PDA

View Full Version : Handling wood

Bob Johnson2
01-30-2006, 4:53 PM
Not sure if this would be considered "off topic", but for lack of knowing here's where it is.
Every winter when I hunker down in the shop my hands dry out to the point where the tips of my fingers split. This year I've spent much more time then in the past woodworking and I'm to the point where I can hardly use either thumb and 1 of my fingers. I can't be the only one that runs into this so has anyone come up with a viable fix? I'm concerned about layering up hand lotion then handling wood. My wife is telling me to vaseline them and use bandaids?

Jeff Sudmeier
01-30-2006, 4:58 PM
Using hand lotion religously when you come in from the shop and before you go to sleep will help prevent them.

I almost always wear gloves when handling rough lumber...

Vaughn McMillan
01-30-2006, 5:04 PM
Same dog bit me. My cuticles get so dry they crack and bleed if left on their own. I don't have a good working solution, but I tend to put Neosporin on the cracked parts, then bandage them up overnight and during the day at the office. I've also started being more consistent about wearing rubber gloves when using finishes or solvents. (Too many days spent trying to get CA and sawdust off my fingers.)

Back when my job involved handling a lot of fresh concrete (and my hands were always badly cracked), I used both Cornhuskers Lotion and Udder Balm to try to keep the cracking and chapping at a minimum.

HTH -

- Vaughn

Glenn Clabo
01-30-2006, 5:08 PM
Personally...I like olive oil. It's been what us Clab"OHs" have used since the old country days. My Grandmother used to spend all day cooking and cleaning...then a little dab of good olive oil was like magic.

Ed Breen
01-30-2006, 5:26 PM
Bob,
I use a preparation called "AEROFLEX MAGIC GLOVES" it's primarily used by screen printers. Its an aerosol thick foam that you spray on your hand and then work into both hands, cuticles and nails. Have used it for several years and my paws have not dropped off nor shown any bad effects.
Manufactured by Aeroflex, 1002 Industrial Park Drive P.O. Box 3190 in Marietta, Ga 30061.
404 428 2684.
At one time I also used pure lanolin for after use which comes in a small jar at the pharmacy, but it is thick stuff and calls for hard rubbing to work it in to your hands.
Ed:p

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 5:52 PM
In addition to the above, many folks have problems with washing hands in the winter...lotion may be manditory in these cases. Be sure you use something compatible with your woodworking, however...something non-greasy.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-30-2006, 9:15 PM
Had the problem of Cracking Cudicles and skin on hands in winter. Started using Shey Butter several years ago and it has really helped me. Doesn't take a lot to help the situation. I know this is not scientific, so take it for what it's worth.

Bruce

John Miliunas
01-30-2006, 9:37 PM
OK, so you guys are going to think I'm crazy but, what else is new? :rolleyes: When not busy in the shop, I try to keep some skin moisturizer on but, as mentioned, I just don't trust the stuff when I'm handling wood for fear of leaving residue. Hence, those splits and such still do happen. To protect the cracks and splits, I apply a thin layer of medium CA glue and hit it with the accelerator! :eek: Yes, it burns for just a moment but, it really helps to protect the area, doesn't leave residue on my work and lastly, believe it or not, I'm convinced that the wounded area heals faster with the added protection! :) Hey, if the rumors are true, CA was originally developed for closing up wounds in the first place! Naw, my shelf stock has probably not been clinically tested, but it works for me! :D :cool:

John Hart
01-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Yup...I'm with John M. I have a bottle of Skin Shield. It's basically CA mixed with some kind of anesthetic so it burns for about 3 or 4 seconds and then nothing. Holds everything together and gives a good protective coating. Feels kinda funky though....Your sense of touch is hindered a bit.

Jesse Merino
01-30-2006, 11:13 PM
When my feet became cracked, to the point of wanting to bleed and paining me really bad, my wife, being a Country Gal from West Virginia told me to vasleline them up, and wear a sock to bed, and then my feet will be better in the morning... IT WORKED! Feet were soft and cracking was almost gone...and the pain was gone.... So, I did it for two days and it was healed almost completely....

So, when I had problems with my hands, I put the old vaseline trick to work, slathered it on both hands and wore gloves on them to bed... Never had problems again, that it couldnt handle....Jesse

Andy Hoyt
01-31-2006, 12:01 AM
Up here we call it "ravinitis". The deeper the ravines the more painful it gets. Used to think it was cool and manly. No more. Ouch! Bag Balm works wonders.

Bob Johnson2
01-31-2006, 8:27 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the ideas, I've actually got some of the products mentioned but haven't tried them, even the superglue. Going to have to stock up on fingertip bandaids to keep the various goops on at night(neosporin at the moment). Going to try out Johns idea today and see how it is to work with the glue on, sounds like the only thing that won't get al over everything.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-31-2006, 8:49 AM
OK, so you guys are going to think I'm crazy but, what else is new? :rolleyes: When not busy in the shop, I try to keep some skin moisturizer on but, as mentioned, I just don't trust the stuff when I'm handling wood for fear of leaving residue. Hence, those splits and such still do happen. To protect the cracks and splits, I apply a thin layer of medium CA glue and hit it with the accelerator! :eek: Yes, it burns for just a moment but, it really helps to protect the area, doesn't leave residue on my work and lastly, believe it or not, I'm convinced that the wounded area heals faster with the added protection! :) Hey, if the rumors are true, CA was originally developed for closing up wounds in the first place! Naw, my shelf stock has probably not been clinically tested, but it works for me! :D :cool:

Ohh yes I have used this trick more than once on a nasty wound. It protects them very well. Burns like the dickens for a second or so, but man do they heal fast and they don't hurt much after the original application.

Gary Herrmann
01-31-2006, 10:05 AM
I bought a tub of the hand lotion from Duluth Trading last order. I like it because it doesn't feel so greasy - don't always remember after shop time at night, but I do try to do it every morning. Definitely helps.

Somehow the tub keeps migrating to other parts of the house. Usually in the vicinity of where my wife was at some time during the evening. Hmm...

Frank Chaffee
01-31-2006, 1:41 PM
Bob,
Soak it in cider.
Frank

Chris Fite
01-31-2006, 3:39 PM
Not only do I contend with keeping my hands clean so I can work with wood, but I also have to deal with washing my hands many times a day at work. The dry cracking skin has been a problem for many years. At one time or another, I have tried almost everything available on the market. I find that Lubriderm is great. It is not greasy, any excess washes off easily with soap and water, it soaks into the skin readily, and comes in a formulation that is free from fragrance. It will keep the skin pliable and help prevent cracking of the skin. It is available from many grocery stores.

Wes Bischel
01-31-2006, 3:43 PM
I have the same problem with the fingers splitting. Use the CA when it cracks, and a band-aid at night with Vicks on it. Next morning the area is soft and doesn't crack further.

Also, drink more water! Our skin is drying out because of the dry environment. It is important to rehydrate more often when the humidity is low - just ask our friends in the southwest.

Just my nickles worth,
Wes