PDA

View Full Version : Throat Plate or (5959z insert)

David Mueller
01-30-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm about to order a Grizzly 5959Z but noticed something curious. The throat plate is all on one side of the blade. Not sure of this situation with zero clearence plates. Looks like the left side of the blade will always be open. Any one use a system like this. I don't know of another saw like it. :confused:

lou sansone
01-31-2006, 5:33 AM
Hi dave
I looked at the grizz pdf for the 5959z and I don't see that the saw is any different than a standard TS.

lou

Bob Nazro
01-31-2006, 8:35 AM
The insert is different on this saw. It only covers the right side of the blade. You can make zero clearance inserts for this. When you bring the blade up through the insert it will work the same as a normal saw insert. The space on the left side of the blade will be covered by a portion of the insert ( a very narrow portion). This is a heavy duty saw designed for big jobs.

David Mueller
01-31-2006, 9:04 AM
Thanks Bob, I guess I'll have to wait and see. I know that the right side of the plate will be cut and function normally. I was trying to judge if the pre-made plates they have come over farther to cover the entire opening before you drive the blade up. Maybe a call is in order, thanks.

David Mueller
01-31-2006, 5:17 PM
Called grizzly and they are researching the size of the hole for the insert. Standard as shipped is 1/2" opening for the blade. that makes it 3/16" on each side of the blade. Pre-made insert in catalog is spec'ed out at 3 3/4" wide. Waiting to find out total opening width.

lou sansone
01-31-2006, 8:20 PM
sorry about the previous post. I quickly looked through the pdf manual and they seem to mix shots from different saws IRT the throat plate. once you look at the actual parts manual then it is clear. this is a strange setup.. I wonder why they have it configured that way. Bob says its because it set up for big jobs, but my rt-40 is a much larger saw and is not set up that way, either are many real work horse saws like the tannewitz, moak, northfield, oliver ,... ect
lou

David Mueller
01-31-2006, 9:53 PM
This is a strange setup.. I wonder why they have it configured that way.
lou

I was almost ready to order but once I saw this, I am now not so sure. I am awaiting some answers from Grizzly. If I can get a zero clearence like I expect then it maybe alright. If not, may have to look elsewhere.