PDA

View Full Version : Solar pathway lighting

Bruce Page
05-21-2023, 8:25 PM
Has anyone found one that lasts more than a year or two?

I’ve tried wallyworld cheapies and pricier ones from Amazon. I don’t mind spending the money, just tired of throwing it away.

Ron Selzer
05-21-2023, 9:05 PM
same issue here also

Tom M King
05-21-2023, 9:35 PM
Ones from Sam's Club have been working faithfully at a rental house for something over a year. We didn't see any for any price that looked like they were better than others, so we just bought some cheap ones. One was broken in a box, and one missing part on another one. Pam called the number and the replacements were here in a couple of days.

Alan Lightstone
05-22-2023, 8:23 AM
I've installed a bunch from Volt Lighting. Brass, somewhat pricey, but have been very good for a couple of years now. Mine are floodlights for the trees, but they sell both kinds.

The Home Depot plastic kind I consider disposable. That has been their history.

Jim Becker
05-22-2023, 9:22 AM
The batteries tend to have "variable" life. But what's also important is to clean the solar panels with reasonable frequency...a reasonable percentage of the time, dirt/grime on the sensors degrades the charging which in turn makes the lighting flaky.

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2023, 9:53 AM
Bruce, I have tried a variety of solar lights and no matter what, they all seem to die off in 3 or 4 years. I replace the original battery with good quality rechargeables and usually pull them and charge them late summer once the temps start cooling off. When the solar panels haze over (usually 3 or 4 years up here), I end up replacing them the following year. So far have not found anything lasting any longer than the el-cheapos.

Tom M King
05-22-2023, 10:10 AM
I checked last night, and all the ones at the rental house are still working. I think there must be 20 of them. These are the ones.

This link won't work, but if you search for these at Sams Club they should come up..

members-mark-5-pc-led-solar-path-lights-bronze/ (https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-mark-5-pc-led-solar-path-lights-bronze/)

Bill Dufour
05-22-2023, 10:11 AM
Make sure it has two or more batteries. When the panel hazes use car rubbing compound or toothpaste to clean it up off a bit. Silicone grease on the battery contacts to reduce corrosion may help. Melts off in summer here.
Bill D

Stan Calow
05-22-2023, 10:29 AM
I have replaced the rechargeable batteries successfully a time or two. Some are AA size and others an odd size that I have found at the hardware store.

Edward Weber
05-22-2023, 10:34 AM
I've had good luck with the Energizer brand of light.
These (https://outdoorsolaroutlet.com/products/new-led-energizer-8-pack-solar-pathway-lights-outdoor-stainless-steel-gunmetal?variant=42489543983336) are the same as mine but not where I bought them from.
Real metal that can be repainted and real glass that doesn't haze.
Energizer batteries last a few years
Out here in CA, the plastic on the solar cell does start to get a little foggy after a few years of sun bake but they're out all the time.

Bruce Page
05-22-2023, 6:50 PM
Thanks Edward, those look pretty good, I just ordered a set from Amazon.

Edward Weber
05-23-2023, 5:47 PM
Just a tip,
No solar light I've ever seen has a decent stake/tube.
Here is my methos.
1/2" rebar (desired length for your soil)
1/2" PVC pipe (cut to height of tube)

I pound in the rebar until I reach the proper height, sleeve with PVC and slide the light over it.
They stay where you put them and remain plumb. (I hate crooked lights)
This might be good for you guys who take things inside during the winter.
This light is at least 6 years old, you can see the paint is starting to fail at the solar cell area. I put a layer of clear UV on them to prolong their life until I can give them a full paint job.

Perry Hilbert Jr
05-26-2023, 4:25 PM
I have one out on a fence post, cheapy from Dollar General that is going on 4 years now. I bought some rather expensive ones at Ace Hardware 3 years ago, round glass with 4 inch diameter black top with about a 2 inch x 2 inch solar cell. It is also much brighter than the others. The cheapy ones from Dollar General are still glowing in the morning, so they last all night.

I turn wide wooden bases in the shape of light houses to be topped with the solar path light to be a patio lamp Some of those lamps throw quite a bit of light.

Lee DeRaud
05-26-2023, 4:42 PM
Out here in CA, the plastic on the solar cell does start to get a little foggy after a few years of sun bake but they're out all the time.
The Harbor Freight sets (I think same as Home Depot sells but cheaper) I've had "die" in a couple of years, not because the solar/battery/bulb fails, but because the housing gets cloudy enough that you can barely tell the bulb is lit.

Tom M King
05-26-2023, 4:51 PM
Not solar, but I put 120v Pagoda lights along the path from the house to the barn when I built them in 1980. I didn't want to bother with a transformer that would probably not last. They have 25 watt incandescent bulbs in them. I may have changed some once in those 43 years but I don't think I ever changed all of them. They don't stay on all night, but are used when anyone walks that way at night.

I'll change the incandescents to LED's whenever one ever burns out, but I don't think they've ever burned much electricity to amount to anything. I don't think the 25 watt bulbs put out much heat, so that probably helps their longevity. Bulbs were probably better made back then too.

https://www.amazon.com/Ark-Lighting-Landscape-ALA-3T06-INCANDESCENT/dp/B004VM9DGK

Bruce Page
05-26-2023, 4:51 PM
The lights that Edward linked to were delivered yesterday & installed. They look like quality pieces and put out a fair amount of light. Time will tell how long they will last.
Fingers crossed

Edward Weber
05-26-2023, 5:18 PM
As some of us mentioned, the only issue is the solar cell getting cloudy after a few years of continuous exposure.
Cheap ones only seem to last a single season.
On the ones I linked to, I was able to use plastic cleaner, the kind for refreshing headlights, to clean up the the clarity a little and they look a bit nicer.

I have a type of wall mounted lights (like these (https://www.lightingdirect.com/bellevue-ccws9772-single-light-8-tall-led-outdoor-wall-sconces-pack-of-2/p3949241?source=gg-gbav2_3949241&inv=1&source=gg-gba-pla_3949241!c17749797314!a139236250935!dc!ng&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds)) that the cell clouded over/failed to work. I was able to find new inserts for them on Amazon. A lot less expensive than the entire light fixture, not to mention the removal and installation.

I hope they work out for you Bruce.

Bruce Page
05-26-2023, 6:31 PM
Thanks Edward. Just from the looks of them I’m sure they will be a big improvement over what I’ve bought before.

I have several of these in the backyard that have been surprisingly reliable for ~3 years now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088ZKX639/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I polish out the solar panels once/twice a year with Novus plastic polish, it makes them look new in just a couple of minutes. At 5700 feet, the New Mexico UV can be brutal on plastics.