PDA

View Full Version : Restoring antique and making mouldings with hollows and rounds

Malcolm Schweizer
05-09-2023, 2:14 PM
Good day all:

Where, oh where is Malcolm these days? Well, I’ve been around, just couldn’t post much because I was doing restorations for someone who forbade me to post any work online because a lot of the pieces were in private collections and sometimes those folks don’t want their stuff shared.

I am now back in my own shop and have been restoring a massive built-in mirror for a historic home. This project required me to replicate mouldings using hollows and rounds. Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/QafiJQUDKYA

I also am having to do a lot of hand carving on these capitals- gluing in repairs and carving to match. One photo is mid-stream, the other is after carving and I’m now blending colors. (Two different capitals in different stages.)
501032 501033

Here is the moulding I am replicating and the replica completed and ready for stain:

501034 501035

Here is the piece. There are columns that mount on the pedestals. The smaller mirrors go left and right of the larger one.

Mel Fulks
05-09-2023, 4:48 PM
Good Stuff ! Enjoyed it. Also seeing you on YOU TUBE ! Did Ya have to any Re- Takes ?

Malcolm Schweizer
05-09-2023, 5:54 PM
Good Stuff ! Enjoyed it. Also seeing you on YOU TUBE ! Did Ya have to any Re- Takes ?

This one came out right on the first try!

Mike Allen1010
05-15-2023, 12:55 AM
Great to hear from you! Very interesting work – thanks for posting. Cheers, Mike.

Jim Koepke
05-15-2023, 12:32 PM
Interesting stuff.

jtk

Maurice Mcmurry
05-15-2023, 8:07 PM
Neat-O! That's inspiring. I suspect I would be reaching for power tools way too soon.

Mike Allen1010
05-17-2023, 8:10 PM
Neat-O! That's inspiring. I suspect I would be reaching for power tools way too soon.

Maurice , as someone who’s lived in three countries and 10 different cities in the US, including St. Louis, have to say, I love your tagline! Hysterical!��. St. Louis, great baseball town-love their Cardinals-respect!

Maurice Mcmurry
05-17-2023, 8:22 PM
St. Louis has so much great old architectural wood work. The piece you are working on would fit right in a big, grand old house in St. Louis.