PDA

View Full Version : Drawer depth vs width using ball bearing slides

Robert M Richardson
04-30-2023, 4:40 PM
Is there a rule of thumb regarding drawer depth vs width when using side mount ball bearing slides. My present application would be for drawers 39" wide by 12" deep in a library table layout (drawers on both sides of the table) so the slides could be longer than 12" by locating them at different heights on the two drawers.
Thanks!

Rick Potter
04-30-2023, 4:54 PM
Not aware of any rule, but I would definitely make the sides and bottom a little thicker because of the span. I would also use HD drawer slides. Longer slides, if there is room would also add strength to the tension on them when open.

Lee Schierer
04-30-2023, 5:06 PM
Check the specifications of your drawer slides and they will tell you the maximum recommended drawer width to prevent racking and damage to the slides. They do make heavier duty slides for wider drawer widths.

Robert M Richardson
04-30-2023, 6:20 PM
The specs I've seen want the drawer to be no wider than deep but I was shown a particularly wide drawer installation by a Grass distributer a year or so ago. It may have been an under mounted. I was hoping that there was a magic side mount slide that might work.

Bob Cooper
04-30-2023, 6:27 PM
I have many drawers that are much wider than deep. But I haven’t really done any real short drawers

Ron Selzer
04-30-2023, 6:37 PM
My dresser drawers are 58 1/2" wide, 18" deep, 8", 8", 10" high. In use every day for the last 3-4 years, built with dovetail corners and 3/8" baltic birch plywood bottoms. The side mount ball bearing slides were bought from Woodworkers Express.

Robert M Richardson
04-30-2023, 6:52 PM
My dresser drawers are 58 1/2" wide, 18" deep, 8", 8", 10" high. In use every day for the last 3-4 years, built with dovetail corners and 3/8" baltic birch plywood bottoms. The side mount ball bearing slides were bought from Woodworkers Supply.

Exactly my aspect ratio. Do you remember the brand?

Lee Schierer
04-30-2023, 7:50 PM
The specs I've seen want the drawer to be no wider than deep but I was shown a particularly wide drawer installation by a Grass distributer a year or so ago. It may have been an under mounted. I was hoping that there was a magic side mount slide that might work.

Here is a typical drawer slide specification sheet. Note that the maximum drawer width for this slide is 24"

Maurice Mcmurry
04-30-2023, 8:01 PM
KV has always been my slide of choice. I error on the heavy side. If your slides are over-rated you can cheat a little on the ratio.

Michael Burnside
04-30-2023, 8:24 PM
Really depends on the application too. For a cloths dresser that’s going to hold socks, shirts, etc then a 30” or slightly wider is no problem (obviously build the drawer properly to support the span). Whereas something in the kitchen to hold canned goods or pans, I usually try to stick to they 2:1 ratio or go heavy duty.

I’m a big fan of KV slides.

Ron Selzer
04-30-2023, 10:30 PM
Exactly my aspect ratio. Do you remember the brand?

Woodworkers Express
WE Preferred 0684075045961 10 18in 100lb. Economy Side Mount Ball Bearing Full Ext Drawer Slide, Zinc (woodworkerexpress.com) (https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/we-preferred-0684075045961-10-side-mount-100lb-drawer-slides.html)

I prefer to buy the 10 packs and have spares. Good enough for what I build and have held up well for my family. They can be abused and destroyed.
Yes there are nicer drawer slides out there for more than I am willing to pay UNLESS building for a paying customer.
Ron

Robert M Richardson
05-01-2023, 7:19 AM
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and advice. I think I'll push on with this project which is for my shop so if any operational issues arise there won't be an angry customer.

Tom Bender
05-11-2023, 7:23 AM
I've made drawers that pull out from either side which gives better access. Of course this requires wooden slides.

Jamie Buxton
05-12-2023, 5:50 PM
I've made drawers that pull out from either side which gives better access. Of course this requires wooden slides.
Actually, there are metal slides which do what you describe. Accursed makes them, and others might too.

Maurice Mcmurry
05-12-2023, 7:07 PM
There is a recent post of a really nice router table work station that's boasts driveshaft linked slides.

Flush handle drawers for router table (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?303402-Flush-handle-drawers-for-router-table)

Dan Hahr
05-12-2023, 11:15 PM
Built some 56" wide drawers using Blum under-mounts, no extra gimmicks. Used two knobs per drawer. They are a little binding if you tried to pull them out with one pull, but with both pulls, no issues at all. Blum recommends no wider than 24".

Dan