PDA

View Full Version : “Beall” Type Buffing Wheels

Walter Mooney
05-26-2023, 11:09 AM
Hello All. I have the Don Pencil buffing system and wheels, and need to get a second buffing setup. Maybe I was under a rock or something when it happened, but I just found out that the Beall folks have closed the business. Bummer! I had no idea! Anyway, I have a ‘mandrel’ type extension piece, similar to the DP system, that threads on to my spindle, so I need the three wheels, and the spherical buffs, that thread into the 3/8” end of the mandrel. None of the wheels I have are sewed (sewn?), and I see lots of wheels out there that are sewed, at least partially.

Can someone in the vast and quite knowledgeable Creek World tell me where I can purchase wheels and buffs similar to what I already have and am quite familiar with — layered cotton material, not sewn, with 3/8” hole in the center?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Patrick Morris IV
05-26-2023, 11:17 AM
Check with Lee Valley

Edward Weber
05-26-2023, 12:06 PM
Unstiched buffing wheels are easy to find, you'll just need to find some center flanges that fit your 3/8" arbor. This (https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Abrasives/Buffing-Polishing/Buffing-Wheel-Accessories/Buffing-Wheel-Mounting-Hardware?navid=2100154&cid=ppc-google-&mkwid=|dc&pcrid=&rd=k&product_id=&gclsrc=ds) might help

Kyle Stiefel
05-26-2023, 6:35 PM
I very recently when through this same issue as I needed to replace one of Beall buffs. I found a replacement at Penn State Industries very reasonably priced.

Larry Frank
05-26-2023, 6:45 PM
EBay has a huge number of buffing wheels and good prices.

Richard Coers
05-26-2023, 8:54 PM
Lee Valley worked a deal with Beal to market the product. I don't know if they will do the entire line. No idea of the quality, but Peachtree Woodworking Supply carries a generic system. https://www.ptreeusa.com/turn_finishing_buffing.html

Russell Neyman
05-27-2023, 9:29 AM
I've often said "The Beall Wood Polishing System is the best $49.95 I ever spent." (That was a long, long time ago, obviously. The system is about $80 today.) I'm a fan, so let me add a couple of observations.

WoodturnersCatalog.com still offers Beall products, so I'm skeptical that the company is no longer doing business. Perhaps they're selling exclusively through a limited number of distributors.

Don't underestimate those Beall polishing wheels. One is composed of linen, one is cotton, and the other is made of alternating linen and cotton sheets. Years ago I replaced one of them with a generic polishing wheel, and it wasn't the same.

Walter Mooney
05-27-2023, 11:07 AM
Richard, Russel, thanks so much. That was just what I was looking for in a reply. Russell, I knew they aren’t all cotton, I just couldn’t remember the other similar fabric that is used. I don’t remember what I paid for my Don Pencil system many years ago, but I’m in the same camp as you regarding best money spent. My DP wheels are of the same construction.

I’ll be checking those sources this weekend.

Richard Coers
05-29-2023, 11:53 PM
I've often said "The Beall Wood Polishing System is the best $49.95 I ever spent." (That was a long, long time ago, obviously. The system is about $80 today.) I'm a fan, so let me add a couple of observations.

WoodturnersCatalog.com still offers Beall products, so I'm skeptical that the company is no longer doing business. Perhaps they're selling exclusively through a limited number of distributors.

Don't underestimate those Beall polishing wheels. One is composed of linen, one is cotton, and the other is made of alternating linen and cotton sheets. Years ago I replaced one of them with a generic polishing wheel, and it wasn't the same.
You might want to check Beall's website. They closed the business at the end of Dec 2022. https://www.bealltool.com/

roger wiegand
05-30-2023, 7:41 AM
I'd be very surprised if they were making these buffs themselves; I expect that they are still obtainable from the original manufacturer. I'm guessing that if Lee Valley has picked up the brand they will continue to offer the same product.

Andrew LaPorte
05-30-2023, 3:30 PM
Have like new Beall sytem for sale in Victoria, Tx

Richard Coers
05-31-2023, 2:08 PM
I'd be very surprised if they were making these buffs themselves; I expect that they are still obtainable from the original manufacturer. I'm guessing that if Lee Valley has picked up the brand they will continue to offer the same product.
Good assumptions, but that doesn't help someone find out where to buy an identical set like a Beal set.

Bill Howatt
05-31-2023, 6:58 PM
Since Lee Valley is mentioned in the Beall notice I'd call Lee Valley and ask them if they will be getting the items into stock.