PDA

View Full Version : I think this stuff does grow on trees...

Cameron Wood
05-08-2023, 11:12 PM
or maybe reproduces when you're not looking.

Sort & restack. This is maybe 20%

Fir, redwood, pine, poplar, western cedar, incense cedar, Alaskan cedar, teak, mahogany, luan, red oak, white oak, black oak, cherry, western maple, hard maple, chinquapin, madrone, Ipe, walnut, & misc..

Jim Becker
05-09-2023, 9:49 AM
IMHO, this is actually a worthy exercise to do every once in awhile as we tend to forget what we actually have and over time, things also tend to get disorganized. That makes finding "that piece you need" harder. There are a lot of projects just waiting in that material!!

Mark Gibney
05-09-2023, 10:18 AM
Living up to your name there Cameron!
I imagine a fair number of us have similar stocks of many different woods. I made a computer file of what I have. I can browse the file and I'll remember there's something at the back corner that might work for a project. But as Jim says too we all need to get into the weeds at least once a year a reorganize.

That said, it amazed me the number of times I'll go through what I have and not find something suited to the project at hand, and so it's off to the lumber yard, and the leftovers get added to the ever-growing stock of future possibility.

George Yetka
05-09-2023, 11:02 AM
I dont have nearly the stock you do. I like to let my stock be my guide in projects. 2x2 stock usually goes to cutting boards. 8/4 Shorts go to CNC trays this keeps my small stuff down to 1 large drawer. With that I have about 1000 bf on hand

Anthony Whitesell
05-09-2023, 12:15 PM
If you think that is a lot, then I suggest you do not invest in a sawmill. All those free logs turn into a whole lot of free lumber. I have two stacks of stickered (and treated) hardwood 4' x 10' x 8', and eight stacks of EWP all 4' wide, 8-10-12-or 16 feet long and 4-8' tall. I just took down two 100-120' tall white pines that I am working on milling to add to the stacks.

Edward Weber
05-09-2023, 12:22 PM
IMHO, this is actually a worthy exercise to do every once in awhile as we tend to forget what we actually have and over time, things also tend to get disorganized. That makes finding "that piece you need" harder. There are a lot of projects just waiting in that material!!

I couldn't agree more, I'm in the process right now

Cameron Wood
05-09-2023, 12:24 PM
Here's more of it, showing most but there is also a lot of plywood, pressure treated, and form boards.

Largest- 6"x12"x 14', 2"x16" planks, various of 20' stock. Smallest- a set of pieces 1"x1 3/4"x1/4"

Cameron Wood
05-09-2023, 12:33 PM
If you think that is a lot, then I suggest you do not invest in a sawmill. All those free logs turn into a whole lot of free lumber. I have two stacks of stickered (and treated) hardwood 4' x 10' x 8', and eight stacks of EWP all 4' wide, 8-10-12-or 16 feet long and 4-8' tall. I just took down two 100-120' tall white pines that I am working on milling to add to the stacks.

I would probably be there if I had more room, but operating in a compact, semi urban area. It's painful to see a lot of nice trees bucked up and dumped.

Brian Tymchak
05-09-2023, 1:57 PM
or maybe reproduces when you're not looking.

At current prices I'd love it if my hardwoods got a little intimate. :D

I would probably be there if I had more room, but operating in a compact, semi urban area. It's painful to see a lot of nice trees bucked up and dumped.

If you need to store some Mahagony at my place, we can work that out. Can't guarantee it'll be here when you want it though...

John TenEyck
05-09-2023, 3:01 PM

They make sawmills with electric motors!

Even w/o adding that to your habit, I'd say you qualify as wood hoarder. I have a similar problem and was just thinking the other day that I need to do something about the mess in my shop. But, like Garfield, I decided not to.

John

Cameron Wood
05-09-2023, 11:32 PM
They make sawmills with electric motors!

Even w/o adding that to your habit, I'd say you qualify as wood hoarder. I have a similar problem and was just thinking the other day that I need to do something about the mess in my shop. But, like Garfield, I decided not to.

John

True. Some of it has come (for free) recently from three different hoarding situations, no four actually. It's turning into a micro-lumber yard, as I've been selling lots of mostly construction lumber. Folks like to reuse, and of course save a buck. I've just started a small-ish remodel project that will use up quite a bit of wood. I can hardly remember the last time I actually bought wood- it just seems to show up, but I also have quite a bit that I bought decades ago and have carted around.

Dave Zellers
05-10-2023, 12:21 AM
...was just thinking the other day that I need to do something about the mess in my shop. But, like Garfield, I decided not to.

John

OK. I'm going to solve your problem.

Stop thinking of it as a mess, and begin to enjoy it's natural beauty.

It's easy if you try.

Aaron Rosenthal
05-10-2023, 10:05 AM
I’m another one who has more than I needed. It’s so bad, I couldn’t even cull the offcuts.
Tuesday I fired up my smoker. That got rid of a bunch. The trouble is I’ve still got a swack of recycled oak, and the wife wants me to build my next project from Cherry, or Walnut, or ANYTHING except oak.
But I have a new bandsaw on the boil, so I’m going to make a bunch of cutting boards from maple.
I need to get rid of my excess before I sell the house or die.

Tom Bender
05-18-2023, 5:40 AM
Thanks Cameron, yours makes mine look manageable. It would all fit in a pickup truck....might hang out the back a little