PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use an ecogate system on DC

Ralph Barhorst
01-30-2006, 2:05 PM
I saw this system on the DIYnet over the weekend. It has sensors that know when a machine is turned on (either vibration or current flow). The system then opens a blast gate for that machine and turns on the DC. It also turns off the DC when the machine is turned off. Cost is around $400. The standard system has four blast gates but it can accomodate up to eight blast gates.

Just wondering if someone has one and what they think of it?

http://www.ecogate.com/

john tomljenovic
01-30-2006, 2:14 PM
I actually just got this thing last week. I am putting it together w/ my new ducting currently(that is, when my fittings arrive). I guess this means I have to put a review together?

although I first assumed it would be a fairly simple elctro-magnetic device. but no, it is full of integrated circuits and logic controllers. kinda hi-tech.

stay tuned....

David Duke
01-30-2006, 3:19 PM
I have had the system for over 4 years and highly recommend it, although the initial cost is high I went with it because knowing how lazy I am and needing to just make this one cut and why bother with the DC...:rolleyes: ..if it comes on automatically its gonna be used :D . One thing to keep in mind however is the cost of gates, while the 4" aren't bad if you need a 5" or heaven forbid 6" (IIRC around 300.00 ea.:eek: ) don't say I didn't warn you.

Once set up I haven't had a bit of problem, on one tool when setting up I had problems with the sensor calling for the DC without the machine being on......the problem........didn't have the machine grounded to the duct.

John Bush
01-30-2006, 3:20 PM
Hi Ralph,
I added this system to my DC last fall and so far I really like it. I built an attached shed (5'x7') to my shop to house my cyclone so I could leave it running as I milled out whatever I was doing. It's still a bit noisy but much better than being in the shop. I found that even with the DC on I still didn't bend over to open the gates for a quick pass on the jointer or cut on the TS or BS. The gates on the belt sanders and the planer are on top within easy reach so lazyness isn't a factor. After installing the Ecogates I don't break stride from machine to machine. The motion sensors are mounted on the motors and activate the gate when you turn on the machine and close the gate when you turn it off. You can vary the speed/time of opening and delay the closing time to clear the pipes if you wish. I have the Ecogate system wired independant of the DC but plan to reconfigure so the DC will turn on and the gate will open when I turn on the WW machine. I can then program the DC to stay on an additional 5 min intervals up to 25 min. I could be wrong on the total time but IIRC that is close.
I have contacted the tech support for simple ??? and their techies are very helpful and have great suggestions on set-up. They do big time commercial/industrial systems so it was nice to hear their enthusiasm for a hobbiest user like me.

Initially I thought the cost to value was way off but now I would recommend this system to anyone that makes a lot of dust. You don't even have to use lazyness as an excuse.!!

The only problem I have had was not mentally gauging how much sawdust production I had done. I finally checked on the DC and the barrel had filled, the filter had filled, and the fine dust bag had blown out and the DC shed had 2'' ft of dust filling up the floor. What a mess. I'm better at remembering now!

Ralph, This is definitely a luxury item, but well worth it for me. Good luck, John.

Go Seahawks!!!

john tomljenovic
01-30-2006, 7:45 PM
I should add that you don't need to outfit the whole shop with eco-gates. I am only doing the spots that are not convenient to reach (overhead guard anyone?) with some of the easy to reach ones one the wall being manual. this helps keep costs down.

I still plan on having the manual gates trip the DC on. via the overide circuit provided on the greenbox. anybody have any experience doing that? would those JDS dustgates work and are they available in 5" sizes? I already devised a setup using the existing gate and micro-switches. but if anyone has any better ideas.....

crossing me fingers

Rob Will
01-30-2006, 8:49 PM
Well, somebody has to tell a tale of caution. I recently visited a very high-tech 3-man cabinet shop. The owner had set up several machines with these automatic gates. After a while, none were working and the owner said he would never buy another. EVERYTHING in this shop was digital and quite new. Altendorf slider, 4 spindle shaper, CNC router etc.

Rob

Jeffrey Makiel
01-30-2006, 9:07 PM
I have automatic dampers on my system that are homemade. However, I choose to use a separate switch to activate them because I can keep them continuously open when I'm cycling a machine on and off frequently. I have a home shop and my damper system became a pet project.

When I was first designing and installing the system, I considered wiring them into the machines. I'm glad I didn't. I'm not sure how the dampers would have held up to that many cycles. Since the system also activates the dust collector, that too would be over cycled.
-Jeff

Bill Lewis
01-31-2006, 5:59 AM
would those JDS dustgates work and are they available in 5" sizes? I already devised a setup using the existing gate and micro-switches. but if anyone has any better ideas.....crossing me fingersJohn, I too have wondered if the JDS system has 5" gates, but there's nothing on their website about any other size. www.jdstools.com (http://www.jdstools.com)

It looks like the system uses a switch at a gate, so it may be possible to modify an existing gate to work with the system. After all the brains are in the power switch. It is such a low cost system that I've considered buying the basic kit just to mess with it a bit, maybe come up with a way to make a 5" gate work with it.

Right now I'm using an X10 remote/wireless receiver and a 240V, X10 appliance switch on a Oneida 2 hp unit with no problems. It's a good system, so much so that I'm not sure that opening and closing gates would be any better. I think this is the advantage to the Ecogate system. You don't have to do anything but turn on the machine.

Brad Knabel
01-31-2006, 9:43 AM
Woodwork magazine has had a series of articles regarding automatic blast gates over the past few months. This month contains an article showing how to build a blast gate that automatically turns on the DC when the blast gate is opened.

The previous articles had wiring diagrams and instructions for building something more in line with the ecogate system. The author seems knowledgable and has been having a running conversation with several readers in the letters section of the magazine regarding modifications and discussing theory. There are part lists and sources for all of the electronics.

I don't get enough time in the shop to build stuff like this. But it certainly seems doable if you've got the time to put into it.

I'm at work right now and don't have access to the magazines. But I can get the issue numbers for you if you are interested after I get home this evening.

Ralph Barhorst
01-31-2006, 10:04 AM
But I can get the issue numbers for you if you are interested after I get home this evening.

Brad - I would appreciate knowing the issue numbers. Thanks for offering.

Ralph<!-- / message -->

Brad Knabel
02-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Ralph -

The Woodwork issues are:

98 (April 2006) Blast Gate Switches for your Dust Collector
94 (August 2005) Dust Colletion for Hand Power Tools
91 (February 2005) Automate your Dust Collection System

Issue 91 is the one that contains the system similar to ecogate. Although now that I've looked at it the one thing it doesn't do is open blast gates automatically.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
02-01-2006, 4:29 PM
I've had their system for several years and yes it is an expensive system. I liked the idea of the DC comming on whenever the tool is turned on, every cut every time. I had hom made a system where the DC came on whenever any blastgate was opened and it worked very well. I was lured in by the gadgetry I guess.

I have two of the green boxes as in my new shop I outgrew the 8 gate limit. The boxes are linked with one being the master and the other being the slave. I did have a little problem with the time delay shutoff feature. Sometimes it just wouldn't shutoff. I think it had something to do with the two boxes daisy chained. I set the delay to zero and have had no trouble since. I probably cycle the DC a little more now but at least it doesn't hang in the on position. I have some other ideas to pursure to overcome that but I've not had the time.

Good system for the blast gate lazy people like me!

Mac