PDA

View Full Version : buying a used band saw - two options - 14" v 12" what would you choose

Cory filder
05-06-2023, 12:53 AM
Hello,
I am buying a used bandsaw this weekend. I was originally considering 9 inch a few months ago but that ain't happening. this community helped me decide it is appreciated.

It turns out that there are two different options that are available locally.

The first one is a 14 inch Delta/Rockwell clone ( King Canada) that is about 40 years old ( non-hinged). My understanding is it is 1/2 hp. I have not seen the condition yet, but I don't expect it to be in excellent condition. No bandsaw fence. it is $200.
the second one is a 12 inch Delta 28–190. this saw was recently replaced tires and bearingsIt has a fence. The seller is selling due to the lack of Resaw ability (About 6 inches). This is also 1/2 hp. It is $100

when I saw the two advertisements, I immediately gravitated towards the 14 inch. But know knowing that the motors are about the same and I don't plan on replacing them anytime soon. I'm wondering if I should just get the 12 inch, just because it's easier to move around. I will not be doing any re-sawing so I don't care about the extra 14 inch height or an eventual riser block. I also like the fact that I probably won't have to do any work for the 12 inch

The thing that also puzzles me, is that the 12 inch Delta seemed to originally price for $500 and its used value seems to be quite a bit lessWhich puzzles me. why do you think that is?. When I saw both prices I considered both of them a price of a " song"

which would you choose? give another both half horsepower, I'm assuming that the cutting capabilities would be the same ( with a good blade). is this the case?

Lee Schierer
05-06-2023, 7:25 AM
I would go for a 14" over a 12" because the distance between the blade and the arm is 2" greater which is something you will need more than resaw height. You can always add a fence, which I did on my 14' Delta. Also on those occasions when you do need to do a vertical cut the extra height will be useful. My 14" is mounted on a mobile base and it moves fairly easy when needed. Both saws are going to take up space.

Check the guide movement for ease of adjustment. Check the tilt and guide parts for cracks as that seems to be a weak point on the lower end saws. Replacing tires isn't hard no costly.

Ron Citerone
05-06-2023, 7:30 AM
I would ask the seller why the huge price drop. We can speculate all we want, but only the seller can speak to that question.
I see lots of stuff both woodworking and fishing related with prices lowered after not selling, $500 to $100 begs the question why.

Larry Frank
05-06-2023, 8:44 AM
I would go with the 14" saw. With a bit of work would be great deal

Cory filder
05-06-2023, 9:39 AM
What about having a 1/2 hp motor? what I have similar performance on both? should I upgrade this eventually anyway? I definitely will ask why he is selling. But the method is always asking person, you are more likely to get the truth

Cory filder
05-06-2023, 3:54 PM
I checked out the 14" saw and am about to pull the trigger except for one question.

After removing the saw blade, I wanted to see how both wheels spun. The top one seems to have the bearing spinning extremely well. No noises. Although I think the previous owner stuck some grease in there ( I could see it in the side of the bearing ring seal.) I'm not entirely sure what to make of that. one thing I noticed is that they seem to never clean the wood dust.

My biggest concern is the bottom wheel seems to be harder to turn. I can maybe spin the wheel once with a light to medium force. Is this normal due to the V-belt friction on the two pulleys?

Lee Schierer
05-06-2023, 5:20 PM
Yes, with the belt engaged the lower wheel will be harder to turn. It will pretty much stop as soon as the turning force is removed when turned by hand

Cory filder
05-06-2023, 8:30 PM
Good to know about the lower wheel. The tires are bit cracked but not too much. the material itself is not coming apart.....Would you replace it? Also do all urethane tires make that high-pitched squeal? where is a good place to get a replacement tire of quality?

also this bandsaw lacks a fence. Is this a dealbreaker for you? I'm afraid to find out how much a replacement cost (I don't know which retailer would be the best).

Bruce Wrenn
05-06-2023, 9:32 PM
Check out "Blue Max" band saw tires. I own three Delta 14" band saws, and none came with a fence. Simply clamp a piece of wood to the table as a fence. The high pitched squeal could be either belt slippage, or bearing failure. Bearings for this saw are relatively inexpensive.

Lee Schierer
05-07-2023, 8:28 AM
Good to know about the lower wheel. The tires are bit cracked but not too much. the material itself is not coming apart.....Would you replace it? Also do all urethane tires make that high-pitched squeal? where is a good place to get a replacement tire of quality?

also this bandsaw lacks a fence. Is this a dealbreaker for you? I'm afraid to find out how much a replacement cost (I don't know which retailer would be the best).

Cracks are a warning of impending failure. I recently replaced the tires on my 14" Delta band saw from Sulphur Grove (https://sgtool.com/product/ubst-14-1-125/) for about $40. My urethane tires are silent.