PDA

View Full Version : Tinting Epoxy

julian abram
05-28-2023, 10:12 AM
I'm a little behind the times and learning curve in using epoxy for filling holes, knots, defects, etc. Been using wood flour & glue and various commercial fillers for this purpose for many years. So, I'm purchasing quarts of West System resin and hardener to start the epoxy journey. I've been working on some projects with walnut and cherry. Question, what products do I use to color the epoxy? Any tips or suggestions appreciated. (Note: I am not building river tables, just filling knots, defects and small repairs.)

Jim Becker
05-28-2023, 10:19 AM
I use Transtint dye to color resin. There are also products designed specifically for that from the various resin vendors.

chuck van dyck
05-28-2023, 10:45 AM
I like Mixol. The #1 black regardless of wood species.

Jim Morgan
05-28-2023, 1:15 PM
I like Mixol. The #1 black regardless of wood species.

Or espresso-grind French Roast.

Richard Coers
05-28-2023, 2:52 PM
I prefer used coffee grounds to fill knot holes and dark colored spots. It makes a variegated color and the hole doesn't look like it was filled with plastic.

Brian Runau
05-28-2023, 6:27 PM
I got some powdered graphite from a manufacturer of graphite in KY, years ago I did product training at. I mix it in when I mix, it makes it black. Brian

jerry cousins
05-28-2023, 7:23 PM
i use dry painter's pigment - all kinds of colors - and mixing them to get right to color you need. https://gamblincolors.com/oil-painting/color/dry-pigments/
i mix the color in the resin and then add the hardener,
jc

julian abram
05-28-2023, 10:00 PM
I prefer used coffee grounds to fill knot holes and dark colored spots. It makes a variegated color and the hole doesn't look like it was filled with plastic.
So what do type of binder are you mixing with the coffee?

Patty Hann
05-28-2023, 10:42 PM
i use dry painter's pigment - all kinds of colors - and mixing them to get right to color you need. https://gamblincolors.com/oil-painting/color/dry-pigments/
i mix the color in the resin and then add the hardener,
jc
When you mix in the hardener do you use the amount you would have used without any pigment added (1:1 Hardener to Resin), or do you take into account the added volume of the pigment and adjust the hardener amount accordingly?

jerry cousins
05-28-2023, 10:53 PM
i use the same amount of hardener - the dry (dust) pigment does not really add to the mass.
jc

David Zaret
05-28-2023, 11:19 PM
i use both Mixol and transint for epoxy, and both work. the mixol feels as though it's more soluble in the epoxy, but both definitely work.

James Jayko
05-30-2023, 9:04 AM
India ink has worked well for me.

George Yetka
05-30-2023, 10:02 AM
I have used a few colored tints for kids projects and they have all been "ehh" some took a large quantity to start turning the overall pour. Transtint is extremely effective at filling. I havent used mixol