PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use EngraveLab???

Harry Radaza
01-30-2006, 11:48 PM
we do lots of high volume work for the fashion accessory industry. Problem is... most new accounts we get always ask for samples first before they do an order. Samples consist of neo classical or ethnic designs found in magazines. And these take forever to trace in corel.

Would EngraveLab be the solution to this? www.laserbits.com has Engravelab and engravelab scan. I quote:

"This software replaces the EuroVector software previously offered by LaserBits.
With EngraveLab Scan to Engrave, high quality B&W raster to vector tracing turns difficult artwork into easy vector design. This software includes unique editing tools that make image clean up fast and easy. The traced graphics can be imported into CorelDRAW or used with any CAD program, making EngraveLab Scan to Engrave a very versatile tool.
"

Just wanted to know what you guys are doing with logos and designs such as these? Tracing can take up to 2 hours from my artists.

David Barron
01-31-2006, 12:50 AM
I have not spent any time using Corel's trace program, but I've heard from some that it is better than EngraveLab's, while others have said it is worse. I've had the most success with Flexi's autotrace. It works very well, though it still is not perfect.

If the artwork is not of very good quality, you're going to have to work with the image. There really is no way around that. But again, your best bet is probably with Flexi. I'd suggest going with an OEM version, such as SignWarehouse's LXI or Ordway's (http://www.signsupply.com) ProDesign (I have preference to the latter, but I'm biased). Going the OEM route will save you money.

Dave

Rodne Gold
01-31-2006, 6:02 AM
There is no magic bullet in respect of raster to vector conversion. At the end of it all , retracing by hand will most likely give you the best results , whether you do it yourself or farm it out.

Joe Pelonio
01-31-2006, 7:43 AM
I have been using Adobe Streamline for years. It's easier to use and does a nicer job than Corel Trace, unfortunately is no longer available unless you can find an old copy on E-Bay or something. It was like $49. Adobe eliminated it when they came out with CS2 as it incorporates a trace function. My graphic artist prefers to manually trace using Freehand and is amazingly fast and accurate at it. There are also services that do it such as http://home.wi.rr.com/bertrandart/vector_art.html

Ed Lang
01-31-2006, 8:46 AM
Tell me more about this freehand trace. Are you using a tablet or tracing on paper and then scanning the fresh clear image?

Thank you

Lee DeRaud
01-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Tell me more about this freehand trace. Are you using a tablet or tracing on paper and then scanning the fresh clear image?I suspect he means actually tracing a hardcopy image with a pen on a graphics tablet. If you've got a reasonably steady hand and the smoothing settings dialed in, it works pretty well.

Joe Pelonio
01-31-2006, 11:11 AM
She uses the mouse. Draws the vector lines around the scanned bitmap image on the screen. For mostly curved objects she uses the "freehand" tool, otherwise the pen or bezigon tool.

Lee DeRaud
01-31-2006, 11:25 AM
She uses the mouse. Draws the vector lines around the scanned bitmap image on the screen.Whoa...lot steadier hand than I have, apparently.:p

Hilton Lister
01-31-2006, 2:02 PM
I have been preparing logos for engraving (rotary) since 1995. I have used EngraveLab V4.95. extensively but dismissed the trace module very quickly as clean up time was excessive. I prefer to hand trace a scanned image using the drawing tools with either EngraveLab or latterly Coreldraw (which I now favour). I use the bezier tool (with the mouse)and adjust curves and angles afterwards. That being said, excellent automatic trace results can be had with HP Precision scan if the original black and white copy is good.

Joe Pelonio
01-31-2006, 2:51 PM
It's just a lot faster to draw with the mouse than to delete thousands of extra points and change lines to curves or vice versa when you have poor artwork to scan. I am doing one right now that's a poor photocopy fairly consistant grey color but ragged edges like it's been blown up but that's all she has and needs vector cut acrylic.

Roy Brewer
01-31-2006, 9:09 PM
Just wanted to know what you guys are doing with logos and designs such as these? Tracing can take up to 2 hours from my artists.

Harry,

As you'll note in this thread, you need to chose your experts carefully when it comes to digitizing/vectorization. You noted, I'm sure, that each of us is sure the way we do it is the *only* right way. Certainly like any other software function, you can get fast & good with any software if you use it enough; I think all of us are like you in that we continue to keep our "ear to the ground" for better techniques/tools JIC that hotshot artist/employee gets angry (surely you notice how sensitive artists are).

I sell and use Flexi and EngraveLab, I use CorelTRACE much more, not because it is better, but much more accessible (other two are "dongled") on the road and I feel I must stay good with it since that's what a huge majority of my clients use. Be sure to download 15 day trial of Corel X3 if you haven't already, because huge advances have been made in CorelTRACE.

I rate the vectorization in Flexi slightly better than EngraveLab and EngraveLab slightly better than CorelTRACE X3. I'd like to emphasize Hilton's reference to any of the HP ScanJets that use PrecisionScan. This $200 hardware software bundle (available only in the used market) is superior to *any* of the above when it comes to b&w lineart --- especially very small stuff. Regardless of the other tools you have, I recommend that everyone should have a ScanJet with PrecisionScan.

Lee DeRaud
01-31-2006, 9:37 PM
As you'll note in this thread, you need to chose your experts carefully when it comes to digitizing/vectorization. You noted, I'm sure, that each of us is sure the way we do it is the *only* right way.Huh?!? Are you reading the same thread I am? Like Rodne said: "There is no magic bullet in respect of raster to vector conversion."

Mark Plotkin
01-31-2006, 10:58 PM
There is another program out for this. I saw it at the sign and graphics show last year and they had a seminar in my area last week. The program is called Imagaro Z. the web site is www.graphsysusa.com (http://www.graphsysusa.com). It is not cheap but it does work. It also finds over 40,000 fonts. I did not order at the seminar, but have since figured how much time I am spending on cleaning things up and am going to order.
MP

Harry Radaza
02-01-2006, 7:35 AM
the graphical systems software looks pretty good on the website. anyone used it? I just want any type of software that will speed up the job.

thanx for all the info guys

Mark Plotkin
02-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Harry,

I am heading to Calif. this weekend. I will be meeting with some people that have a golf and pad printing busieness. They purchased the software at the show last year in July. I am going to make sure it is up to speed with them before I order. I will post on sunday night or monday my report.

MP

Roy Brewer
02-01-2006, 3:21 PM
Huh?!? Are you reading the same thread I am? Like Rodne said: "There is no magic bullet in respect of raster to vector conversion."

Lee,

I need to be corrected occasionally. I worded that too strongly; but wouldn't you agree, that its pretty unusual to climb the learning curve on another program if you've become quite good at another?

Lee DeRaud
02-01-2006, 4:16 PM
I need to be corrected occasionally. I worded that too strongly; but wouldn't you agree, that its pretty unusual to climb the learning curve on another program if you've become quite good at another?That assumes the program you already know actually works well and isn't a complete PITA to use. Being reluctant to climb yet another learning curve is not quite the same thing as believing the current program is the One True Path.

I'm always on the lookout for a better mousetrap.:p

Michael McDuffie
02-04-2006, 7:25 PM
I tend to trace with the mouse myself. I've tried using my Wacom tablet but without some practice I'm not steady enough.

One trick I use is to lighten the original up quite a bit so that my trace stands out. I also put it on a seperate layer so I don't mess it up while tracing.

Michael