PDA

View Full Version : Spalted and food safe?

Thomas Wilson80
05-11-2023, 9:32 PM
11” poplar bowl with some patchy, faint black and red spalting (I think it is spalting….the wood was a bit punky). sanded but no finish yet.

I told my kids they could keep whatever they earn at a local farmers market selling some of my stuff and I was curious if spalted wood is food safe or if it should be solely used for decoration.

C&C welcome.

Thanks, Tom

Richard Coers
05-12-2023, 12:38 PM
If it has any zone lines, they will activate if they get damp for a period of time. Your finish will dictate how safe the fungus will remain. if you seal that below a film finish or just have put on a thin coat of organic oil.

Bill Howatt
05-12-2023, 6:30 PM
If you dry the wood and seal it up, it is safe. Doesn't matter, if you tell most people it is food safe and the spalting is caused by a fungus they won't want it anyway. You'll probably see them brushing the imaginary spores off as they run away. :)

Reed Gray
05-13-2023, 11:11 AM
Look up Dr. Seri Robinson, aka Dr. Spalt. She says that all the fungi that cause spalting are designed/evolved to eat wood, not people. Some of the other fungi out in the woods or the barn yard can be hazardous though.

robo hippy

Thomas Wilson80
05-13-2023, 5:54 PM
Thanks for all the info. What does “seal” mean? I typically finish with either Danish oil or Mahoneys. Would sanding sealer + multiple coats of Danish oil be considered “sealed”?
Tom

David Walser
05-14-2023, 11:43 AM
A couple (or more) coats of your walnut oil will 'seal' the wood once the finish has cured.

Reed Gray
05-14-2023, 12:49 PM
One thing I learned from Seri was that when wood reaches a certain dryness level, and I can't remember what that was, the spalting process stops. I don't know for sure if the spores can be reactivated or not. Sealing the wood is not necessary for getting the spalting to stop.

robo hippy