PDA

View Full Version : shop tool advice (long)

Clyde Hunter
01-30-2006, 7:48 PM
First of all, thank you for the warm greeting from my first post a week ago.

After a lon hiatus, I am once again entering the wold of hobby woodworking. Raising 2 kids and running businesses has taken its toll on my extracurricular activites for the last 15 years.

My short-term goals are framing and wiring my basement workshop; build an assy table (5'x9'); build long table for MS with drawers, storage; setup shop and tools. My first projects will be shop cabinets; router table and begin design for built-in entertainment center for 56" DLP with drawers for DVD/CD, etc. Also built-ins for walk-in closets.

Partial list of existing tools:
Craftsman RAS, 10", 2.5hp; 22 y/o
Craftsman router, .75hp; 15 y/o
Hitachi MS, 12" with laser, 1 y/o
DeWalt compressor, 1 y/o
Hitachi, framing and 15ga, nailers; 1 y/o
PC, 18ga brad nailer, 1 m/o
Various corded/cordless tools, bits, etc.

As my initial projects will be 3/4" birch ply with oak, poplar, pine face-frames, my immediate tool list is:
Table Saw (dilemma)
Festool, TS55 with additional 106" guide fence
Kreg, K3 Master Kit
PC 557, plate joiner
Router?

I think my preference for TS is a sound used unit that can be used and refurbished if needed. I once refurbished old wooden boats and enjoyed the accomplishment, so the idea of an upgradeable TS is OK. This is not my final decision which is where I need your help and comments. I have been watching classifieds but so far not found a viable candidate close enough to pickup (i.e. 250-300 miles from b'ham, al)

My second unknown is a router. Because of $$ required for other tools, a Festool is not an option. PC and DeWalt seem to be good possibilities? Any help or direction you can provide will be much appreciated. Have really enjoyed this forum and look forward to your valued input.

Marcus Ward
01-30-2006, 9:17 PM
I just picked up a porter cable 690RLVS from amazon for 150 or so. I definitely like it, the soft start is good and the price is all right. For table saws I have a Grizzly 1023SL, and I love it. The cuts are so smooth, adjustments and use are so choice. I highly recommend picking one up if you have the means. ;)

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 9:30 PM
The PC 890 series or Dwalt DW618 series "kits" with multiple bases are excellent values for routers and will give you a lot of versatility. (I have the Dewalt and all three bases)

I think your idea of locating a pre-owned table saw is a good one and also think that the guided saw for working with the sheet goods is an excellent choice, too. At some point, you'll want to add a jointer and thickness planer to your arsinal to round out your ability to work with solid stock and also reduce your material costs by buying rough lumber, rather than surfaced stock. (Which may or may not really be all the same thickness)

lou sansone
01-31-2006, 5:52 AM
table saws are pretty simple items and they abound on the used market. as long as you are not intimidated by ripping them apart to clean and repair if needed you are on the right track. I would offer this comment on the sears radial arm saw in humility. They are the main reason that most folks think that radial arm saws are junky. if you can locate a good older dewalt or rockwell turret saw, you will find a world of difference in the square cut ability of the tool.

lou

Tom Drake
01-31-2006, 6:35 AM
I prefer either the Dewalt 618 serues kit with multiple bases or the Bosch 1617EVSPK kit. A used table saw is an excellent idea. Just take your time to find the right saw for your needs.

Anthony Anderson
01-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Clyde,
I have the DeWalt 618 series with three bases. Very nice router, plunge action is smooth and consistent throughout the plunge. Easy tranfer of the motor among bases.

You will love the K3 and you will definitely use it on the first project, the face frames will go very quickly. The PC557 is a nice tool too, but would be last on the list if your shop funds are limited, IMO, but worth purchasing in the future.

The guided sytem is a good choice too. I don't have the Festool, but the one I have works great for me. After using a guided system I cannot believe I actually broke down plywood on a tablesaw.

As for a tablesaw, the Craftsman 22124 cabinet saw is on Craftsman Club sale right now for $854. This is the one with the Biesemeyer fence. This saw gets pretty good reviews from the users on this and other forums, and the magazines that have reviewed it. If you consider you will spend about $300 on a Bies fence if you upgrade a used saw, that brings the 22124 saw cost to ~$550. For a saw with those features, I think that it is hard to beat the price. And you don't have to mess around with waiting and/or trying to find a "good" used saw, as your time is valuable (wife, kids, shop). Instead you have a good saw that is accurate and easily adjustable, with an accurate fence, table board, cabinet mounted trunnions, outfeed table etc. Just buy a good tablesaw to start with, you will not regret it. If I could only buy three "major" tools to start a shop (knowing what I know now) it would be 1) a good tablesaw 2) guided saw system 3)top notch jointer. The others can come as you can afford them. HTH, Regards, Bill

Peter Gavin
01-31-2006, 12:26 PM
Although you seem ready to jump in to the electron world with both feet, you might want to slow down and think about your long term goals and desires and maybe figure out if some hand tools would be a better starting point. Right now, with the festool, guide rails and router you could probably dimension all your (already surfaced) stock for the shop cabinets quite easily. But have you considered what you are going to make then? Are you interested in knocking out large casework quickly and uniformly? Or are you more into woodworking as a way to build finely detailed obviously hand crafted pieces where your own skill and work shine through. In any event, hand tools are usually necessary for the final adjusting, fitting and finishing of power made furnituere so you'll have to consider purchasing them anyway. So, save some money for some hand planes, chisels, measuring guages etc. If you buy them first, maybe you'll find out that they are all you really need.

Peter

Clyde Hunter
01-31-2006, 11:01 PM
I appreciate the input. I guess the main concern of asking for help/advice is that your views might require me to totally re-think my semi-plotted course:) So far that is not the case, which I can give much credit to research already done at this great site.

I was leaning in the direction of DeWalt for the router due to the package including three bases. I own several DeWalt tools and have been happy with performance. The PC 557 plate joiner will be used primarily for attaching face-frames to boxes....probably more for fun more than anything else......

Fine furniture is something that I look forward to but probably a few years in the future. I own hand planes and chisels but certainly need some upgrades. I do need to purchase better gauges, etc for saw adjustment and look to your help in this area. I have always used framing and combination squares for this but will need better accuracy. Also would like to know exactly what you use to measure "dips" in a saw table and some references to sites for purchasing the best instruments.

Thanks again for your help gentlemen.