PDA

View Full Version : Freight charge for 1 qt of water based stain

Brian Runau
06-08-2023, 11:43 AM
I ordered flooring from Baird Brothers in , OH near Youngstown. Fedex freight charge for 1 qt of water based stain was over $30. I questioned Baird on this, but got no where. My experience with them was excellent, but this seems weird to me.

I worked in the Industrial market, Mechanical Power Transmission, and was Purchasing Manager and Product Manager last 10 years. Worked closely with our warehouses. We had to have a certificate to ship aerosols (since they would often go on a flight) since they were petroleum based and under pressure, but we could and rates were in line with normal UPS/Fedex ground shipping.

I for the life of me can't figure out why this would cost so much to ship?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Brian

Jim Koepke
06-08-2023, 11:54 AM
Some companies will only use a single carrier.

Many carriers have restrictions on liquids or hazardous materials.

Even though a water based stain isn't necessarily hazardous, the shipper may have generic wording that treats all liquids the same as if they were dangerous materials.

jtk

Greg Parrish
06-08-2023, 1:26 PM
on the last couple of items that I shipped after selling them on the forum I noticed that Fedex was over $20 more for the exact same box compared to UPS. No clue why because it used to be the other way around from my location. Both prices were well more than expected though.

Brian Runau
06-08-2023, 6:09 PM
Jim & Greg: thanks for giving me some perspective. Brian

Bruce Wrenn
06-08-2023, 9:51 PM
Years ago, I ordered some R-404a Freon ( 30# cylinder.) Shipping was less than $20, but haz mat charge was over $50. Used to get R-22 thu local O'Reily's stores, as they shipped free to store on their trucks. Unfortunately, last two shipments disappeared from their trucks,or warehouses, so they no longer shipped to any store. At that time a cylinder of R-22 was about $300.

Barry McFadden
06-09-2023, 10:16 AM
Shipping can be crazy with anything. Often I'll be looking at buying a hardwood turning blank around 12"round by 3" thick. It may list at around $25 so when I go to check out the shipping charge will be $75 dollars or more. No thanks.

Bill George
06-10-2023, 8:49 AM
Be aware the selling company can mark up the shipping charges and they sometimes do.

Patty Hann
06-10-2023, 9:43 AM
I noticed that McMaster-Carr [relatively] recently began showing shipping charges (maybe in 2022?)
Since time out of mind they had never shown that. People said that if you call before placing the order you can get an "close approximation" of what the charge will be.
HA! no such approximation that I got was ever close to the real thing. I got charged $25 shipping for 12" piece of threaded rod that cost <$10. I was told that the shipping would be ~ $6.
So, I guess McM-C finally got the memo.

Jim Becker
06-10-2023, 9:46 AM
Be aware the selling company can mark up the shipping charges and they sometimes do.
Vendor shipping isn't just for the carrier charges in many cases...it's also for packing and handling labor and materials. So the cost charged being more than the USPS/FedEX/UPS/DHL/etc charges shouldn't be surprising. Those handling costs are not necessarily less for a small package than they are for a large package, either.

Bill George
06-10-2023, 10:32 AM
If I find something online, I usually end up ordered from Amazon, and with Prime its sometimes Free.

Bill George
06-10-2023, 10:37 AM
I noticed that McMaster-Carr [relatively] recently began showing shipping charges (maybe in 2022?)
Since time out of mind they had never shown that. People said that if you call before placing the order you can get an "close approximation" of what the charge will be.
HA! no such approximation that I got was ever close to the real thing. I got charged $25 shipping for 12" piece of threaded rod that cost <$10. I was told that the shipping would be ~ $6.
So, I guess McM-C finally got the memo.

https://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Galvanized-Thread-Length-Threads/dp/B00G3N1SKE/ref=sr_1_14?crid=5075RPM17WXA&keywords=1%2F2+inch+threaded+rod&qid=1686407664&sprefix=1%2F2+inch+threaded+rod%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-14

Ken Combs
06-10-2023, 12:07 PM
I suspect that is a seller charge, not shipper. The reason I think so is that I have ordered auto finishes several times in the last year or so. Paint, filler primer, epoxy primer etc. All were delivered cheaper than I could buy local. Indicates to me that the shipper isn't overcharging. But, all came with special precautions in packaging. Clips that hold the lid to the can, heavy plastic bag enclosing the can and fitted foam between the can and box. All that would have been seller supplied.

Patty Hann
06-10-2023, 12:35 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Galvanized-Thread-Length-Threads/dp/B00G3N1SKE/ref=sr_1_14?crid=5075RPM17WXA&keywords=1%2F2+inch+threaded+rod&qid=1686407664&sprefix=1%2F2+inch+threaded+rod%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-14

Rod was brass and a "not typically in demand" size...believe me, if Amazon had carried it I would have ordered it from Jeff.

Rick Potter
06-11-2023, 3:32 AM
I needed new O-rings for my Jessem router guides. I ordered two sets as I also have the TS guides, and they had all turned to goo. I checked into buying them elsewhere, but couldn't be sure of the proper type, so just bought them from Jessem and punched the order key without checking on shipping.

They came in a small envelope, weighed about an ounce or so, and the shipping cost was $20 for 8 O-rings.

PS: A tip. Don't buy extra's to use after they wear out. I have an extra set of guides, unopened in the box, and the O-rings were also mushy.

Bill George
06-11-2023, 11:06 AM
I needed new O-rings for my Jessem router guides. I ordered two sets as I also have the TS guides, and they had all turned to goo. I checked into buying them elsewhere, but couldn't be sure of the proper type, so just bought them from Jessem and punched the order key without checking on shipping.

They came in a small envelope, weighed about an ounce or so, and the shipping cost was $20 for 8 O-rings.

PS: A tip. Don't buy extra's to use after they wear out. I have an extra set of guides, unopened in the box, and the O-rings were also mushy.

Years ago I purchased a O ring assortment kit and its paid for its self over and over.

Rick Potter
06-11-2023, 10:44 PM
Me too, Bill.

In fact I bought three altogether, one in metric sizes that strangely have the same numerical sizes as SAE.

None of the three selections I have go large enough, size 319 if memory serves. Besides, they are all black which may or may not be non marking.

I have been told they are urethane, which I can get on Amazon for less money for a pack of 25, but I didn't since they need to also be a certain hardness according to Jessem, but they didn't say what hardness. Of course the pack of 17 left, would have been mostly mush by the time I needed to use them after a few years.

So, I bit the bullet, but still was surprised by the shipping cost.

Patty Hann
06-11-2023, 11:19 PM
Me too, Bill.

In fact I bought three altogether, one in metric sizes that strangely have the same numerical sizes as SAE.

None of the three selections I have go large enough, size 319 if memory serves. Besides, they are all black which may or may not be non marking.

I have been told they are urethane, which I can get on Amazon for less money for a pack of 25, but I didn't since they need to also be a certain hardness according to Jessem, but they didn't say what hardness. Of course the pack of 17 left, would have been mostly mush by the time I needed to use them after a few years.

So, I bit the bullet, but still was surprised by the shipping cost.

Is there a reason that these "normally" turn to mush after a few years?
Urethane doesn't typically do that, at least not the urethane stuff I'm familiar with.
Or this something along the lines of "planned obsolescence"?

Dave Roock
06-11-2023, 11:31 PM
Shipping charges are higher than 15-20 years ago. With the things I ship, I find that FedEx can be higher for small town/rural areas. Often use FedEx Smartpost for those packages, they deliver to local Post Office who delivers from there. UPS can be cheaper but have seen simple packages arrive mangled (unacceptable). Sometimes shipping charge includes a little extra for the packaging/handling.

Ken Combs
06-12-2023, 12:24 AM
Is there a reason that these "normally" turn to mush after a few years?
Urethane doesn't typically do that, at least not the urethane stuff I'm familiar with.
Or this something along the lines of "planned obsolescence"?

I've encountered that issue with tool chest casters, band saw tires and car suspension parts. All originated in China.