:44 AM
Very nice for your first turnings Mike. Mine went from 4x4's to bottle cap sized in about 2min. I think it's a record of some kind?

Ken, you stirred us all up and I'm not even that much of a turner:)

Mark Cothren
01-31-2006, 8:45 AM
Welcome Mike! Any friend of Keith's......is due watchin'....:eek: :D

Very nice turnings you have posted! Keep feedin' us w/ pics.

Thanks for the picture and welcome!

Steve Clardy
01-31-2006, 9:44 AM
Welcome Mike!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2006, 9:49 AM
Welcome Mike. Lots of good friends here and lots of knowledge. Your turnings look great. Wish my first ones looked that good.

Mark Singer
01-31-2006, 9:52 AM
Welcome.....I don't turn much only if one side is getting too hot and I need sunscreen....welcome you will enjoy the creek...Don't forget the towel...water in the creek you know...:confused:

Glenn Hodges
01-31-2006, 9:54 AM
Good teacher, good results, keep at it, and welcome to the Creek.

Brad Schmid
01-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Welcome to SMC Mike!

Mike Ramsey
01-31-2006, 10:46 AM

Welcome to SMC Mike!! Nice to have a buddy nearby to help you begin
this life consuming process! :D .

Jim Becker
01-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Welcome, Mike! And you couldn't have a better mentor available locally... ;) Keith does fine work.

Mike Burkeen
01-31-2006, 2:08 PM
Thanks Guys, I've been lurking round here for a while before signing up so I sorta knew what type of folks hung out here ... Buncha bomb scared wierdo's ;)

Carole Valentine
01-31-2006, 2:42 PM
Welcome to the Creek! And to answer your question...yep, you are hooked!:)

Keith Burns
01-31-2006, 7:02 PM
Great job on those Mike and I,m glad you came out....let me rephrase that......joined in the fun !!! Anixous to see them in person. You have definately gone over to the dark side:D

Ernie Nyvall
01-31-2006, 7:19 PM

Aint it the truth.:D

Welcome Mike. Nice work, but then it's not surprising having had a day with Keith... in his shop.

Ernie

Ernie Nyvall
01-31-2006, 7:22 PM
Buncha bomb scared wierdo's ;)

HEY... who you callin scared?:mad:

Ernie

John Miliunas
01-31-2006, 7:29 PM
Hi Mike! Welcome to the Creek or otherwise known as the "Bomb Squad".:rolleyes: You're doing quite well and I see you've got our most important rule about posting pics down already! That's great! :) Come often, stay long! :) :cool:

Travis Stinson
01-31-2006, 7:56 PM
Welcome Mike. Be sure to keep a close eye on Keith......................;)

John Hart
02-01-2006, 9:41 AM
Welcome Mike!!!! Wow...I wish I lived near Keith. I might actually improve!!!:) Wonderful place to hang out...there and here!!!:D