PDA

View Full Version : Duplex Plane and bullnose Madness

Eric Brown
04-30-2023, 4:54 PM
Continuing with my madness series, here are my duplex planes.

First two are both Stanley 78's. The one in front is an early type in process of being cleaned. Note it has a low right side with the blade supports extending above. Also, there is no blade adjuster like on later models. This one has had the nose broke off and a knob put onto the front blade position Behind it is a newer 78 with the right side even with the top of the blade supports. It also has a blade adjuster on the rear position. On both these planes the rod for the fence is threaded 1/4-28 on the end. The blade screws that go into the body are 10-27 as are the depth stop screws. The depth stops will work on either model. Has a three-point spur on right side.

This next group consists of a Union 43 and Craftsman (Sargent made). The Union is virtually a copy of the early Stanley with all the same screw sizes. Depth stop and fence are also interchangeable. The Craftsman #3738 is only marked on the blade. The plane was made by Sargent. It is more like the modern Stanley except the dept stop screw is a 10-24 and it has a different spur that is disc shaped with six spurs. Because of it's size it extends into the groove that aligns the depth stop. This requires the depth stop to be different from the Stanleys. A Stanley will work if modified. The metal handle on the end is a good idea but the way this was made very uncomfortable to hold. There is no blade adjuster.

Finally we have a Millers-Falls #85 and a Record #778. The M-F has been polished, nickel plated, painted and an auxiliary handle installed. While it looks like the later Stanley, it uses different screws. The fence rod is threaded 1/4-20. The blade screws that go into the body are 9/32-24 and are the same as used on normal plane lever caps. The depth adjuster uses 10-32 and the depth stop itself has a different groove spacing. The Record has a two-rod fence and the fence itself is drilled to accept an auxiliary fence The blade has a screw adjuster for depth which requires a special blade. It also has an auxiliary handle in the front blade position.

My preference would be for the Record 778 because of the better fence and blade adjustment. However, the Millers-Falls has a tighter mouth which may help at times.

Jim Koepke
05-01-2023, 11:42 PM
The blade screws that go into the body are 10-27 as are the depth stop screws.

Could that be a typo? I know Stanley used screws with 10-28. There isn't a #78 in my shop to check.

A front hold on my #778 makes it more comfortable to use:

The depth stop has also been altered. A piece of adhesive backed abrasive paper was attached to it to keep it from sliding.

jtk

Eric Brown
05-02-2023, 8:15 AM
Could that be a typo? I know Stanley used screws with 10-28. There isn't a #78 in my shop to check.

A front hold on my #778 makes it more comfortable to use:

The depth stop has also been altered. A piece of adhesive backed abrasive paper was attached to it to keep it from sliding.

jtk

Thanks Jim, you are right. It should be 10-28 and not 10-27

David Carroll
05-02-2023, 11:36 AM
The first specialty plane I ever bought was a Millers Falls No. 85. Mine is just black. I bought it from an Antique store in Western Mass somewhere. I've used it for 45 years. It's a great little plane. Some time ago I bought a box of assorted planes and parts at a garage sale, and it included a Stanley No. 78. (recent type). It was complete except for the fence rod. I ordered a new one from somebody online and it didn't fit. The threads were wrong. So I brought it into work and measured them and the rod had 1/4-20 threads! I ended up tapping the plane body for 1/4-20 and then filled the threads with JB Weld and after it cured I re-tapped it. It's held up fine. I don't need two, so the first one of my sons that shows more than a passing interest in tools will get it.

Jim Koepke
05-03-2023, 11:10 AM
… Some time ago I bought a box of assorted planes and parts at a garage sale, and it included a Stanley No. 78. (recent type). It was complete except for the fence rod. I ordered a new one from somebody online and it didn't fit. The threads were wrong. So I brought it into work and measured them and the rod had 1/4-20 threads! I ended up tapping the plane body for 1/4-20 and then filled the threads with JB Weld and after it cured I re-tapped it. It's held up fine. I don't need two, so the first one of my sons that shows more than a passing interest in tools will get it.

Many people do not realize Stanley tended to use a different thread pitch on just about every screw, nut or bolt on their planes. The worst part is the people selling parts do not know these differences and sell other makers parts as being good on a Stanley plane.

In my own experience a screw for the front of the tote on a #5 plane was available online for ~$8. My discovery that a frog screw had the same threads saved me a little cash. A spare frog screw was filed down to have a round head and used. At that time a little cash was a big deal to me.

jtk

Eric Brown
05-03-2023, 11:29 AM
It's taken me a while but I have most the taps and dies now. Finding the 9/32-24 was a challenge, especially for the left-handed versions. (Frog adjuster screw). Then I got a 5/15-22 for a Union lever cap screw. Sometimes I've had to gring a tap down to make it more of a bottoming tap. That's why when I find them I buy multiples.

steven c newman
05-03-2023, 12:09 PM
Might also look up Sargent No. 79. I have 2 of the older versions..
Both were sold as Craftsman planes....

The Stanley No. 78 I have, was sold by Montgomery Wards, as a Master Quality brand...

Jim Koepke
05-03-2023, 11:13 PM
It's taken me a while but I have most the taps and dies now. Finding the 9/32-24 was a challenge, especially for the left-handed versions. (Frog adjuster screw). Then I got a 5/15-22 for a Union lever cap screw. Sometimes I've had to gring a tap down to make it more of a bottoming tap. That's why when I find them I buy multiples.

A good source for odd taps > https://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Special-Pitch-Taps-up-to-1/2-inch/1260.html

Or you can start at the top of the tap section > https://www.victornet.com/departments/TAPS/100.html

They do have a $25 minimum order but it is easy to find other things to fill out an order. Also if they do not have something listed give them a call as they often can find the odd ball item.

jtk

Eric Brown
05-04-2023, 12:37 PM
A good source for odd taps > https://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Special-Pitch-Taps-up-to-1/2-inch/1260.html

Or you can start at the top of the tap section > https://www.victornet.com/departments/TAPS/100.html

They do have a $25 minimum order but it is easy to find other things to fill out an order. Also if they do not have something listed give them a call as they often can find the odd ball item.

jtk

Thanks Jim. Looks like a good resource.