PDA

View Full Version : Urn with collar display for a friend’s dog

Will Mullendore
06-07-2023, 3:27 PM
Rest easy, Zeke.

Walnut box. Grain flows all the way around. The lid has a glass pane. Removing the lid reveals the felt lined tray to hold the collar. The lid and box body have a rabbet, and the collar tray sits in the box body and also holds the lid square. Lifting the tray is the compartment for the ashes. Finished with Walrus Oil Furniture Butter. I was unfortunately in a time crunch, but I think this board would have been a perfect chance to learn French polishing.

Jim Becker
06-07-2023, 7:42 PM
That's a really nice urn and the collar display is very thoughtful.

glenn bradley
06-08-2023, 9:45 AM
A wonderful feature for a wonderful keepsake.

Stan Calow
06-08-2023, 6:13 PM
Great idea on how to keep and display the collar.

Frederick Skelly
06-08-2023, 7:04 PM
I really like what you’ve done.

Mike Null
06-12-2023, 3:03 PM
The idea is great; the wood is beautiful and French polish would be an ideal finish for this project.

Bill Carey
06-12-2023, 9:39 PM
Display of the collar in the velvet box is a great idea. And the box ix beautiful. Did you use anything else for the finish besides the walrus oil?

Will Mullendore
06-13-2023, 7:24 AM
Only Walrus oil’s “furniture butter” oil/wax finish. I’ve grown to like it a lot. Leaves a nice satin finish after a few coats and seems to protect well, with water beading on it even on my desk top. It requires touch ups on high-use furniture, but I don’t mind. Gives me a reason to touch the things I’ve made again.

Thanks for all the kind replies.

Ron Citerone
06-16-2023, 8:27 AM
Well thought out and beautifully executed Will!