PDA

View Full Version : Fixed My Milwaukee 12v Battery

Derek Arita
05-31-2023, 1:16 PM
So I purchased this driver kit a couple of years ago, but never used the batteries in it. I finally got them out and found one of them showed broken on the charger. I sent it in to Milwaukee and they wouldn't fix it under warranty. I decided to try jumping it with another battery to increase the voltage so the charger would proceed. It worked! It took less than 5 minutes of work. Why couldn't Milwaukee do that and charge a nominal fee? Oh well...

Greg Funk
05-31-2023, 7:19 PM
Because when a lithium battery is left on the shelf it can go into a severe undervoltage condition which the cells are not designed to handle. Leaving cells in a low-voltage state for an extended period can cause dendrite growth and a higher internal resistance. This can result in over-heating during charge. Boosting the battery will get it functional but it's a liability issue for Milwaukee.

Derek Arita
06-01-2023, 9:46 AM
Because when a lithium battery is left on the shelf it can go into a severe undervoltage condition which the cells are not designed to handle. Leaving cells in a low-voltage state for an extended period can cause dendrite growth and a higher internal resistance. This can result in over-heating during charge. Boosting the battery will get it functional but it's a liability issue for Milwaukee.

Copy that. Thanks for the explanation.

Rick Potter
06-02-2023, 1:51 PM
Do you think the same cure would work on a Lithium battery in my grand daughters handicap scooter? It has set for over a year and will not take a charge.

Larry Frank
06-02-2023, 7:35 PM
I am glad this has worked for some people. However, it is not something that I will do as I am not certain of the safety. Lithium battery fires are really dangerous.

Derek Arita
06-02-2023, 8:54 PM
I am glad this has worked for some people. However, it is not something that I will do as I am not certain of the safety. Lithium battery fires are really dangerous.

Yes. I did monitor the batteries with a volt meter. Once the bad set reached 3.6 volts, I stopped the jump. I made sure there was no over heating.

Tim Daniels
07-04-2023, 9:46 AM
Couldn't figure out how to send a question here BUT I wanted to ask if you ever bought one of those SN Tool Table Saws?

Derek Arita
07-04-2023, 10:08 AM
Couldn't figure out how to send a question here BUT I wanted to ask if you ever bought one of those SN Tool Table Saws?

No, def not.

Mark Gibney
07-05-2023, 9:59 AM
First time I have heard of these SN Tool tablesaws. Looked them up. They look pretty interesing, but perhaps suited to smaller craft work.
Anyone ever use one?

Walter Mooney
07-05-2023, 3:00 PM
I’d like to know your process for “jumping” one battery with another.

Thanks!

Derek Arita
07-05-2023, 3:24 PM
I’d like to know your process for “jumping” one battery with another.

Thanks!

Look on YT and you'll see examples. If the problem pack has a lower than normal voltage, you get a good battery and connect + to + and - to - until the voltage rises to a certain value, then it can be charged. Battery chargers only charge batteries over that certain value, otherwise it will indicate that it is damaged.

Bert McMahan
07-05-2023, 3:34 PM
Not that I condone it but if you have one of the multi-type battery chargers, you can "jump start" low lipos by charging them on the lead acid setting for a couple minutes at low current. Once you have to do that I doubt the battery will work much longer, but it might get you over a hump.