PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Byron Trantham
07-22-2003, 8:59 PM
I have been using shellac for about 9 months. I love the stuff. I have only used a brush todate. I would like to use my HVLP conversion gun but for the life of me I can't figure out how to clean the gun and therefore, I've not used the gun. My gun is stainless steel with a teflon lined cup - pressure feed.

For my brushes, I clean them with alcohol. I read on one of the other forums that they don't try to clean it completely. They shape the bristles and let it dry. Then they soak in alcohol before use. I have been doing this with great success but this can'' be done with a gun.

Jim Becker
07-22-2003, 9:46 PM
I believe that you would clean the gun the same way you clean the brush...with alcohol. But you are more thorough as you don't want to leave any shellac in the gun to "gum up the works" for other finishes. Spraying a couple of cycles of alcohol through the gun should be your final steps. You can keep the "final" fluid for future cleaning, too. Just keep it separate container so you don't use it to mix fresh finish.

I also keep different cups for different finishes. But I'm very anal, too...

Todd Burch
07-22-2003, 10:27 PM
I spray shellac a lot. Just use alcohol to clean it. No big thang.

Wendell Wilkerson
07-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Ammonia is also a solvent for shellac. When I've wiped on shellac, I use ammonia to clean up everything since it is cheaper than alcohol.

Wendell

Byron Trantham
07-23-2003, 8:07 PM
Ammonia is also a solvent for shellac. When I've wiped on shellac, I use ammonia to clean up everything since it is cheaper than alcohol.

Wendell

I didn't know that. My wife just told me she has a bunch of the stuff. I am going to try it on some brushes tomorrwo and see how it works. You're right about the cost, alcohol is expensive.

Jim Becker
07-24-2003, 9:47 AM
I didn't know that. My wife just told me she has a bunch of the stuff. I am going to try it on some brushes tomorrwo and see how it works. You're right about the cost, alcohol is expensive.

Be sure to use good ventilation if you go the ammonia route...it's nasty on the nose and in higher concentrations, quite dangerous. I buy my alcohol at the 'Depot by the gallon and don't find it all that expensive, personally...

Phil Phelps
07-24-2003, 10:32 AM
Your solvent is ok but the HVLP is harder to clean. With a siphon gun I spray the solvent and back flush. Conversion gun has all kinds of nooks and cranies. I disassemble the head and soak in lacquer thinner. Use a stiff brush for the underside and body. Pipe cleaners for the rest. I use many types of material and they are harder to clean than shellac, but the HVLP still requires more attention. I prefer lacquer thinner to clean most solvents. And brushes? Few clean them like I do. Mine last a long time.