PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized steel pails

Patty Hann
05-22-2023, 4:03 PM
Where do you folks that need them get your galvanized steel pails, say, the 3 gallon size or maybe a little larger.
I have several that I bought 30 years ago; the handles were pretty beefy and the pail itself had some heft to it.
I just checked out the pails at the big box stores, and the handles are like wire; I can just see it hurting my hand when the pail is full.
Also the pail seems lighter than the ones I bought way back when.
Any suggestions for "sourcing steel pails" ? Thanks

Rob Luter
05-22-2023, 4:29 PM
Where do you folks that need them get your galvanized steel pails, say, the 3 gallon size or maybe a little larger.
I have several that I bought 30 years ago; the handles were pretty beefy and the pail itself had some heft to it.
I just checked out the pails at the big box stores, and the handles are like wire; I can just see it hurting my hand when the pail is full.
Also the pail seems lighter than the ones I bought way back when.
Any suggestions for "sourcing steel pails" ? Thanks

I got my last pails at Lowe's or Menards (Home Centers). They're from Behrens Metalworks

https://www.behrens.com/product/6-gallon-locking-lid-can/

These are six gallon. The bail handles are available with a "comfort grip" attachment. They have other pails without lids.

https://www.behrens.com/wp-content/uploads/6106-Can-Main.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2023, 4:48 PM
Way back when I was still smoking, I bought one to use as an ashtray on my carport at a local farm supply store. I believe it's intended use was for hand milking.

I just checked and there are several for sale on Amazon, even ones with wooden handles over the galvanized bale.

roger wiegand
05-22-2023, 5:03 PM
At the Amish store (one of the ones Amish people shop in, not the tourist variety). Don't know where they get them and it will be a while before I'm back there to find out. May not do you much good in Arizona I'm afraid. A real farm supply place (eg not Tractor Supply) would be my best guess.

Since the advent of ubiquitous "free" 5 gallon plastic buckets piling up in every untended corner of the garage and barn I haven't had much occasion to go pail shopping.

Rich Engelhardt
05-22-2023, 5:08 PM
Tractor Supply has them.

Patty Hann
05-22-2023, 6:02 PM
At the Amish store (one of the ones Amish people shop in, not the tourist variety). Don't know where they get them and it will be a while before I'm back there to find out. May not do you much good in Arizona I'm afraid. A real farm supply place (eg not Tractor Supply) would be my best guess.

Since the advent of ubiquitous "free" 5 gallon plastic buckets piling up in every untended corner of the garage and barn I haven't had much occasion to go pail shopping.

5 gallon is a bit awkward even if I only fill it to 3 gallons (I can't manage 5 gallons... "a pint's a pound the world around").
And the summer heat beats up the plastic; it eventually cracks/splits.
We still do have ranchers out here.....just not in Phoenix :rolleyes: :D... but I don't know any ranchers personally to ask them.

Patty Hann
05-22-2023, 6:03 PM
Thanks to all who responded. :)

Allan Dozier
05-22-2023, 8:08 PM
Agri-supply would be my first go to.

Allan Dozier
05-22-2023, 8:12 PM
Oops forgot I wasn't on our local forum. AgriSupply is not a national chain.

Ronald Blue
05-22-2023, 10:22 PM
One option.

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Mop-Bucket-3-gal-Capacity-2MPE7

John Ziebron
05-22-2023, 10:41 PM
Patty, years ago I bought a pack of 8 plastic handles that are intended to be used on pails to give one a larger, more comfortable grip. I bought them on Amazon and the 8 pack is currently unavailable but I see they do have a 2 pack. They are 2 piece that snap together and are able to be reused.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B3FYSDK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01B3FYSDK&pd_rd_w=yMLDJ&content-id=amzn1.sym.f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_p=f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_r=2DMXPZGNWT34FM9ENDHA&pd_rd_wg=Zrhx9&pd_rd_r=4b41050c-2d85-4dde-bfde-920ae4d82a3b&s=lawn-garden&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&smid=A18HEOMTYGJXA3

Clint Baxter
05-22-2023, 11:44 PM
Patty, years ago I bought a pack of 8 plastic handles that are intended to be used on pails to give one a larger, more comfortable grip. I bought them on Amazon and the 8 pack is currently unavailable but I see they do have a 2 pack. They are 2 piece that snap together and are able to be reused.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B3FYSDK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01B3FYSDK&pd_rd_w=yMLDJ&content-id=amzn1.sym.f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_p=f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_r=2DMXPZGNWT34FM9ENDHA&pd_rd_wg=Zrhx9&pd_rd_r=4b41050c-2d85-4dde-bfde-920ae4d82a3b&s=lawn-garden&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&smid=A18HEOMTYGJXA3

Lee Valley has similar ones even cheaper. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/home/storage/straps-and-lifting/112181-bigg-grip-bucket-handle?item=AC312

Patty Hann
05-23-2023, 3:02 AM
Thank you Ronald...Grainger is only a few miles from me (no shipping costs! :))
Thank you John and Clint... I will check out the handles

Maurice Mcmurry
05-23-2023, 7:22 AM
It is nice to see a few are still made in the USA. I recently found a decent one at Lowes. All of our farm stores and CO-OPs have them well as. I am sure Lehman,s has them. Lehman's is a neat old-timey store like Roger Wiegand has mentioned.
https://www.lehmans.com/

Jerome Stanek
05-24-2023, 11:48 AM
It is nice to see a few are still made in the USA. I recently found a decent one at Lowes. All of our farm stores and CO-OPs have them well as. I am sure Lehman,s has them. Lehman's is a neat old-timey store like Roger Wiegand has mentioned.
https://www.lehmans.com/
There are 2 Leman's in Amjsh country they are the same company but the bigger one in Kidron is now a tourst trap. The one in Mt Hope still deals with the Amish.

Bill Dufour
05-24-2023, 11:55 AM
I use some garden hose slit lengthwise.
make sure it is hot dipped galvanised not elctroplated.
You may have better luck looking for stainless steel
Bill D

Maurice Mcmurry
05-24-2023, 12:34 PM
There are 2 Leman's in Amjsh country they are the same company but the bigger one in Kidron is now a tourst trap. The one in Mt Hope still deals with the Amish.

We will be passing through soon I will keep Mt. Hope in mind for a rest stop. We want a windmill and deep well pump for the farm, as well a chain pump for the cistern. It is easy to get feeling nostalgic when looking at the Lehman's catalogue. I have their Hot Water From Your Wood Stove publication. Following through with that project is on my galvanized bucket list.

Thomas McCurnin
05-24-2023, 3:52 PM
I use bucket handles which snap on the wire handle or as a replacement when the original plastic ones crack.

https://xeroproducts.com/products/xero-snappy-grip-bucket-handle?variant=42741475279015&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw67ajBhAVEiwA2g_jEMJ66DHgMFHX43yYCYYe iTSd7FIAl8CRIHzAB2-YuAlr8SeFZSeBsxoCTCwQAvD_BwE

Patty Hann
05-24-2023, 8:27 PM
More good ideas ... thanks all :)

Jerome Stanek
05-25-2023, 6:17 AM
We will be passing through soon I will keep Mt. Hope in mind for a rest stop. We want a windmill and deep well pump for the farm, as well a chain pump for the cistern. It is easy to get feeling nostalgic when looking at the Lehman's catalogue. I have their Hot Water From Your Wood Stove publication. Following through with that project is on my galvanized bucket list. You will have to go to Keim lumber in Charm just to see the tools and exotic woods and great prices

Maurice Mcmurry
05-25-2023, 7:23 AM
You will have to go to Keim lumber in Charm just to see the tools and exotic woods and great prices

Thanks for the lead, That looks like quite a store. Youngstown is our halfway point. It would be a neat area for a day off from driving. Miss wants to walk on the tow path near Boston OH on her way to Boston MA. I get such tunnel vision for getting the drive over that I don't want to stop. Last time we made the trek was 2017. Coincidentally we scored an antique galvanized bucket from the ruins of Great Aunts summer camp on that trip.

Jack Frederick
05-25-2023, 9:41 AM
For a lot of the basics and good quality you might check out Lehman’s.

Bernie Kopfer
05-25-2023, 10:28 AM
The first place I would look is at a good farm supply store. Often they carry higher quality items.

Greg Parrish
05-25-2023, 11:41 AM
Tractor Supply, Agrisupply and Rural King stores should all carry them. Probably Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware too.

Mel Fulks
05-25-2023, 11:42 AM
I zinc so many speakers have galvanized their audiences that the amount of good pails now available , pales compared to years ago.
And those Wizard Of Oz plays ain’t helping anything !

Mike Null
05-25-2023, 12:06 PM
If you have time on your hands, that whole area of Northeast Ohio is home to some of the finest and most beautiful farm country you'll ever see.

Not too far off I71 in the Southwest part of the state is Wright Patterson AFB and the home of the Air Force Museum. It is a magnificent attraction and well worth a visit.

Excuse my Buckeye pride.

Maurice Mcmurry
05-25-2023, 7:25 PM
Mom and Dad spent the year following their marriage in Hershey, PA. They still wax on, glossy eyed, about that year! We spent a summer in downtown Cleveland, in the port, in-between Chinese ships. One loading scrap and another unloading steel coil. I am ready for a better view! I love to read about the Wright Brothers and have Dayton on the bucket list as well.

Jerome Stanek
05-26-2023, 6:58 AM
Mom and Dad spent the year following their marriage in Hershey, PA. They still wax on, glossy eyed, about that year! We spent a summer in downtown Cleveland, in the port, in-between Chinese ships. One loading scrap and another unloading steel coil. I am ready for a better view! I love to read about the Wright Brothers and have Dayton on the bucket list as well.

The Neil Armstrong museum is just up the road from Wright

Alan Lightstone
05-26-2023, 8:10 AM
If you have time on your hands, that whole area of Northeast Ohio is home to some of the finest and most beautiful farm country you'll ever see.

Not too far off I71 in the Southwest part of the state is Wright Patterson AFB and the home of the Air Force Museum. It is a magnificent attraction and well worth a visit.

Excuse my Buckeye pride.
I-75 or I-70 actually. Well worth the visit. Truly impressive.

The Armstrong Air and Space Museum is in Wapakoneta, OH, about an hour North on I-75.

My old stomping grounds. Spent a good deal of time at Wright-Pat, and mainly at my hospital teaching the Air Force CRNA residents.

Maurice Mcmurry
05-26-2023, 9:43 AM
One of my clients passes along his Air Force Magazines. It is interesting to see that they have become Air & Space Force magazines. Thinking about Buckeye pride, I enjoyed the article on Captan Eddie Rickenbacker. These are great leads. We will need to plan a more leisurely trip in the near future.