PDA

View Full Version : Laser targeted phone solicitors

Joe Pelonio
01-30-2006, 12:55 PM
I didn't expect this one. Some guy from some company that apparently supplies industrial gasses but knows nothing about lasers called and said
he was doing a survey of laser owners. Then he asked things like what brand, size, wattage, and how many. Then he wanted to know what kinds of gasses I used for assist or cooling. When I told him air he asked where I got it. Hmm, from the earth's atmosphere?? Actually I was too polite and told him a small compressor. I suggest if they call you just hang up because he wasted a lot of my time, even called back to see how to spell Epilog.

Nick Adams
02-02-2006, 7:00 PM
I recieved a similar call around last monday/tuesday. I of course did what I always do and forward it to my SO. She acts as my sec. she called me on the other line and told me what he wanted ... I told her to tell him I was available and to put him on hold for me.

He went along with it, poor guy, I cant resist my SO's voice either. I left him there for nearly 20 minutes before getting to him, at which time he had gotten fairly short with me as if he was in a hurry. So I continued to bother him for another 10 minutes....

I then had another call and had to tell him that I was sorry that he had wasted his time as we have no use at all for bottled gases and that we will most likely never need any.

He found it less then funny. But for 10 minutes of my time, he was going to pay with 30 of his own.

Keith Outten
02-02-2006, 7:35 PM
Joe,

I wonder if the laser manfacturers are selling their customer lists to make some extra money. As much as the machines cost you would think they wouldn't have too :(

I guess it could be material suppliers also.

Ken Garlock
02-02-2006, 8:00 PM
Gents, if you have signed up for the federal "do not call" list, and they are not the people from whom you bought your equipment, the right thing to do is to report the call. As I understand the "dont call' law, only charities and people/companies with which you have had business have authorization to call you.

Joe Pelonio
02-03-2006, 8:45 AM
Gents, if you have signed up for the federal "do not call" list, and they are not the people from whom you bought your equipment, the right thing to do is to report the call. As I understand the "dont call' law, only charities and people/companies with which you have had business have authorization to call you.
The "do not call" list applies only to home phones. Unfortunately. I get 4-5 telephone solicitations every day at the shop. Most are equipment lease funding offers, also a lot for windshield repairs. I even had a couple of them wanting to sell me a new roof. Since I'm on the bottom of a two story building I tell them I don't have a roof and hang up.

Keith, when you think about it they could only have gotten the information about laser owners from either our websites by a search or from our laser manufacturer or a supplier of laserables, I'm guessing the latter. It's not likely they would do their own search, easier to buy a list.

On the subject of telephone solicitors, I have several customers that have lost a lot of business when the "do not call" list came out. I try to be sympathtic when they whine but secretly gloat because to me there was nothing worse than those annoying calls during dinner. Anyway, what they are doing now that you should watch out for are two things:

1. Set up a display (that's where I came in) in stores where they offer a "shopping spree" or other prize. By filling out the prize entry form you are
giving them permission to call to sell you windows, siding or whatever.

2. The "do not call" list does not apply to surveys. This one is a little shaky legaly, but some people are starting to do it and test the law. You get a call from some company taking a survey on something like your travel habits. After 3-4 general questions they will ask you if they can send you a longer written survey by mail. When you mail that in you are
considered to be giving them permission to solicit you with vacation offers, probably in the really fine print on the survey.

Mike Mackenzie
02-03-2006, 1:38 PM
To All,

First off these sealed laser tubes have very specialized filling stations to replace the gases. They also have a very special mix and amounts of gases to create the different wattages.

I very highly doubt that the laser tube Mfgs are selling off customer lists. If something is not done to spec they (the MFG) will still be liable the tubes will still have there name on them.

Don't be fooled into someone being able to just take your laser tube and fill it up with gases.

This is not something that everyone can do and you would be much better off when it is needed to go directly to the Mfg.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-03-2006, 3:22 PM
heheeh I read the title of this thread and thought you guys were using your lasers to get back at the phone solicitors!!

Anyway, carry on.

Ken Garlock
02-03-2006, 4:45 PM
Joe, I didn't know that businesses were not included in the no call list.
But not being in a business, it was not a consideration for me.:) You have my sympathy....

Joe Pelonio
02-03-2006, 5:29 PM
heheeh I read the title of this thread and thought you guys were using your lasers to get back at the phone solicitors!!

Anyway, carry on.

Oh, I guess I could have worded it better. That does make for an interesting idea though.