PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Performax 22-44 Pro

Ray Bahr
05-07-2023, 11:07 AM
Hi All,

I am considering the purchase of a Performax 22-44 Pro. Asking price is $2K, which would include shipping from CA.

The Performax is an older machine. Would it make sense to buy a new Jet/Grizzley/??? instead of this?

Thanks

Ray

Brian Tymchak
05-07-2023, 11:16 AM
If you are considering a new sander, you might want to look into the Supermax brand. I've read many good comments about it here on the Creek.

andy bessette
05-07-2023, 11:40 AM
Hi All,

I am considering the purchase of a Performax 22-44 Pro. Asking price is $2K, which would include shipping from CA.

The Performax is an older machine. Would it make sense to buy a new Jet/Grizzley/??? instead of this?...

$2k is about 3-4 times its used value. Now made by Jet (?) Grizzly a laughable substitute.

I've had trouble with getting replacement feed belts. And with feeding on aftermarket belts. A wide-belt sander it isn't.

Ray Bahr
05-07-2023, 4:30 PM
Hi Andy,

This is pre Jet acquisition. What do you mean by "A wide-belt sander it isn't."?

Thanks

Ray

andy bessette
05-07-2023, 9:09 PM
Hi Andy,

This is pre Jet acquisition. What do you mean by "A wide-belt sander it isn't."?...

Mine is also pre-Jet.

It is an extremely poor substitute for a wide-belt sander.

Rob Sack
05-07-2023, 10:32 PM
I would pass at half the price. I bought that exact machine new directly from Performax. From day one, I never could produce a panel that was truly flat. It was always thicker near the open end and panels over 22 inches wide run through in both directions produce a noticeable crown in the middle. Performax even sent out a tech to adjust the machine and his results were the same as mine. They ultimately bought back the machine and I ended up getting a well used Woodmaster single head with a 38 inch capacity. That machine performed flawlessly for over 20 years without ever having to adjust anything. However, to increase my productivity, I ultimately acquired a 37 inch single head wide belt sander. The Woodmaster was slower than a wide belt, and changing paper on the Woodmaster was more involved than a wide belt, but for the money, and if time time is not an issue, it's a great value and the results can't be beat.

Ray Bahr
05-08-2023, 10:05 PM
Hi All,

I did some back and forth on this, and decided that the price was more than I wanted. I have pretty much decided on the SuperMax 19-38 Drum Sander.

Thanks for the feedback

Ray

Jim Becker
05-09-2023, 9:51 AM
Ray, I picked up a 19-38 a few years ago (used but pristine) and it's a good machine. I owned a 22-44 years ago and never used it, but it was certainly not bad. My needs changed and that welcomed the 19-38 into my shop.