PDA

View Full Version : Yard sale?

steven c newman
05-20-2023, 1:06 PM
Spent $15 the last 2 days....and..
This is what I got...?
2 styles of clamps, a pair of chisels, and a folding rule..

C clamp from Cincinnati Tool Co. No.540
ViseGrip Finger clamp....
a 1/4" and a 1-1/2" Chisel ($5 each!)

And..
A $3 Blue Grass Extension Rule, BG 46...to replace the cracked Lufkin X46 I had in the shop.

Not too bad of a day?:confused::confused:

steven c newman
05-20-2023, 1:47 PM
Chisels have been cleaned up....1/4" does have a logo on the land/side of the blade..."Cut Easy"

Wide chisel does have traces of a logo....readable part is at the bottom of the logo....."EXTRA"

David Carroll
05-20-2023, 3:05 PM
Nice haul! I love those zig-zag rules. They're widely used in plumbing. One of my Ex-Fathers-in-Law was a plumber, and I was once helping him with a plumbing job in his house, and I remarked how handy that type of rule is and he rummaged through a drawer and handed me two brand new, still in the package, Lufkin Zig-zag rules. and said, "Here, put this in your box and save the other one for when the first one breaks." Nice guy!

I still have the first one and use it all the time. The other, still in the package, is in one of my tool boxes where I keep fancy wooden rules and such things.

DC

Mel Fulks
05-20-2023, 4:59 PM
Steven , years ago I bought an “ Easy Cutter “ 1/8 inch mortise chisel , and it was the best I’ve ever seen about for staying sharp.
Some narrow chisels dull fast . But I’ve never seen a Cut Easy , I wonder if they are the same and name was changed.

Jack Frederick
05-20-2023, 9:57 PM
In ‘70 when I began my UA apprenticeship I was told to report to work with a 9” torpedo level, Channel locks and a 6’ folding rule. The rule was a Lufkin L46X with a hook and slide. Spend enough time with them and like other things you can do a lot with them. I still use the 46x on occasion but prefer the inside measuring Lufkin today. It kinda created a problem though when on a job calling out measurements to a carpenter and give him a 6ft 22” measurement. You’d hear the perplexed and emphatic, “WHAT?”…;)

Nice haul! I love those zig-zag rules. They're widely used in plumbing. One of my Ex-Fathers-in-Law was a plumber, and I was once helping him with a plumbing job in his house, and I remarked how handy that type of rule is and he rummaged through a drawer and handed me two brand new, still in the package, Lufkin Zig-zag rules. and said, "Here, put this in your box and save the other one for when the first one breaks." Nice guy!

I still have the first one and use it all the time. The other, still in the package, is in one of my tool boxes where I keep fancy wooden rules and such things.

DC

David Carroll
05-21-2023, 7:47 AM
In ‘70 when I began my UA apprenticeship I was told to report to work with a 9” torpedo level, Channel locks and a 6’ folding rule. The rule was a Lufkin L46X with a hook and slide. Spend enough time with them and like other things you can do a lot with them. I still use the 46x on occasion but prefer the inside measuring Lufkin today. It kinda created a problem though when on a job calling out measurements to a carpenter and give him a 6ft 22” measurement. You’d hear the perplexed and emphatic, “WHAT?”…;)

I worked carpentry for several summers during school, mostly as a helper. One day a new guy, also a helper, but who claimed to have a lot of experience, came up to me and pulled out his tape and quietly asked me to show him where 3/8ths was on the scale. I did, but he didn't last long.

DC

steven c newman
05-21-2023, 3:51 PM
I did see a Metric version of that folding rule...passed.

Metal tool box....with 6 Millers Falls Brace drills inside.....including the No. 1950 Buck Rogers....just like the one I have in my shop.

Only saw ONE hand plane all day....wood Coffin Smoother...full of cracks, btw.

I did see a Stanley No. 4-1/2...but, at $65 + tax...for a plane I already have and use? I have a #4-1/2c, Type 11 in the shop...

steven c newman
05-26-2023, 1:10 PM
Another day, another sale....today's trip cost me $3....mainly for a set of Irwin screwdrivers..
Always liked those handles...these are a size I don't have in the shop..longest one is..6-1/2" long, counting the handle...these MIGHT come in handy?

other item was a FREE hand saw...
8ppi, 26" long blade...WS medallion..
3 bolt handle...straight back blade....Might be an IMP?
Will have to do a bit of research...

Dad used to get a "bag" of those style chisels..about every other Christmas.....as he wore out most of the last set...

Andrew Pitonyak
05-26-2023, 10:00 PM
Nice, keep posting what you find.

steven c newman
05-29-2023, 11:12 AM
Well, Andrew..this come home the other day...
Price tag said $20....4hp, 2200 psi Pressure washer...

Jack Dover
05-29-2023, 7:03 PM
Also, in masonry. And most of the zig-zag rules on the marked these days aren't woodworker's rulers, they're too thick and too heavy. The brand that gets closest to what a good zig-zag ruler is Hultafors, but the scales aren't right. Today I'd do a lot for a proper zig-zag from my grandfather's box: a steel zig-zag ruler with etched and blackened scales on polished steel, both sides scales were mirrored — one scale would have a zero on the left, another had a zero on the right, modern zig-zags have only one scale. It was probably just a quarter in width of a modern one, about that in terms of weight, it was tight so it stayed in any position (to be used as a proportional divider for ex.), but had a very smooth action and would lock once fully locked. It had a shorter segment length, so it would fit in an apron pocket nicely. For the life of me I don't remember the brand.

Another less known fact is that a woodworker zig-zag is supposed to have certain proportions that would allow laying out some common measurements (I remember 1/2", 1" and 4", but there were more) without even opening a ruler. Most modern zig-zag rules allow only one: use the first segment as a fence and mark against the butt of a ruler, but you have to remember what size it results in. Remembering some basic triangular proportions allow laying out some common angles, e.g. a 3-4-5 triangle gives 30˚, 60˚ and 90˚, etc.

So it's really a shame we can't get nice things these days.

Jack Dover
05-29-2023, 7:07 PM
The screwdrivers look like Grace USA, a gunsmith tools purveyor. If that's Grace - it makes the whole lot worth it.

Why would you pick the saws up though? I've already counted like a dozen and a half in your photos, are you still looking for "the right one"?

steven c newman
05-29-2023, 7:13 PM
I do have a Mason's Zig-zag ruler....by Lufkin....May dig it back out, and take a couple photos...

Appears that Lufkin made the ruler for Blue Grass....as it matches exactly like the X46...even the ruler's markings line up perfectly.

Screwdrivers match the Irwins I have...

As for the saw...how can one turn down...FREE?

Be back with a couple photos..I hope..Nope, must be out in the shed, with the rest of the Mason's tools....stored in a 5 gal. bucket.

I did find a Lufkin No. 066.....it IS a tad smaller than the X46 or the BG46...both go out to 7"...the 066..6-3/4"...The Blue Grass has Blue ends..the Lufkins have red ends.

Jim Koepke
05-30-2023, 1:07 AM
Remembering some basic triangular proportions allow laying out some common angles, e.g. a 3-4-5 triangle gives 30˚, 60˚ and 90˚, etc.

Actually a 3-4-5 triangle is good for making a right angle. The other two corners will not be 30° & 60°.

From a quick search:

This didn't occur to me until recently from reading Euclid's Door, and interesting read on how to make accurate angled tools.

jtk

Jack Dover
05-30-2023, 7:51 AM
Yes, I stand corrected, the 30˚- 60˚- 90˚ has 1 — √3 — 2 sides. The √3 side isn't a problem (even though we could mark a line exactly √3 long) , because my ruler locks at 90˚, so just need a short leg and a hypothenuse, which are even numbers. There also other triangles to get 30˚ and 60˚ too

Jim Koepke
05-30-2023, 1:56 PM
Yes, I stand corrected, the 30˚- 60˚- 90˚ has 1 — √3 — 2 sides. The √3 side isn't a problem (even though we could mark a line exactly √3 long) , because my ruler locks at 90˚, so just need a short leg and a hypothenuse, which are even numbers. There also other triangles to get 30˚ and 60˚ too

A 30º - 60º - 90º triangle is easy to construct with a compass or dividers.

A zig zag rule would likely be good at making a 45º - 45º - 90º triangle.

jtk

Jack Dover
05-30-2023, 2:23 PM
Of course. I'll tell you this: if that's a nice furniture piece - I'd whip out a protractor and probably set a couple of bevel gauges. Zig-zag laying up angles works for projects where a joint will open anyway - outdoors carpentry projects, etc.

But then I'd use compasses for really large pieces, like if I'd need to cut a 4x8' plywood into hexagons or gotta square it real good. Because calipers are precise and I just go grab trammel points with an arbitrarily long bar, but I can't get a protractor that big. Also referencing becomes a problem quickly. And in general my preference is constructive geometry for bits that matter - dividing into equal parts, perpendiculars, dovetails, etc.

steven c newman
06-02-2023, 8:00 PM
OK, Yard Sale today...spent a whopping $15...
First Fiver got me these...second fiver..
Set of Star bits...and the third fiver?
More than just a bag?
Yep...Charger? Already plugged in an outlet...awaiting a call...

Not too bad of a day?

Chuck Hill
06-02-2023, 10:01 PM
Your worst day at this is better than my best day!

Jim Koepke
06-03-2023, 1:07 PM
Your worst day at this is better than my best day!

My worst days are coming home empty handed.

jtk

steven c newman
06-03-2023, 1:41 PM
Day 2: And TWO village wide sales to pilfer....

Photos later...but..
Turned down 6 hand planes...most incomplete...handles cracked...cheapest was $15????? Pass...

Craftsman 7-1/4" Sawmill Circular saw....$5...

3/4" Ratchet, extension, and an 8" inside caliper....$9
20" Panel saw..sharp, too...$1
12" Backsaw...$1...just because it needed rescued....as someone had painted it..GRRRRRR..
Pair of size 12 work boots ( to replace the blown out pair I have)....$1

Passed on another backsaw....someone wasn't very good at sharpening....imagine "Cow & Calf" teeth, without the calf....passed..
Figured I can Retire the old 6" circular saw...as it is getting hard to find new blades that will fit.

Have quite a few 3/4" drive sockets, and a Breaker bar....now I have a ratchet, and a 12" extension...

Not too bad of a day...

steven c newman
06-04-2023, 11:42 AM
Al-righty....cleaned up a few items...
Outside calipers...MITUTOYO...black spring has "JAPAN" stamped into it..
8" inside calipers....Keen Kutter logo
1/2" chisel...SAMSON is stamp on the top of the blade, has been Unicorned sharp, and ready for work..

12" Combo Square....one set of numbers is marked in 32nds...no logos on the blade...scriber has a brass head. Seems to be a larger version of my 6" Swanson...

12" Extension...3/4" drive.....HERBRAND H-31..Made in USA...
3/4" drive Ratchet....No. 5649 PROTO....

Glue-up is also sitting out of the clamps...needs cleaned up..set aside, so I can start on the box it will go with. Cataract Surgery, Left Eye..is scheduled for 1 sept 2023....right eye will be a month later..need to get the box done, before then.

Stew Denton
06-04-2023, 3:48 PM
Steven,

+1 on what Chuck wrote: "Your worst day at this is better than my best day!"

Stew

Stew Denton
06-04-2023, 3:56 PM
Steven,

You aren't alone in your thinking, painting a saw was a trend a ton of years ago, but I think that hopefully the trend is passed, never to return. What a horrible thing to happen to a saw. Beyond that, I wouldn't be surprised that someone has painted a mint Desston #12.....what an abomination.

Stew

Andrew Pitonyak
06-05-2023, 10:02 AM
Steven,

+1 on what Chuck wrote: "Your worst day at this is better than my best day!"

I can agree with that!

steven c newman
06-05-2023, 6:58 PM
Photos? Have a few..some are ugly, though..
$5 for a 12" backsaw..Painted ( will try to get it past the Boss, and get rid of the paint..
$1 No Paint, 20" saw...just a bit of clean up, as it IS sharp..
$5 Circular Saw...and..I already have 2 new blades for it...
Keen Kutter 8" Inside Calipers....part of the $9 deal..the other 2 items in that deal..
Proto 3/4 " drive ratchet...and a WW2 era Herbrand 3/4" drive, 16" extension..Both cleaned up nicely..

Not too bad of a day? For a Saturday..

steven c newman
06-14-2023, 1:04 PM
Same weekend as my Cataract Surgery ( Sept 1st) is also the weekend of the West Liberty Tractor Fest....where I do a LOT of my Rust Hunting...The 1st is on a Friday...maybe feel well enough by Sunday to go and look around? Found a 12" Jackson Backsaw there, last year...

We'll see how things go...

Tom Vanzant
06-16-2023, 12:28 PM
Worst! My wife found a very nice Disston D-23 and had the cashier hold it while she kept shopping. It was for her husband, me. A few minutes later, a guy showed up to pay for the saw his wife had on hold. Poof … gone.

steven c newman
06-16-2023, 2:20 PM
Yard Sale tomorrow...supposed to have a few tools....and all I have in my pocket? $5.......Grrrrr...may have to wear the "Pirate Hat"?

My nickname is Bandit....and if you ever follow me around these sales...you'll soon understand why....

steven c newman
06-17-2023, 1:29 PM
Spent $9 today...
$4 for...
DeWalt DW 625...needs a collet( have one) needs new knobs
Can adapt these for it..what else can you tell me about this router...

Spent $5 on..
An old tool bag...
The 2 Craftsman wrenches inside were more than that, new...

Both items are quite heavy...tool bag has an inside pocket, too....

Not too bad of a morning?

steven c newman
06-18-2023, 10:10 AM
New knobs have been fitted to the router. Need to get a 1/2" collet for it. Edge guide fits..will get a couple thumbscrews to fix it in place.

"Travel Bag" will need to sit outside and "Air out!" for a while...smells of old canvas and oil spills....still doing an Inventory of all the stuff inside the bag...