PDA

View Full Version : Euro(ish) Pantry Cabinet

James Jayko
05-03-2023, 11:02 AM
Hey All, I'm going to build a pantry cabinet for the kitchen. I've got the LR32 Festool system which I've used, but not extensively. I'm a competent home gamer, but I'm not extremely well versed in the Euro cabinet specifics.

So...I'm planning to make a base cabinet and a top cabinet with dominos (unglued) connecting the two for eventual portability. When I measure these out, the length of the sides of both the top and bottom cabinets need to be 32mm * x, correct? I'd like to be able to use the Festool rail without too much finagling, so I assume that means I need my 32MM * x to be less than 1400MM total? EG the length of my top (larger) cabinet can be no more than about 50". Am I thinking about that right?

Dave Sabo
05-03-2023, 2:58 PM
If you're going to make tall cabinets with the LR32 , then you'll need a 2nd 1400mm "holy' rail -or- the 2400mm version.

You're going to need a 2nd rail (or longer one) anyway to breakdown sheetgoods to make cabinets in the first place.

James Jayko
05-03-2023, 3:54 PM
I've got a table saw so I'm going to be breaking stuff down that way.

I'm planning to make two stacked cabinets, so I'm trying to figure out the dimensions of the upper to maximize the benefits of the 32mm system / LR32...

Dave Sabo
05-03-2023, 8:36 PM
I don't know off the top of my head, but it's close to 48".

Put your LR32 stops on the last positions at either end and measure between them - that'll be the absolute max .

James Jayko
05-04-2023, 7:57 AM
The standard offset from the ends is 9.5mm, 37mm in from front and back, correct?

Dave Sabo
05-04-2023, 9:22 AM
The standard offset from the ends is 9.5mm, 37mm in from front and back, correct?

kinda, sorta, not really.

37mm from the front is pretty much the standard across all formats, manufacturers and techniques. It's the distance all hinge and slide manufacturers use for the mounting hole(s).

9.5mm from the ends is what the knockdown furniture industry uses - it puts the connector pins in the center of a 19mm (3/4") panel. But...........it's worthless if they use 16mm panels. Furthermore, Festool and their followers won't show you how to setup or calculate the panel sizes with 9.5mm so there'll be no cheat sheets to read or watch. It also makes your panel lengths not a multiple of 32 - which isn't the end of the world, just makes it harder to double check your work as you go.