PDA

View Full Version : Glue for table top

Tony Wilkins
05-21-2023, 1:49 PM
What glue would you use for making together walnut boards for a dining table top?

I really think I’ve asked this before but couldn’t find the answer. Out of liquid hide glue**, hot hide, and PVA*?

* I have some 4/4 I got from tools for working wood but could get one if the titebonds easily.
** assuming it’s still good in the fridge or freezer.

Jim Koepke
05-21-2023, 2:45 PM
Having not used hide glue my answer is biased by what is close at hand, Titebond III.

My last glue up was yesterday on a maple cutting board. It was made from a salvaged counter top removed from a house built in 1928.

Its laminations appear to have been held together by hide glue. It was re-sawn, plane and sanded. One of the joins came apart a couple days ago. Soaking the cutting boards made from this old counter top have all met similar fates.

A table would likely have spills and also be wiped down with a moist cloth. It would take many years for hide glue to fail. The PVA would likely not suffer the same fate.

jtk

Kent A Bathurst
05-21-2023, 6:44 PM
Just completed walnut nightstand. Jim is correct - T III

Mel Fulks
05-21-2023, 8:01 PM
All the glues are good from Tite bond 2 and ,,,,beyond. Have read some complaints about Tite bond 3 , but don’t believe it was the
products fault . Most glue failures are from bad joints. Hacks will accept some blame about using the glue …but NOT bad fitting joints…
that they made.

chris carter
05-21-2023, 8:03 PM
All my indoor projects are either hot hide glue or Elmers Glue All. If I need a ton of glue, like a lamination, then Glue All. If I’m just doing joinery, or otherwise don’t need a ton of glue, then hot hide glue (adjusting open time with salt based upon how long I’ll need to get things together). I have nothing against liquid hide glue and used to use it all the time. I just haven’t used it in a couple years.

I’m not a fan of TBIII. The open time is too short for complicated glue ups (I’m no speedster) making me rush things, it can leave a dark glue line, it’s very acidic which can cause problems with metal parts that will touch a glue line on a finished product (learned that the hard way). The only time I use it is when I’m making something that will live outside, or will get soaked, or might get crazy hot. Wiping a dining table down with a sponge, or the occasional spilled glass of water, will not undo any kind of glue – it takes a lot more effort than that. Plus, a dining table will typically have some kind of water proof/resistant finish anyway.

BTW - I always do indoor joinery with HHG (or LHG). Things just go together a LOT easier.