PDA

View Full Version : Passing the torch

Steve Ash
01-30-2006, 7:14 PM
As I get older I appreciate the things I am able to do with my son's and watching them grow up and become fine young men. My oldest Steve Jr. (25) is building a new home, and it has been fun working with him on that.

But recently he has taken on another of his dad's interests...making furniture. He has made a rocking chair for his boss's daughter and now he is making a four post bed for his new home.

My dad and grandad were also woodworkers (and farmers) and I'm sure they were excited to see me take after them, same as I am, watching my son.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1478.jpg

Steve Ash
01-30-2006, 7:28 PM
another http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1477.jpg

Lou Morrissette
01-30-2006, 7:33 PM
Steve,

It sure is a great feeling to watch your son apply some of the skills you taught him as a kid. I'm having a ball helping my son restore a 200 tear old NH farm house and it makes me proud to see the fine craftsman he's become. I guess it's one of the perks of being a woodworker.

Lou

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2006, 8:09 PM
That is great Steve. There is no better feeling in the world than having your son work side by side with you. To me there is no greater feeling.

John Miliunas
01-30-2006, 8:15 PM
You're a lucky guy, Steve. I'm surrounded by girls, none of whom have any real interest in WW. Ahhh, but then there's grandkids! :D Well, so far, that ain't gonna' work either, as that also happens to be a "she"! :rolleyes: Oh well...Maybe some day! :) Hey, in the meantime, looks like you got your picture "spots" under control! :D :cool:

John Bailey
01-30-2006, 8:22 PM
John M.,

can't wait till some of the gals get on your case about girls not wanting to be woodworkers.

Steve,

You gonna' invite your son to the lunch on the 25th. He's more than welcome.

John

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 8:35 PM
John M.,

can't wait till some of the gals get on your case about girls not wanting to be woodworkers.
That gave me a chuckle, too... ;-) Not only do I have two local female friends who are woodworkers (one a turner; one a furniture maker), I seem to be growing my own at this point.
-------

Steve, that's really nice that your son is finding some pleasure in woodworking. It's a great pasttime and certainly a nice way to fill up that new house of his with custom furniture over time.

John Miliunas
01-30-2006, 8:42 PM
John M.,

John

LOL! Oh no-o-o-o-o-o! Don't want any of the fine ladies here to get all over my case! :eek: No, the point was clearly that none of MY female daughters or otherwise are into WW! Sure, they like it when I make them something but, have no real interest in pursuing it themselves. Which is fine, too. I mean heck, LOML is in to all kinds of artsy/craftsy stuff, that I'd never be able to do, nor have a real interest in doing, either. :) :cool:

john mclane
01-30-2006, 9:15 PM
It is great to see the kids taking up these activities. My older son built a complicated wooden drum and is now doing chip carvings on it. My younger (still in college) is taking up making skim boards with foam cores and fiberglass vacumn forming. I believe one the best ways to keep an interesting life is to be as diverse as possible.

Steve Ash
01-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Hey, in the meantime, looks like you got your picture "spots" under control!

Looks like you may have been right John...about the spot thing that is. As far as women woodworkers, I've seen some dandy stuff by members of the fair sex.

Thanks guys for the very nice compliments, hopefully he will get the woodworking "bug".

Gary Herrmann
01-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Pretty cool, Steve. Maybe in another 20 years I'll be watching something similar. For now, my 5 yr old son just likes to hammer nails into a chunk of wood and then rip them out again.

I don't even get that nervous watching him any more. I think he's learned the hand position lesson...

Mark Singer
01-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Steve, thats great ...Ryan and I have a great time in the shop and he is a great helper with terrific ideas

Dennis Peacock
01-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Most excellent Steve!!!!! I too hope that my kids will take on some interest in woodworking as they often times see what "daddy" brings in from the shop to put in their rooms or in the house in general. Even my daughter has spoken of an interest in learning about woodworking. Maybe I'll teach my kids this summer on the basics of woodworking.

Congrats and may you be blessed with many hours of working with your son in the shop.

John A. Williams
01-30-2006, 11:25 PM
That's so cool Steve! I have a 9 year old and he likes to help sometimes to, but his patience run out fairly quick.
John

Andy Hoyt
01-31-2006, 1:00 AM
Nice, Steve. That's gotta feel good.

..... MY female daughters or otherwise ....

Now, John. What about your other daughters?

Jeff Sudmeier
01-31-2006, 8:47 AM
Steve that is great! My grandfather was a woodworker for awhile but I never really worked with him, I wish that I could have. My father is a great carpenter and all around handy man. However, when it comes to the details, I take over :)

Hank Knight
01-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Great post, Steve. I got my introduction to woodworking from my Dad when I was about 6 or 7. I've enjoyed it ever since. My daughter is an artist in D.C. and has always enjoyed "craft," in various forms, including woodworking. I spent many hours in the workshop with her over the Christmas Holidays working on several projects, one of which was a commission for one of her clients. It was wonderful time together. Sharing a hobby with your kids is one of the great delights of life.

Jim Hager
01-31-2006, 1:36 PM
I too have had the pleasure of watching my son move up from hammering nails into scrap wood to a pretty darn good woodworker. If he gets his own shop in the future he will definately out do his old man.

Brent is 24 and has 3 rent houses and his own home and has done remodeling on all of them and built his furniture for his own house. Every new girlfriend that comes along gets another one of his blanket chests, each one being more advanced than the other ones. He has done coffee table and end tables, entertainment center, bedroom furniture (one whale of a big headboard) dining table ........... and has completely replaced all the molding in his house.

Makes the ole man proud to see him work like that and take pride in what he does.

Contratulations Steve for raising the next generation of Ashes and getting him started on his way. Farming and woodworking make a good pair.