PDA

View Full Version : Mandala Flower Of Life

Bruce Jones
06-05-2023, 8:53 PM
CARVING FLOWER OF LIFE

Hello once again everyone I've just about carved the third circle 36 triangles so far. They have only been carved straight through at 90 degrees to the base as of yet. I will do this to all of them before starting to add the curves. This gives you control over the shape so they look uniform to each other. This wood (Red Elm) is very hard and very close to White Oak, so the carving has to go slow and the cuts have to be sliced thin each time.

Keith Outten
06-06-2023, 8:47 AM
Looks like it going to be another beauty Bruce.

Bruce Jones
06-07-2023, 2:22 PM
Thank you very much Keith.
In response to a persons comment on another site about me carving these triangles with a knife. I have always done all of my work this way, but I use a Dremel with a few different bits and burs to remove the larger sections first to save time. I will let the photos do the talking but if you still have questions please just ask I will do my best to answer them. I should add each project is done in a different manner depending on the shape I'm trying to achieve. Here's a sequence of photos of me doing one triangle and the tools used.

Bruce Jones
06-07-2023, 2:26 PM
And here's the rest of the phots.

Robert Hayward
06-07-2023, 2:40 PM
Thank you for the pictorial of how you start the carving on this masterpiece in the making. As I follow along on your projects I frequently wonder how you begin.

Bruce Jones
06-07-2023, 7:48 PM
Thank you for the pictorial of how you start the carving on this masterpiece in the making. As I follow along on your projects I frequently wonder how you begin.Thank you Robert, I'm getting a really big response over this post on all sorts of sites.

Bruce Jones
06-09-2023, 4:43 PM
Hello once again everyone I have now completed about 50 of the triangles. Then went back and cleaned them up with my detail knife last night all but three are smooth, I then cleaned up the layout lines on the outside for the next go around. These next 30 triangles will have to be cut mostly from the out side only, because of the undercut lip on the bowl. The wood is also thicker here. You can see in the photos I will not be taking the pattern all the way to the rim, I have left a 5/16" band around the bowl this will have a detail of some kind added later. still a lot of carving on this part, but I'm looking at the Carnations on the rim these will have to be rough carved before I finish the center section for strength reasons while carving by hand.

Bruce Jones
06-13-2023, 4:22 PM
Okay everyone I have had a few that do not understand what I've been talking about when I said I was going to round over the ovals. The piece is strong enough for me to show where I'll be taking this project. I've also started carving through he curved section of the bowl. Here are some photos of the flowers on the outer side in various stages of carving & refining, and a view of the rough inside. You can also see where I have a line about 5/16 above the rim this will most likely get a pyrography stippling band.

Eugene Dixon
06-14-2023, 8:52 AM
Really nice. I like it.

Bruce Jones
06-16-2023, 12:48 PM
Thank you Eugene;
"CARVING FLOWER OF LIFE"
Hello once again everyone I've made some progress on this project. I have started carving through on the sides of the bowl. This has to be done almost all with knives and gouges, after I drill a hole in the widest place of the triangle. You will see the tools I'm using for this process in the photos, I've also rounded inside and most of the outsides flower peddles.

Robert Hayward
06-16-2023, 6:21 PM
Excellent work so far! Please keep showing us the progress.

Bruce Jones
06-17-2023, 8:04 PM
Excellent work so far! Please keep showing us the progress.Thank you Robert I will, There is still a great deal of work on this piece.

Bruce Jones
06-22-2023, 5:45 PM
"FLOWER OF LIFE"
Hello once again everyone I have now carved, rough filed & sanded 95% of the bowl section. I still will need to go back over everything with 220 & 320 grit. I will do this while carving the flowered rim to give myself a break from carving. It will be nice to be carving a different wood for a change. The Pommele Sapele is no where near as hard as the Red Elm. The center section inside the bowl will be one of the last things carved.

Eugene Dixon
06-22-2023, 8:58 PM
I can only say, "Ahhhhhhhhhh" with admiration.

Bruce Jones
06-29-2023, 4:30 PM
Thank you Eugene.
THE FLOWER OF LIFEHello everyone I have moved on with the carving of this project. I have carved a few flowers in various stages so you can get a better understanding of my process. You can see in the photos if you zoom in the first stage outlining cutting 1/16 "- 1/8" deep. This is very important to stop over cutting areas you do not wan cut. I have also shown the tools and files and sanding tools I use. I would have had even more carving done but I went back and have been refining the bowl section rounding, smoothing and sanding with220 grit

Keith Outten
06-30-2023, 10:27 AM
Bruce,

How many hours in this project so far?

Bruce Jones
06-30-2023, 11:19 AM
Bruce,

How many hours in this project so far?
Keith I do not keep track of hours, it would take away from the fun experience. if you look at the first post it was made 6-5, the gluing and turning started about two weeks before. I'm guessing 2-3 more weeks to fully finish this piece, I'm in no hurry just want a certain look when finished. there is still a few surprises that will be added to this piece. Thank you for taking time to comment.
On another note I have not heard from John K Jordan in quite some time is everything okay with him?

Thank you
Bruce Lee Jones

Keith Outten
07-01-2023, 7:36 AM
Bruce,

I understand your decision to let the hours go where they may on this project, sometimes its the journey not the destination :)

John's last visit here was on April 22nd, I will see if I can find out why he has has been gone so long.

Bruce Jones
07-02-2023, 5:09 PM
Bruce,

I understand your decision to let the hours go where they may on this project, sometimes its the journey not the destination :)

John's last visit here was on April 22nd, I will see if I can find out why he has has been gone so long.I hope he is alright that's a long time since he has made a post.

Keith Outten
07-02-2023, 8:23 PM
I called, no answer, and left a message on his machine.

Bruce Jones
07-03-2023, 12:18 AM
Okay thank you Keith I hope he is alright.
THE FLOWER OF LIFE
Hello once again everyone I had some time to work and have made some good progress on this project. I'm over half way around carving flowers on the inside rim and have six of the flowers on the outside carved.

Bruce Jones
07-11-2023, 12:08 PM
FLOWER OF LIFE
Okay everyone this project is coming to the end. I thought I would show the last major cutting & carving section. The very center can now be cut in, the photos should show how I'm doing this process but if you have questions please just ask. The next post will be of the finished piece with a few surprises I've added.

Bruce Jones
07-19-2023, 9:06 PM
Mandala " FLOWER OF LIFE"

This piece is now finished.

This semi segmented piece is made from Red Elm, Pommele Sapele and Tigers Eye stones. The finish size is 13" D x 6" with some pyrography work, the final finish is lacquer. After turning on the lathe the pattern was hand drawn and the pieces was hand carved.

John Kananis
07-20-2023, 10:08 AM
Fantastic piece, Bruce. I've enjoyed watching - thanks for sharing.

Robert Hayward
07-20-2023, 12:04 PM
Excellent piece of workmanship !

Eugene Dixon
07-21-2023, 6:51 AM
That sure beats a hen-a-peckin'. Really nice.

Bruce Jones
07-21-2023, 1:54 PM
Fantastic piece, Bruce. I've enjoyed watching - thanks for sharing.Thank you and you'er welcome thanks for following along.