PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #12 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
01-30-2006, 8:51 PM
January 30th, 2006

Woke today to a cold morning and by the time I got to the house it was snowing. :eek: Snowed up until about 10:30, but really didn't amount to much. Just kind of made the grass white. We had a rainy weekend so there is about 1/2" of water in the new crawl spaces.

The guys were already there and scoping out what and how they were going to tackle this beast. First order of business was to sweep the snow off the sill of the foundation. Of course for a while that was an endless chore.

About 9:30 the roof trusses showed up and were unloaded. I told the guys I'd help, if putting this thing together was anything like painting by numbers. :o :D They respectfully declined my offer and went to work preparing the pressure treated lumber for the sill plate.

By 11:30 most of the sill plate was on and it had stopped snowing. But now the wind was blowing and it went right through me. I went and got some lunch and went home for the day.

Here's pics of the progress today. I think tomorrows update will show a lot more. :D

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 8:59 PM
Nice update, Karl! Before you know it, the LOYL will be asking you to hang the blinds!

Karl Laustrup
01-30-2006, 9:09 PM
Nice update, Karl! Before you know it, the LOYL will be asking you to hang the blinds!

Won't have to worry about that Jim. Getting the Pella casement windows with the blinds already in them. Sweet. :)

Karl

Vaughn McMillan
01-30-2006, 9:42 PM
Now THAT looks more like a Wisconsin winter construction project. ;) For a while there, I thought you were taking pictures from some other state. :) It's gonna start looking like a house real quick here.

- Vaughn

Robert Mickley
01-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Hey Karl, ya shoulda fired up that deere and blew the snow off the sill.

Glad its you doing that in the snow, I sawed logs today with out a coat!!

Andy Hoyt
01-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Hey Karl - We got 14" of pure white overnight up here. Be happy to shoot you some via UPS. I aint ever gonna use that other day late a dollar short company again, if you know what i mean.

Bill Simmeth
01-31-2006, 7:14 AM
Karl, congrats on getting the trusses on site! That always seems to me to be a mental transition point from the process of laying foundation to closing in.

Nice to see the white stuff doesn't slow things down up there. Around here, the old boys woulda hid for a week!

Jeff Sudmeier
01-31-2006, 8:41 AM
Karl, glad to see this is still going well. It should really clip along now! Getting her closed in really helps to avoid weather delays.

Jerry Olexa
01-31-2006, 5:36 PM
Moving right along, Karl. The next stage will go quickly as it takes shape before you. Take pics of the interior walls wiring, etc for later reference..Before its sealed.