PDA

View Full Version : New lathe and other good news! **pic**

Curtis O. Seebeck
01-30-2006, 9:01 PM
All the planets must be aligned!

We adopted a beautiful newbown baby girl a week ago, my dad found out this last week that he is now cancer free, business looks good for this year (self employeed), and I got a new lathe. God has really blessed us.

Here is my new daughter, Katelyn Marie:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/MesquiteMan/Baby%20Katie/DSC00970.jpg

My dad, who is a big proponent of my woodturning, surprised me last week with $1,000 towards a new lathe! I almost bought the Jet 1642EVS that Amazon had on sale but I waited around too long and they sold out. I did not want to wait any longer so I decided to go to Woodcraft and get a DVR! I really liked it better than the Jet anyway but was thinking about the Jet due to it's longer capacity.

Anyway, I got a DVR 3000 with the stand for $1,500. I felt it was a good upgrade from my HF 34706 and really love the smooth operation and power. It seems like a really well built lathe that should meet my needs for many years to come. Here it is all set up in my shop:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/MesquiteMan/DVR.jpg

Karl Laustrup
01-30-2006, 9:07 PM
Well, Curtis I'd say you've been blessed just about every which way possible.

A new baby girl, a new iron baby, a dad that's gonna be around a long time to see his grand-daughter and the turnings that come off the lathe, and enough work to keep you busy.

Congratulations.

Karl

Jim Ketron
01-30-2006, 9:08 PM
Congrats On Both Babies!
The first one wins over though;) Congrats Pop:D

George Conklin
01-30-2006, 9:09 PM
Congrats. all the way around, Curtis. What a beautifull baby girl and welcome to the DVR owners club.

Now, put the baby down and turn something:D .

George

Cecil Arnold
01-30-2006, 9:10 PM
Congratulations on both your new aquisitions and the good news about your dad. Hope things stay sunny for you. I almost stopped in a week or so ago, maybe next time we're in the area.

Roger Myers
01-30-2006, 9:11 PM
Congrats Curtis...
all wonderful news, especially the joy of a new daughter.
The lathe will come in handy for all the furniture and toys you will want to spoil her with (and she will cherish forever), and your dad's health situation is also a wonderful blessing!
Enjoy all that you have been given....
Roger

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 9:20 PM
Curtis, CONGRATULATIONS on all counts, especially the beautiful child. I know from recent experience the joy of adoption and applaud you with gusto!

And yes, your turning is going to take a giant leap once you get rocking and rolling on the new DVR. Nice aquisition.

Avitar time!!

Paul Douglass
01-30-2006, 9:20 PM
You made my day with that story, It's nice to hear about someone who counts their blessings. Beautiful little baby. What is her name? When she gets to be a teenager you will love the lathe!:)

John Hart
01-30-2006, 9:22 PM
Wow Curtis....Congratulations Three Times!!! Just wonderful.:) :)

Corey Hallagan
01-30-2006, 9:27 PM
Sweet little Baby Daughter, Sweet news on your dad and Sweet lathe! Congrats all around!

Corey

John Miliunas
01-30-2006, 9:44 PM
Whew!!! It just don't get a whole lot better than that, does it??? Katelyn is sure to be the jewel of your life and now, Grandpa is sure to enjoy her for many years to come, too! :) Oh yeah...The lathe is cool, too! :D BTW, start thinking about some ballast for the base of that puppy. She's got the power to turn some BIG hunks 'o wood and you'll be needing the weight! :) Congrats all the way around, Curtis!:) :cool:

Travis Stinson
01-30-2006, 9:48 PM
Awesome news all the way around Curtis!!! Enjoy all your blessings.:)

Andy Hoyt
01-30-2006, 9:49 PM
I'm usually unbelieveably happy with a two-fer.

But a three-peat is just outta this world.

Congrats dad. (both of you).

Now, go get some sticky oozy mess on that thing

The DVR, that is:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2006, 9:49 PM
Curtis............Life is truly good! Congrats on all three!

Keith Burns
01-30-2006, 9:56 PM
Way cool Curtis..Congrats 3 times over:) :) :) .

Now quitely gather your new baby, wife, dad and lathe and go to your shelter before the explosion !!!!

Jeff Horton
01-30-2006, 10:35 PM
. God has really blessed us.

Congratulations! and I would put more stock in the blessings than the planets being aligned. ;)

Ron McKinley
01-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Congratulations Curtis! You've got a new daughter plus a new lathe. Nothing sweeter than a daughter...but a new lathe is a close second! <G> ....Ron

Mark Cothren
01-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Great news, Curtis! Praise the Lord!

Thanks for sharing your blessings!

Glenn Hodges
01-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Congratulations, and thanks for letting us see her.

Carole Valentine
01-30-2006, 11:35 PM
Fantastic, Curtis! The new Daughter and your Dad, especially! About the DVR...get some weight on that rascal! I have the same stand with the added weight of a bed extension and and outboard rig. I have 180lbs of sand and need more. I don't turn huge out of balance stuff either!

Pat Jeddy
01-31-2006, 12:09 AM
Your daughter is beautiful, congratulations to you and your wife.

I built an extremely overbuilt work bench for my original Jet midi, and now my DVR sits on it with lots of ballast below and the Jet. Good choice on the DVR. I love mine and am sure it will last me a long while.

BTW, Carole, you know why I bought it, I saw the set of posts about yours!!! I didn't have space for a PM or a General (there is a distributor not far from us) Thanks for the heads up!!

Anyway Curtis, while you're up waiting on 2am feedings, etc., you can plan your new bench!!! Wow, a very lucky man you are. Thank you for sharing.

Bill Stevener
01-31-2006, 12:12 AM
Outstanding triple play Curtis, what more can one ask for, a healthy dad, a new daughter and a new DVR. To round it all out, a great work future..

Have fun,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Curtis O. Seebeck
01-31-2006, 1:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I appreciate it!

Vaughn McMillan
01-31-2006, 4:27 AM
Curtis, congrats to all concerned on the quadruple play. Have you considered buying a lottery ticket? This might be a good week. :p

- Vaughn

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-31-2006, 4:51 AM
Curtis, congrats, on all fronts, and I want to thank you and your family for adopting that beautiful baby girl, your family must have a lot of heart!

Boy that sure is a nice looking lathe...................... sorry I had to stop for a minute to wipe the drool off my keyboard..........:D

Sure does look like it will benifit from some ballast.

......still waiting on my lathe......

Cheers!

Michael Stafford
01-31-2006, 5:58 AM
Excellent, excellent, excellent!:D

Bob Noles
01-31-2006, 6:08 AM
Curtis,

A most heart warming post. Congratulations on all accounts and may God continue his blessing on you.

That lathe looks awesome and I look forward to seeing what can be done on it :D

Jim Dunn
01-31-2006, 8:05 AM
What a supppppppperrrrrr gloat WOW. Me thinks you better get to turning now as in a short time you'll be very busy with that little lady, soccer,band,cheerleading,tea parties and the like. Congrats to you and your wife.

Chris Barton
01-31-2006, 8:17 AM
Great gloats! Now, time to turn a captive ring rattle on that DVR for the baby...

Jeff Sudmeier
01-31-2006, 8:27 AM
Wow Curtis, you have some great gloats there! Congrats on all three!

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Curtis congrats on all three counts. Your daughter is beautiful. Your world is about to begin. Glad to hear your dad is fine and doing well. That is one nice lathe.

George Conklin
01-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Fantastic, Curtis! The new Daughter and your Dad, especially! About the DVR...get some weight on that rascal! I have the same stand with the added weight of a bed extension and and outboard rig. I have 180lbs of sand and need more. I don't turn huge out of balance stuff either!

Here's a picture of mine loaded up with 300lbs. of sand. There is absolutely no vibration felt in mine.
George