PDA

View Full Version : EGO lawn tools.

Dave Lehnert
05-07-2023, 9:20 PM
Considering going gas free. My gas blower and weed trimmer are about 12 years old so starting to think about new.

Weed trimmer and blower. Not a mower. WAY TOO MUCH grass to cut for that.

Considering EGO for one reason. Their battery blower has a gutter cleaning attachment. I have gutter toppers and need to blow them off at times. I use a gas powered Husqvarna now for that.

For EGO owners, What is the life span for the batteries? Not how long a charge last (that would be helpful too) but the life as in 3 years or 5 years before needing replaced.

Larry Frank
05-08-2023, 7:28 AM
I have the Ego blower and chainsaw and happy with both. One reason I bought them was I am getting older and yanking on the starter cord was not easy. Also, never any trouble starting. The blower is good but not quite as good as my Stihl gas powered. But, it is good enough for my uses.

I am going to buy an EGO string trimmer this summer.

Alan Lightstone
05-08-2023, 8:55 AM
My batteries are going strong after 4+ years. I have them for the chainsaw, weed trimmer, and blower. The chainsaw certainly isn't the equivalent of a strong gas one, but it does the trick for cutting through palm fronds that have fallen so that the garbage men will pick them up.

Mike Null
05-08-2023, 9:14 AM
My edger and string trimmer are working very well after 4 years. They are not really tested as I have a postage sized yard but I am impressed with the quality enough that I will buy an EGO mower if my Honda ever dies.

Jim Becker
05-08-2023, 9:20 AM
Not an owner, but Kyle from RR Buildings has one of their ZTRs and really likes it. Seems to work well. Having multiple things that can use the same battery system is certainly a plus, although that's not unique to EGO. I will eventually be considering this move myself. My SCAG ZTR is way more machine than is needed here at our new property (as of two years ago) and if I wasn't cutting the lot next door for a neighbor who owns it, I may have already made the move. But the SCAG is paid for and I'll continue to use it at least until the lot is someone else's to cut.

Malcolm McLeod
05-08-2023, 9:58 AM
For EGO owners, What is the life span for the batteries? Not how long a charge last (that would be helpful too) but the life as in 3 years or 5 years before needing replaced.

I did a similar 'evolution dance' with yard tools: 2stoke > 4 stroke (all = pull-start to exhaustion) > 18volt > 56volt EGO. Now have several EGO tools and chargers, acquired piece-meal (mostly EGO's BORG-era), and zero complaints. I finish a task in less time than simply starting a 2-stroke. The only battery issue I had was self-induced: I was hanging in a tree with the chain saw in a bind and over-heated the battery (ruined it). The terrible awful price of stupid!

I currently have 3 other batteries; oldest 4Ahr is ~6yrs (...maybe 7??) and has ~1/3 the endurance of my other, slightly newer 4Ahr. SWAG that older one will get another season or 2 on it, then trash/recycle. The 'good' 4Ahr battery will run the blower on continuous MAX for ~20min. I have 1x 7.5 Ahr battery, that will handle all trim and blower tasks on a typical 0.25ac Saturday session on a single charge. If I use the 4Ahr batteries, a Saturday will typically drain both. I can exhaust all 3 in 1-1.5hrs with the chain saw, including log handling time, but rapid charger keeps me working well past this.

Charge time depends on both the charger and battery: for a 4Ahr battery, the honkin' combat rapid version is 18-20 minutes to get back to work (7.5Ahr = ~30min?); the civilian charger included with typical tool takes ~1hr. (Never put a stop watch on them, so YMMV.) I try to use the slow charger when time/task allows, on the theory that it creates less heat :: longer life.

Only downside I've found is cost. The batteries have doubled in price since my initial purchase. (...EV fad >>> lithium prices??) Currently, $400 for the 7.5Ahr battery alone makes a Stihl gas chainsaw seem pretty reasonable.

Last I looked the BLU BORG offers up to 10Ahr batteries, and there is a commercial battery back-pack (capacity?) ... in case you feel the need.

Jack Frederick
05-08-2023, 10:19 AM
Not sure what battery tools you have but if Milwaukee, check out the M12 blower. I’ve had it for a few years now and it is excellent. It is what I used on the roof and gutter toppers. I was wither on a 8’ ladder or on the roof however.

Tom M King
05-08-2023, 11:42 AM
My Wife bought the mid-sized Ego blower, and I've been most impressed with it. I can't tell you how long the battery life is because it's only about a year old. I intend to get their biggest, strongest one next Fall.

Jeff Clode
05-08-2023, 2:45 PM
1/2 acre lot ( including home ). All in grass except the driveway. Takes me roughly an hour to mow with walk behind EGO mower. (I push it for exercise and rarely use self drive feature). Usually have 1-2 “bars” (of 5) left on the 10 Ahr battery when I finish.
The same battery lets me finish snow blowing the 3 car driveway as long as I get to it by 4-5 inch accumulation and the snow isn’t too wet and slushy.
Haven’t exhausted the 2.5 Ahr battery yet using it in string trimmer or the blower - both more than adequate for my needs.
A satisfied customer but not looking forward to cost of replacing the battery. I got the 10 Ahr packaged with the mower and replacement I think is currently about $500.
I can’t speak to battery lifespan as my units are a bit over 1 year old
Jeff

ChrisA Edwards
05-09-2023, 12:22 AM
Ditto to what everyone else had said, I have the EGO walk behind mower, their largest blower, multi purpose tool with tiller, polesaw and metal edger, plus their chainsaw and weed string trimmer.

All have been brilliant.

Mel Fulks
05-09-2023, 9:51 AM
Chris, “walk behind mower” ? That means accepting SECOND place ! I would reconfigure !

Brian Elfert
05-09-2023, 12:00 PM
I have three EGO batteries that are five or six years old and still going strong. I had one battery fail prematurely, but I got all of my EGO stuff, including batteries, from a place that was selling Home Depot returns so the battery could have been abused before I got it.

ChrisA Edwards
05-09-2023, 1:10 PM
Chris, “walk behind mower” ? That means accepting SECOND place ! I would reconfigure !
Don't understand this comment.....

It's a push mower, although the wheels can be driven, used for places where my ride on is too wide.

Mel Fulks
05-09-2023, 1:21 PM
Motor cycle race allusion….. that failed . Maybe I can do a re-write.

ChrisA Edwards
05-09-2023, 10:19 PM
Now I'm with you.

Kris Cook
05-10-2023, 12:08 PM
Starting our third summer with string trimmer and fourth with push mower. Battery life seems to be about the same as when new. Try to keep the batteries on the charger year-round or at least top them up a few times over the winter.

Got the non-driven push mower as it is light and my wife can "cut in" edges and around bushes. Much easier than the heavy gas powered self-propelled unit we gave away. Rest of the lawn gets cut with the John Deere.

Lee DeRaud
05-10-2023, 12:28 PM
Can't help with the EGO tools, as I went with an "in-between" option, the GreenWorks 40V.

But every time I see an ad for "EGO Power", I wonder how Elon Musk let that trademark get away. :)

Doug Colombo
05-10-2023, 9:33 PM
Can't help with the EGO tools, as I went with an "in-between" option, the GreenWorks

Same here. I went with the 60volt GreenWorks - have a mower (like Kris we use it as a trim mower), a snow blower (for sidewalks), and just got a cultivator for the wife’s garden. Before I got the mower (first tool) I bought a M18 String Trimmer and also love it. Deere does all the heavy cutting etc but I have been very pleased with the GreenWork’s system.

Jerome Stanek
05-12-2023, 9:10 AM
I got a Kolbalt 80 volt from lowes on clearance 3 years ago. The only draw back is it is selfpropled and when you come to a corner or end you have to push it to release the drive wheels. I see many electric mowers are the same. I am so used to our old lawn boys that when you released the drive handle you could pull it back.

Bill Dufour
05-12-2023, 10:32 AM
My Robyi 40V lawn mower release the handle and the drive stops moving. It does take a second or two to stop pulling when released.
Bill D

Jason Roehl
05-13-2023, 8:25 AM
I’m all-in on the GreenWorks 40V system—started with the blower/vac (the only one at the time that had a vac; I wanted that for a specific reason), mower, pole saw, trimmer, snowblower, cultivator. I used to push-mow my yard in about 20 minutes with a gas mower, now it’s closer to 30, and only if the grass is long and I take too much off does it use more than one battery. The blower and snowblower seem to really drain the batteries the quickest.

Bill Dufour
05-13-2023, 10:20 AM
The roybi 40V vac will not pick up liquid amber balls. Bought it and returned it the next day.
Bill D

Frederick Skelly
05-13-2023, 5:42 PM
The roybi 40V vac will not pick up liquid amber balls. Bought it and returned it the next day.
Bill D

So ummm, what's a liquid amber ball?

Lee DeRaud
05-13-2023, 8:39 PM
So ummm, what's a liquid amber ball?
Seed pod from a sweetgum tree. Picture a COVID virus about the size of a golf ball.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidambar

Lawrence Duckworth
05-13-2023, 9:14 PM
Considering going gas free. My gas blower and weed trimmer are about 12 years old so starting to think about new.

Weed trimmer and blower. Not a mower. WAY TOO MUCH grass to cut for that.

Considering EGO for one reason. Their battery blower has a gutter cleaning attachment. I have gutter toppers and need to blow them off at times. I use a gas powered Husqvarna now for that.

EGO batteries have a lifespan of about 3-5 years, depending on how often they are used and how well they are cared for. The batteries will lose some of their capacity over time, but they should still be able to provide enough power for most tasks after 5 years.
Here are some tips for extending the life of your EGO batteries:
* Store the batteries in a cool, dry place.
* Do not fully discharge the batteries.
* Do not leave the batteries in a hot car.
* Do not use the batteries if they are damaged.
* Inspect the batteries regularly for signs of damage.
If you follow these tips, your EGO batteries should last for many years.
Here are some additional details about EGO batteries:
* The batteries are made with lithium-ion technology, which is the most advanced type of battery available.
* The batteries are designed to be lightweight and easy to use.
* The batteries come with a 3-year warranty.
If you are considering going gas-free, EGO is a great option. The batteries are reliable and long-lasting, and the tools are powerful and easy to use. :D

Frederick Skelly
05-14-2023, 9:19 AM
Seed pod from a sweetgum tree. Picture a COVID virus about the size of a golf ball.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidambar

Thanks Lee. I had no idea.
Fred